Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just installed the factory hitch. (for some reason the wiring harness wasn't received with rest of package- waiting to hear back from Tim). Anyway, the hitch goes on relatively easily. Although an assistant would be nice, I had no problem, with the help of a single jack stand, to hold up one side while things got lined up.
No need to remove the muffler (like on the MDX). I did lower the spare (which is quite simple) to get torque wrench access on a couple bolts. Looks good. Once you have all the tools together, figure on about 1/2 hr.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
possibly this weekend (if children cooperate). Just picked up a qt of Honda trans oil to top off after install. Will advise as to how the job goes as soon as completed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Torque wrench access

You mentioned torque wrench access. Does this mean that I would have to use a torque wrench and not my usual technique with my 'moderately sensitive wrist' as a torque meter?

Seriously, do the installation instructions specify desired or required torques for the bolts?

Rob

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm no mechanic or expert on the subject, but would think you could install hitch without torque wrench. There are 3 size bolts used. The 8 big ones tighten about same as a wheel lug would. The 2 smaller sizes tighten about how tight you would reasonably tighten (don't kill yourself) with a normal size metric box wrench. If you do plan on rotating tires yourself on a regular basis, a 1/2" torque wrench is not a bad investment. I would guess $50 at Home Depot.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
self install of coolers

Just finished installing factory p.s. & trans coolers. Bought pkg from Tim (www.hondacuraworld.com). He emailed me instructions. You may want to review first to get an idea of what job entails. His current website gives instruction for the installation on the Acura MDX which is not the same, but fairly similar. Assume Pilots instructions will be there shortly.
Here are some suggestions to make job easier.
1. before beginning, be sure to pick up qt of trans fluid and bottle of power steering fluid (I got the Honda stuff recommended in manual). I added about 1/2 qt of trans fluid after job.
2. Trans dipstick hole is extremely narrow (3/8" diameter) and deep in engine compartment. Make sure you have appropriate long, narrow, funnel to access.
3. may want to pick up a few extra "clips", as you're bound to break a few taking off front bumper/nose- which is merely plastic & weighs just a few pounds. Removal of nose piece is 3 steps in instructions. After completing each step, keep the clips/bolts (for that step) together -I used 3 plastic cups. Makes reassembly easier- as there are alot of clips
4. job took about 1 1/2 hrs. While no mechanic by trade, I consider myself reasonably competent. This job is about at my limit.
ps cooler is simple (as you're replacing the one already in place). tranny cooler is a little trickier. I was initially unsure which (of the two) was the "return hose" coming off tranny. Diagram seems to show it as the lower of the two (I hope?)
5. BAD NEWS: probably don't want to drink beer while doing this job, as you will need to focus on matters at hand. GOOD NEWS: Beers will taste exceptionally good when you're done.:7:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hitch Receiver Pin Hole Placement

Hi all,

There was a discussion a while back on the AcuraMDX forum about a problem with the hitch pin hole being too close to the reinforcing band. If you tried using a locking hitch pin (with a bike rack for example) the hitch pin wouldn't go in all the way. My question is... has Honda fixed this with the Pilot hitch? How far away would you say the pin hole is from the reinforcinng band? Thanks.

PeterF

2003 Honda Pilot EX SS

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Looks close to me

It is very close on the Pilot hitch.
I would guess it is teh same as the MDX.
Will have to try my hitch pin lock to see if it fits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply. Would it be too much trouble to measure it with a ruler and post the measurement? Acura owners have reported anywhere between 1/8" to 1/4" clearance from the edge of the hole to the reinforcing band. One owner had a towing shop grind down the reinforcing band to get his rack lock to fit.

Thanks again.

PeterF
2003 Honda Pilot EX SS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone with the Honda trailer hitch used a Yakima Roc bike rack on it yet? I am trying to figure out which hitch to get and want to get one that works with the Yakima rack.

Thanks,
Henry

·
Registered
28 Posts
davemac said:
Peter F. Clearance on my factory hitch (from hole to band) is 3/16"
Thanks davemac. I just re-checked the AcuraMDX forum and users only reported 1/16" of an inch clearance. One user ground a 1/8" semicircle in the reinforcing band to accomodate his Yakima ROC 4 locking pin. If my math is correct, 3/16" is the magic number. So it looks like the Honda engineers moved the hole back JUST ENOUGH. You would think they would have gone 1/4" or 1/2" for good luck. Thanks again for your help.

PeterF

2003 Honda Pilot EX SS

·
Registered
28 Posts
heng5 said:
Has anyone with the Honda trailer hitch used a Yakima Roc bike rack on it yet? I am trying to figure out which hitch to get and want to get one that works with the Yakima rack.

Thanks,
Henry
Henry,

The Honda hitch should work. If you decide to go that route, please post your results. I will do the same for my Thule rack.

Peter

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am planning on having the Honda hitch package, with wiring harness, installed at the dealer next Monday. Just decided to let them do it. At one dealer, the price was over $1,800 installed! They were saying that the labor is 5 hours. I am supposed to get the whole package for $852. Henry

1 - 20 of 259 Posts