Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This place is awesome! I had no idea that a group like this existed. I am extremely interested in picking up a Pilot and with 2 kids I was considering the factory RES but now... After reading about and seeing some of the things you all have been able to do I am reconsidering the $2,000 factory RES. It seems to me that an aftermarket system may be the better idea.

I have several questions and I think hearing from you would definitely help me make up my ever changing mind.

1. Would you consider an aftermarket RES?

2. Can they be as tightly integrated with the factory audio system as the factory RES?

3. Would you stick with the flip down screen or would you opt for the seatback mount?

4. Would you have your aftermarket system installed at a national chain like Circuit City or a local place.

5. Anyone know of a place in San Diego?

Once again, I think this is the best sight. I found it about a month ago and you have convinced me that the Pilot is the car to get. I can't wait to get mine!

p.s. Anyone have a recent dealer recommendation in my area?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
smurray said:

1. Would you consider an aftermarket RES?

2. Can they be as tightly integrated with the factory audio system as the factory RES?

3. Would you stick with the flip down screen or would you opt for the seatback mount?

4. Would you have your aftermarket system installed at a national chain like Circuit City or a local place.

5. Anyone know of a place in San Diego?

My $0.02
1. Yes only if there is a substancial price difference. Also remember with factory RES you get the 3 pin input on the back console. Not sure if oyu would get in aftermarket

2. My guess is yes

3. Flip screen is in the center and easier to watch for everyone. Same cannot be said about the seat backsa

4. I always find local REBUTABLE electronic stores better than circuit city or best buy

5. Will pass on this one...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ramirami, I'll look around for a local guy and see what he says, then come back and maybe someone can tell me how legit the guys claim is.

·
Registered
465 Posts
One negative to the aftermarket: When the car is turned off, the DVD doesn't remember where it left off. The factory version does. I also like how it is so integrated with everything else in the vehicle.

I'm sure you've done a search on this site on this subject, but if you haven't, you'll sure be able to get a lot of good information by doing so. Tons of posts on the DVD player.

·
Registered
900 Posts
3. the flip-down screen can't be reached by little kids, so they are not likely to damage it. We love the integrated RES unit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually Catbert, my Pioneer aftermarket DVD player does remember where the DVD left off. ;)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Worth it.

I find that the RES is worth the money. I had no problem adding XM or a Changer to the Head Unit withou modulation, and you can easily send different sources to the front & the rear. Not to mention that a Playstation 2, GameCube or XBox can be easily added to the RES.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We love the central control on the dash that allows for setting the listening zones between the front and back seats (kids can watch DVD or play games while parents listen to something else). I'm not sure if an aftermarket RES will give you the same type of control.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Pilotless said:
Actually Catbert, my Pioneer aftermarket DVD player does remember where the DVD left off. ;)
I'm sorry Pilotless,
everyone I've talked to, including a co-worker, who has the aftermarket doesn't have this feature. Glad there's one out there that does! What brand is yours? That could be important to smurray and others...

Duhh, shoulda checked your signature line. :32:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I'll check around to see about those features in the aftermarket RES. It sounds so far like the factory RES is the way to go.

I can't wait to get my Pilot! Gotta talk the wife into it still though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm really glad we went with the factory RES. For one, I think the integration is superior. There clearly are some high quality aftermarket options available, but the other factor is that you also need to find an audio shop that will do the high quality job you want for the installation. I was much more comfortable paying a few hundred dollars more, knowing that Honda backs the RES with a warranty. For us the stock RES was the way to go. If you really want some bells and whistles, then I think an aftermarket is a good thing to consider. Good luck with the purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
warranty issue

One important point to be said is that with an aftermarket RES system your warranty is only 90 days to 1 year.
If you go with the Honda the DVD player and screen are included in your bumper to bumper warranty for 3 years 36 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts