Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I ordered a Pilot over 3 months ago and we got a call from our local dealer today telling us our pilot was in but not in the color we ordered. The pilot they received was a sandstone metallic where as we had ordered a sage brush pearl. Our dealer is blaming Honda for the mistake saying sometimes they run out of colors etc. It seems to me that they would/should contact us before they build the car if the color we want is unavailable and see if there is any other color we could live with. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I don’t entirely trust our dealer and feel like the mistake was probably on their end. I don’t particular want to wait another 3+ months (especially with the factory closed down after the port closers, see http://www.caranddriver.com). We sold our old car (a 2001 Toyota Sequoia) so I don’t think we really can wait that long. The dealer is saying they are going to try to locate a sage brush pearl for us but I don’t hold much hope at this point. Has anyone had any problems like this ordering their pilot? I know there’s some dealers on this forum do you guys have any insight on what might have happened with my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the factory must have used their last can of sagebrush on mine...(my sagebrush exl just came in the other day)...

on a more serious note, the dealer is feeding you a load of &$*#

The whole order/allocation process they go through is a little convoluted, but they probably just screwed it up on their end and didnt get there request into honda through the normal channel..A Sagebrush they order doesnt just show up with a different color. They have know for several weeks (or more) what was coming to them from the factory

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
How much if a discount are they offering?

Talk to the sales manager or even the general manager.
Be calm, be nice, and be firm.
Did you have a sales contract? Did you put down a deposit?
Seems to me that small claims court might just cost them more than a decent discount.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
$$$ off for the Sandstone?

I know that's a bummer but hey - That Sandstone is also a GREAT color!! Just don't tell 'em that you think that, assuming that you do. Tell 'em you just don't wanna wait because you sold your vehicle. Ask for a discount of some kind?
And I agree that they definitely know what's in production and when it should arrive. Ugh! Dealer's like this! :3:
They probably screwed up the color order or somebody's relative wanted the Sagebrush. Do you have a deposit down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh we put a deposit down...

I've got a copy of the order form we filled out with the dealer here in front of me and it clearly says sage brush on it for the color. We also gave the dealer a $500 check (a pretty standard deposit for one of these from what I’ve read here) which they've incidentally cashed already. We are going to try to talk to them tomorrow about a discount for the sandstone metallic but to be honest there are so many people waiting for these things they could probably get above MSRP for one sitting on the lot like this, so it’d be no loss to them if they tell us to take a hike. My wife is pretty set on that sage brush pearl too so she may not want the sandstone at any price. This dealer seemed pretty cool about giving us our deposit back when we ordered it if we didn’t like the color or something when it came in so I’m not too worried about getting the deposit back. Of course they didn’t say anything back then about them ordering the wrong color.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Where is the dealer, if you don't mind?
Maybe someone here can recommend a good dealer close to you.

·
Registered
991 Posts
rmayes said:
My wife and I ordered a Pilot over 3 months ago and we got a call from our local dealer today telling us our pilot was in but not in the color we ordered. The pilot they received was a sandstone metallic where as we had ordered a sage brush pearl. Our dealer is blaming Honda for the mistake saying sometimes they run out of colors etc. It seems to me that they would/should contact us before they build the car if the color we want is unavailable and see if there is any other color we could live with. Has anyone heard of anything like this? I don’t entirely trust our dealer and feel like the mistake was probably on their end. I don’t particular want to wait another 3+ months (especially with the factory closed down after the port closers, see http://www.caranddriver.com). We sold our old car (a 2001 Toyota Sequoia) so I don’t think we really can wait that long. The dealer is saying they are going to try to locate a sage brush pearl for us but I don’t hold much hope at this point. Has anyone had any problems like this ordering their pilot? I know there’s some dealers on this forum do you guys have any insight on what might have happened with my car.

ohh man, sorry to hear that.. but that was Honda's fault and not yours... take alook at the color, you may still like it... but Honda should give you a discount for sure. or give you your money back.

Honda's mistake, so they have to fix it..

rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer is...

<p>Markely Motors in Fort Collins, CO. I realize that there are many good Honda dealers within an hours drive or so of Fort Collins (in fact I almost went with a dealer in Boulder) but I wanted to try and get the vehicle from the dealer that we would probably take the car to if we had any warranty work done on it. To be honest I've heard pretty good things about Markely but I think they are definitely at fault in this case. As someone pointed out above Honda doesn't just ship out a car that's the wrong color...unless it was ordered that way.</p>
<p>The other issue is if we order from another dealer then we have to start all over with waiting several months for another pilot unless we find another dealer that is sympathetic and can get us higher up on the waiting list if that is even possible. I've been looking around and there are quite a few 2002 MDX's that dealers actually have on the lot and are starting to sell them below MSRP to unload them. While we really wanted a RES that may be a way for us to get into a pilot-like vehicle without having to wait. In the meantime we'll see what Markley can find for us and maybe take another look at the sandstone to see if we can learn to like it (I really don't, sorry to anyone who does, I know many of you don't like sage brush pearl either :D ).</p>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where are you located

rmayes

if possible I will try to help you if you are trying to get a sage brush pearl. DO you want a EXL with DVD entertainment system or just EXL? First let me know quickly where are you located.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paven we must have posted at almost the same time

<p>I'm located in Fort Collins, Colorado. We wanted an EX with leather and the rear entertainment system. Any help finding one would be greatly appreciated. I'm really impressed with the responses on this forum. I've been lurking on this forum for some time now and it is definitely the best resource for the Honda Pilot on the web.</p>

·
Registered
47 Posts
IMHO it sounds like the salesman or dealer short changed you. But hey I have a reason to be suspicious. I've personally been screwed over by a salesman. Luckily the sales manager has been extremely cooperative and helpful in correcting the problem.(http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1494).

My salesman said they had a Sage Brush Pearl ready for delivery, but in fact he was flat out lying. I found out about this after I put down a $500 deposit. The salesman was banking on the fact that he could eventually trade for another Pilot to get the Pilot I was looking for. He promised my wife and I that our Pilot was built and was on its way when in fact there was no such car allocated to the dealer. hat salesman was fired for such actions. We weren't the only ones that were lied to.

Ask the dealer to see their order for October and check to see that they really ordered a Sage Brush Pearl for you. I really don't trust salesman. Perhaps they did get a Sage Brush in but sold it to another customer who was willing to pay more. ???

I really hope you can get the Sage Brush. It does seem to be a rare color, but I really don't think Honda "ran out of colors" per se. Sandstone is a nice color too--so if you go with that I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Best of luck to you!

-Pj

·
Registered
29 Posts
idea for you

Rmayes:

Sorry to hear about your situation. As others have noted, it is almost certainly the fault of your dealer. I wouldn't give them a second chance.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider adopting the approach I took. I sent a fax to 40 dealers in MD and VA (I live in the Metro DC area) asking them for their best price under MSRP on a Sage EX-L. I got 12 responses. Nobody had the car on the lot, but a few had a Sage on order. I only listed a return fax,so I didn't have to spend a day on the phone. Negotiating by fax is far easier. I pushed hard on the dealers to give me a better price. I ended up WAY below MSRP on a Sage with a 10/14 production date. Granted, it's 2.5 hours away, but, for the money I saved, I could hire a limo to drive me there. I should have the car within a month (unless the dealer is playing games -- I which case I'll simply sue him).

My approach was premised on the "broad net" theory -- cast widely and you will find the car you want at the price you can pay.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about going to the selling dealer for service. If the car is under warranty, your local dealer is obligated to service it. And, if the local dealer has half a brain, he'll be bucking for your business when you purchase your NEXT car, so he should treat you with respect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Don't settle

Don't settle on a color you don't want. The Sandstone has a completely different color interior (which I believe is the ugliest "tan" color on the market....just my opinion)

I have seen Sagebrush come and go at local dealerships and they were not reserved for anyone (I asked). Your dealership could easily swap that Sandstone for a Sagebrush. If they won't, get your deposit back and go elsewhere.

Since you're paying $30,000 for a vehicle, get everything you want!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
GOOD Bye, BAD Buy

If your wife REALLY doesn't want the Sandstone, then do not take it. I did that on a new car a long time ago and I despised each day of ownership because I felt like a total wuss because I took it.

BUT, it gave me new resolve.

That will never happen to me again.

:whip: I think you need to walk into the General Manager's office, or at the very least call him/her and say, "We need to have a conversation" and explain what happened. At least you'll feel better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DON'T SETTLE! Even if you have to wait 2 or 3 more months, eventually you will have what you want.

BUT WAIT! First have a sit-down with the biggest boss at the dealership and share your disatisfaction. If it says, on paper, that you ordered Sage Brush, then that's what you should be getting -- and fast.

Ask him to do a dealer/locator for you. They search their computer and find one in your state/region. (One of my local dealers said this would cost $100, which is crap. Another did it for free.)

I think they should be willing to drive as far as necessary to pick up and deliver the car you ordered -- period. (So what if the car has a few miles on it when you get it -- the warranty will start at that mileage.)

Bottom line: If they don't deliver in a timely manner the car you ordered, write a letter to the dealership's owner, to Honda, and to the BBB, then take your business elsewhere. Three months from now may seem like forever, but in three years you'll be driving what you wanted!

<b>P.S. Be sure to post updates for us!</b>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update, not much to report...

Well I went in and talked to our dealer today, they are sticking to their story at this point and basically saying they are looking for a pilot for us or we can order another one which they say we could have within a month and a half. In the meantime I’ve called a few other dealers and the outlook seems pretty grim. One dealer quoted me 7 months wait for a pilot like we want. The interesting thing is I told a few of the dealers what happened with our original order and every one of them said our dealership here screwed us. I talked to one owner of a large Honda dealership and he flat out said our dealership was lying. He said he knows exactly what Pilots they’ll be getting for the next 90 days and he’s never gotten anything other than what Honda said they were getting. At any rate, I think I’m going to get my deposit back and take my business elsewhere. I’m thinking about trying the fax method that fitzkorn recommended above. The other thing is it seems like if you don’t want the RES or NAV there are lots of Pilots around (I could probably get a regular EX-L in Sage Brush Pearl in a week or two).

The other thing I think may be relevant in this situation is we were originally supposed to trade in our Sequoia towards the Pilot. I think what happened in this case was someone without a trade in (and possibly willing to spend more than MSRP) got our Pilot. The ironic thing is we sold our Sequoia before our Pilot came in so we had cash ready to pay for the Pilot which I guess we’ll now be taking somewhere else to buy our Pilot (although I wouldn’t pay above MSRP for it). It’s almost amazing how these Honda dealers treat you when they have people lined up to buy their cars. Usually car dealers will kiss your ass to try to make the sale. The feeling I get after talking to most of the Honda dealers is like they could care less if you buy a Pilot through them or not. Many of them flat out said they were charging over MSRP take it or leave it. I think their attitude would probably change if you were looking at 1 of the hundreds of Civics or Accords sitting on their lot I guess. At any rate I’ll update again after I ask for our deposit back it’s going to be interesting to see how they react to that.

·
Registered
991 Posts
good for you... they should give your deposit back.. don't worry you will find another dealer that will treat you better..

take care

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: update, not much to report...

rmayes said:
Well I went in and talked to our dealer today, they are sticking to their story at this point and basically saying they are looking for a pilot for us or we can order another one which they say we could have within a month and a half.
You know ... if they're doing this to you, then they are doing it to other people, too.

I would reduce the events into written form, without editorializing it - just the facts, and then have the Sales Manager sign off on it when you ask for your money.

That way, you not only have some assure that they understood you were not breaching or breaking the contract because of a desire on YOUR part but because of a failure on THEIRS.

Then, I would send a copy to American Honda.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gosh, I feel for ya. If you are left without a vehicle and they don't want to provide you with something while you wait, I wonder if there are any legal recourse available for times wasted, convenience, etc.

In any case, like everyone said: Don't settle for a color you didn't want. It's a good chunk of change to buy a new Pilot (well, for us it was anyway) and you'd hate driving it, and hate crossing a fellow Sage Brush even more. As for getting a rebate on the SS, good luck. They have problems keeping inventory while selling over MSRP. I'm sure they'd rather give you your $500 back rather than losing $3K in sales by selling it at sticker price.

They screwed up but it's no skin off their back. You're the inconvenienced party, but unfortunatly, Honda Pilot is a buyers market right now: They don't need you all that much, so why should they care? Can you tell I'm bitter right now?

It truly sucks my friend.

- Ben

·
Registered
388 Posts
Running out of Color BS

Highly Unlikey that they would run out and if they did that they would even tell the dealer, I have worked as a supplier to Honda and unless your plant blew up or there was a monsoon or something you would not let it happen because you would not be a supplier any more you cannot interrupt production/demand/cashflow. You would work around the clock, sell your first born, and Air freight as need at your expense to "save face". Would like to see if you get a response from Honda about this issue.:4:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts