Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add tint to my 2016 touring. I am happy with the tint level of the factory tints in the rear, not looking to go any darker, just really looking for heat rejection benefits. Does anybody know what the heat rejection % is for factory tints in rear or how one can find out? If it is only a marginal difference between the factory and the pinnacle F1, then I don't want to spend the extra money to do those. I was quoted 400 for everything but the windshield, or 120 just for the two front windows. $280 is a lot to spend if I am not really going to notice a difference in the car staying cooler in the sun.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ote=cward0625;888017]Looking to add tint to my 2016 touring. I am happy with the tint level of the factory tints in the rear, not looking to go any darker, just really looking for heat rejection benefits. Does anybody know what the heat rejection % is for factory tints in rear or how one can find out? If it is only a marginal difference between the factory and the pinnacle F1, then I don't want to spend the extra money to do those. I was quoted 400 for everything but the windshield, or 120 just for the two front windows. $280 is a lot to spend if I am not really going to notice a difference in the car staying cooler in the sun.

Thanks for the help.[/quote]

I just got a quote to do the Front and Passenger.
I was quoted$70.00 dollars for both window . This is for Lifetime tint and is Computer cut to fit perfect.
The Factory tint is 17%. Be careful this is illegal in most states on the Front windows.
I saw a picture of a Honda with 25% it looked close to factory and is legal in most state. Also. 17% tint is hard to see out of at night /dusk time
I can not believe what they are charging to tint two windows!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks good to know, I think I will only be able to do 50 % in the front then.

Are your tints the pinnacle ceramic f1s?

Still curious as to the heat reflection of the existing factory tints.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, definitely check state laws before choosing tint % for the front. In VA its 50% and no tint on the windshield (okay, the top 6" or so might be okay). Much more lenient in year round sunny areas (FL, CA come to mind)

Also check that the tint works with the remote... some tints have metallic particles which may interfere with radio waves and reduce usage distance... at least with old proximity sensors and RF.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My dealer told me this and I found it interesting. SUVs have different tinting laws in most states . That's how Honda was able to get away with such dark factory tint on the Pilot.

For instance in GA there is no restriction on tint for the back windows and rear windshield.

However the front windows cannot be less than 32%.

Strangely enough sedans have to be 32% or less on all windows.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Here's a list:
Tint Laws

Make sure to click on the state to see details and reflective value. Haven't figured out what the column "NET/FILM" means... but comparing VA and TN, it seems to mean reflective/metallic tint or straight film.

As always, find a second source to back this one up for your state.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I looked at the tint laws site. Where does it say you can tint a front windshield? Another thread was talking about tinting the front windshield. I just think it is bizarre that someone would want to interfere with their vision while driving. If it is legal somewhere....I just cant believe it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should probably clarify, when I mentioned quotes on everything but the windshield, I was not intending to pay to darken my windshield...I was looking for a transparent option with just heat rejection at the time...

I will say I don't know much about tints, but it was my understanding that was possible.

Either way, didn't intend for this thread to digress on that issue...the primary intent of this thread was to understand the heat rejection properties of the existing factory tints in the pilot.

·
Registered
774 Posts
So I looked at the tint laws site. Where does it say you can tint a front windshield? Another thread was talking about tinting the front windshield. I just think it is bizarre that someone would want to interfere with their vision while driving. If it is legal somewhere....I just cant believe it.
Tinting a front windshield is illegal in all states. You cannot make it darker. I'm not sure about applying a clear film for heat rejection, but my guess is that is illegal too. However, you are far less likely to get caught if you apply a clear film as it is usually not noticeable unless you are specifically looking for it.

It's kind of the same thing as HID kits. They are illegal everywhere, but if you get a good one there is a much much smaller chance you will get caught and fined. If you throw HID bulbs in standard reflector halogens then light scatters everywhere, people get blinded, and you get a ticket. Same thing if you pick a super high temperature bulb that looks purple, you're going to get a ticket because everyone can tell it is not stock.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would check with your local state law. For NY, you can't have windshields that are dark. If you do tint, the windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.

I plan on tinting my windshield and all windows for UV and heat protection. I checked a local reputable tint shop and they are aware of the 30% rule. They're okay also with making a cutout for the honda sense camera.

To get back on topic, I don't think the current windows offer much in terms of heat rejection. Not sure about the back windows which are dark.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Either way, didn't intend for this thread to digress on that issue...the primary intent of this thread was to understand the heat rejection properties of the existing factory tints in the pilot.
Maybe an unscientific experiment is required here... Stick a thermometer in the side of an open shoebox. Make sure its not touching the bottom or edges. Take a reading in the back seat and front seat. Obviously put the box in view of the sun, take the reading at a set time. Temp difference should give you an approximation of the heat rejection of the rear tint.

Could also try a light meter or something to check percentage of transmission.

* EDIT: Quick google search came up with this post about OEM dark tinted glass:
http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/76145-dark-factory-glass-film-heat-rejection/?p=1154348
Somewhere in the thread a member mentions that typical glass is 9%-23% VLT, and adding film could help but not much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having lived in Florida, until recently, I had the Llumar Air Blue 80 clear tint applied on the front windshield of our vehicle. It helps cut down on the interior heat a lot, mostly because it blocks quite a bit of the UV rays. I can tell that there is a significant difference because our other vehicle has no tint on the windshield and you can definitely feel the warmth on your skin when driving.

Be aware that there will be a slight color variation to your vision when using the Air Blue 80. After a while though, it's not noticeable anymore. I recommend it if you live in a place with a warm climate or is sunny for most of the year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just tinted Windows today. Great Tint place here in South Florida , Tint Magic they used
SunTek CXP Carbon Series. 25% (Lifetime Warrenty) matches perfect. They had a hard time with the little window in front of the Passenger and Drivers window. Apparently the computer did not cut it exactly and I notices a very thin line on top. They hand cut that one and it came out perfect. The rest of the car is 17% and the front is 25%. It looks very close when looking at it from outside but a little lighter to look thru in the front seats of car. Over all great job. Cost $84.00 bucks and included front strip on Front windshield

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just curious about how tint laws are applied across state lines. Obviously you have to comply with the state where you register the vehicle. What if you drive in another state with more restrictive laws? My wife got pulled over once in Oregon for rear window tinting which is legal in California. (Of course, she was speeding but the officer probably wasn't able to clock her and just used the windows as an excuse to do a stop.) If you move to another state do you have to remove your tinting that is non-compliant?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just curious about how tint laws are applied across state lines. Obviously you have to comply with the state where you register the vehicle. What if you drive in another state with more restrictive laws? My wife got pulled over once in Oregon for rear window tinting which is legal in California. (Of course, she was speeding but the officer probably wasn't able to clock her and just used the windows as an excuse to do a stop.) If you move to another state do you have to remove your tinting that is non-compliant?
Yes, once you have plates from that State you are bound to all their laws and regulations.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Speaking of state laws. If you tint darker than state laws you may never get a ticket, however if you get in an accident and the other party mentions your tint your chances of being at fault will go up astronomically.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts