Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to finally install the factory cooler that I had in the shelf about six months ago, lol. Pain in the ass but it’s done. Definitely remove the battery and tray. Also did a second round of Amsoil SS blue cap ATF. Shifts great. 20K on the 19. I also did the svcm a month ago.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Gonna do mine next months. Any tips?
Pulling out the battery box makes it much easier to access the fluid lines. Worst part for me was getting those plastic fasteners off without breaking them. Just be patient and give yourself plenty of time.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Gonna do mine next months. Any tips?
I was able to install an aftermarket tranny cooler from the top by removing the top grill bolts and the top radiator support bolts. This allows the top of the grill to be moved forward enough so the cooler can be dropped in place from the top side. I fashioned 2 mounting brackets that mount to the large aluminum bumper piece and hold the tranny cooler itself. The cooler is mounted behind behind the lower grill, similar to the Honda cooler mounting location/position. Routing hoses is pretty straight forward and I did remove the battery/tray to easily make the hose connections at the tranny. Honest 40* drop in TFT after the install.......and yes plan on a skinned knuckle or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Ordered online from Oregon Performance Transmission website.....$125. Brand/model is Tru-Cool MAX #49211. IIRC, another +/-$20 for flat bar, nuts/ bolts/washers, hose clamps. I had two 90 degree 3/8" fittings leftover from another project. I prefer the EFI hose clamps vs the worm gear clamps. I covered the rubber hoses with 3/4” split loom for a little extra abrasion protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Decided to finally install the factory cooler that I had in the shelf about six months ago, lol. Pain in the ass but it’s done. Definitely remove the battery and tray. Also did a second round of Amsoil SS blue cap ATF. Shifts great. 20K on the 19. I also did the svcm a month ago.
I converted to Amsoil signature when I installed mine this winter too. I'm very happy with the shifting characteristics so far....every bit as smooth as DW-1 but obviously Amsoil has much better heat management properties.

I added a Derale fluid-controlled thermostat when I installed mine this winter. With the thermostat, I max out at about 150F under normal driving conditions, a little cooler than I was hoping for in winter time. Its cold here though...

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I converted to Amsoil signature when I installed mine this winter too. I'm very happy with the shifting characteristics so far....every bit as smooth as DW-1 but obviously Amsoil has much better heat management properties.

I added a Derale fluid-controlled thermostat when I installed mine this winter. With the thermostat, I max out at about 150F under normal driving conditions, a little cooler than I was hoping for in winter time. Its cold here though...
I use the same fluid in my Tacoma. Works good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

I saw a similar looking t-stat when I was looking at coolers but it said the “open temp” was 180F. Decided against it. For the winter months I just block direct airflow to the cooler with a piece of plastic. Peak TFT has been ranging 150F-165F for the past several months using the plastic cover blocking direct airflow. Four cable ties hold the cover in place.....4 quick snips and the cover will be gone 'til next winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
I saw a similar looking t-stat when I was looking at coolers but it said the “open temp” was 180F. Decided against it. For the winter months I just block direct airflow to the cooler with a piece of plastic. Peak TFT has been ranging 150F-165F for the past several months using the plastic cover blocking direct airflow. Four cable ties hold the cover in place.....4 quick snips and the cover will be gone 'til next winter.
Nice! My black duct tape solution is significantly less classy.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
I was reading about transmission coolers last night and not sure why I'm was surprised but AAMCO will install the transmission coolers.

I'm very tempted to call and ask how much they charge.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

When you converted to Amsoil, did you do the typical 3x or more drains and refills or change it all at one time?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was reading about transmission coolers last night and not sure why I'm was surprised but AAMCO will install the transmission coolers.

I'm very tempted to call and ask how much they charge.
As far as I know the 9speed transmission requires the OEM cooler kit with special fittings and I don't know of anyone who has installed an aftermarket cooler on a 9speed. The 6 speeds are straightforward and any cooler can be used.

·
Registered
439 Posts
When you converted to Amsoil, did you do the typical 3x or more drains and refills or change it all at one time?
I've done 2x drain and fill with a few hundred miles in between. I did a change with DW-1 last year so I'm 3 changes in over the last 12 months.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
One would have to get creative mounting an aftermarket cooler to a 9 speed, but I can see it being done. If I was doing it, I would look into a cooler with a larger surface area than the OE cooler.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
868 Posts
One would have to get creative mounting an aftermarket cooler to a 9 speed, but I can see it being done. If I was doing it, I would look into a cooler with a larger surface area than the OE cooler.
I would think that the mounting would be similar to the 6speed but the fluid line connections are the issue as the 9speed doesn't have an external fluid filter. You may still be able to splice into the fluid warmer lines though.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I would think that the mounting would be similar to the 6speed but the fluid line connections are the issue as the 9speed doesn't have an external fluid filter.
.......and the hose connections at the cooler itself do not appear to be hose clamps, like the 6 speed.

Reactions: Hondamon
1 - 20 of 27 Posts