Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just ordered the factory trans cooler for our 19 EXL 6 speed AWD. Any tips to make things go a little smoother. I’ve heard removing the battery box helps. Is the box pretty straight forward? I also ordered Amsoil universal atf since the DW1 isn’t all that great. Thanks.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,403 Posts
Hello I just ordered the factory trans cooler for our 19 EXL 6 speed AWD. Any tips to make things go a little smoother. I’ve heard removing the battery box helps. Is the box pretty straight forward? I also ordered Amsoil universal atf since the DW1 isn’t all that great. Thanks.
Here is a couple of photos that can help. I added a factory cooler when rebuilding the front end.
I'm sure there will be lots of people wanting to know the results of switching to Amsoil ATF. Are you doing a 3x drain, fill and drive cycle?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Thanks for the first picture. I've been looking for a picture to show how the clamp comes off of the ATF filter. I knew there's a single bolt somewhere. This shows it. To me it appears you unscrew the single bolt and rotate the right side of the clamp away and then the left side somehow pulls away from something holding it in. The left side is still a mystery for me. Of course if and when I do the ATF filter change I will be blindly reaching up there so it's more reassuring to know how the clamp actually gets on and off.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks
Here is a couple of photos that can help. I added a factory cooler when rebuilding the front end.
View attachment 138325 View attachment 138326 I'm sure there will be lots of people wanting to know the results of switching to Amsoil ATF. Are you doing a 3x drain, fill and drive cycle?
Thanks for the photos. The plan is to do three drain and fills. I’ve had good luck with Amsoil in my Tacoma. Hopefully the same in the Pilot. Back when we had an 08 CRV that specked DW1 I ran Maxlife in that.

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
Thanks for the first picture. I've been looking for a picture to show how the clamp comes off of the ATF filter. I knew there's a single bolt somewhere. This shows it. To me it appears you unscrew the single bolt and rotate the right side of the clamp away and then the left side somehow pulls away from something holding it in. The left side is still a mystery for me. Of course if and when I do the ATF filter change I will be blindly reaching up there so it's more reassuring to know how the clamp actually gets on and off.
It's a very simple job. Just make note of filter direction before removing the old one. 😁

·
Registered
12,403 Posts
LoL. I’m not going to mess with the filter since it’s only got 15K miles.
I thought the same thing until I saw the black DW-1 syrup come out of my transmission. This was at 19k

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
Hello I just ordered the factory trans cooler for our 19 EXL 6 speed AWD. Any tips to make things go a little smoother. I’ve heard removing the battery box helps. Is the box pretty straight forward?
Removing the battery box makes access to the filter and hoses much easier. The battery box and tray are pretty straightforward to remove. Easy to reset everything once you hook the battery back up too and no security codes to enter.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Removing the battery box makes access to the filter and hoses much easier. The battery box and tray are pretty straightforward to remove. Easy to reset everything once you hook the battery back up too and no security codes to enter.
Awesome. I’m assuming the radio stations stay the same? What about all the safety stuff? Lane wandering. We currently have that off.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
Awesome. I’m assuming the radio stations stay the same? What about all the safety stuff? Lane wandering. We currently have that off.
If I remember correctly, you lose your radio presets and everything else defaults to factory settings. You also have to do a security system reset with the keyfob in the car. You just have to follow the screen prompts when you start the car.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hum.......I didn’t loose anything and the battery was out over night.

Excellent tranny cooler install thread by Daytripper64. It helped me a bunch doing my aftermarket cooler install.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hum.......I didn’t loose anything and the battery was out over night.

Excellent tranny cooler install thread by Daytripper64. It helped me a bunch doing my aftermarket cooler install.

Thank you so much sir.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
653 Posts
side opposite bolt is basically a U shape. pull it over about 90 degrees and falls right off. If I change the CRV one before you get to it I'll get a picture. My new to my daughter, 2008 CRV, dealer did the factory filter according to records. $181 parts/labor :eek: The factory filter has a lip that secures in the clamp so really only goes one way.

I lost no presets on radio. Not the easiest task to do the cooler. I recommended in other thread to gauge your time/value against your sanity/swear jar/sweat equity contributions etc. See what dealer charges for parts/labor to do it. I used the time to change my filter to a Magnefine and clean the body ground contact point (dremel lightly paint at contact on body and use Copper Termination Compound) to avoid future electrical issues.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts