Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new black edition and trying to order all the components to install the factory hitch problem is the hands free relocation part is back ordered with no eta or returning to stock. Is there any work around? Can the antennas just be coiled up or routed along the bumper? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
I just purchased a new black edition and trying to order all the components to install the factory hitch problem is the hands free relocation part is back ordered with no eta or returning to stock. Is there any work around? Can the antennas just be coiled up or routed along the bumper? Thanks in advance.

Search some of the Tow Hitch threads.
I believe I remember reading someone used the stock hands free with the factory hitch.

The antennas are flexible you can probably ziptie them to secure the ends.

Did you check.... College Hills & Bernardi???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Search some of the Tow Hitch threads.
I believe I remember reading someone used the stock hands free with the factory hitch.

The antennas are flexible you can probably ziptie them to secure the ends.

Did you check.... College Hills & Bernardi???
It is backordered nation-wide with no accurate in stock date...

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
It is backordered nation-wide with no accurate in stock date...
Pretty crazy, I spent 15 minutes searching and came up with nothing.

There might be some used ones on ebay but I do remember reading you can retrofit the stock part.

Search the tow hitch threads, unfortunately there are a lot of them.

The plastic on the stock part has the trim line already notched so you can cut along that line and get the right fit. The only issue will be the sensor length.

I think I have my original sensor handy and can take a picture later of how flexible it is so you can have an idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For those interested you do not need the relocation kit. I just cut the original in the same place that the kit calls for and used some zip tie tabs to attach the antennas to the new lower panel. A kick under either side of the hitch will open it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For those interested you do not need the relocation kit. I just cut the original in the same place that the kit calls for and used some zip tie tabs to attach the antennas to the new lower panel. A kick under either side of the hitch will open it.
Nice! How long did the whole install take? Run into any issues at all?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for testing this. I haven’t been able to confirm this with anyone and was just about to order the hitch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hitch install is easy and straight forward. Just be sure to install the plug end on the hitch before you raise it up. I held the hitch up and my wife put one of the bolts in. I used the etrailer harness. You have to drill new holes for the plug to bolt on, it’s longer than needed and you have to insert the wires into the plug. Not a big deal but adds extra time. I removed the screw that holds the tie down and sanded the primer off and put the ground wire behind it.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
OK, went ahead and did the install today and just ziptied the antennas in place like Vipr did. Seems to be working so far!
Any chance you have photos to share or can you take some? Where you tied them up?

It would be helpful for others and quite frankly save some folks some money....

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did not take any pictures, but you can run the top antenna above the hitch and the bottom one below the hitch. I used the mounting bases linked below with some zipties to secure the antenna where I thought I needed it. It will be pretty obvious when you're doing this where good places to mount them are. I might go back and use some double sided tape for the lower antenna where it runs directly under the hitch because it's too narrow there for a mounting base. I am not sure how well the mounting squares will last, but for now it should work fine. Yes, this should save people who are tired of waiting for the backordered part or who already have the normal handsfree power tailgate installed and don't want to waste $90...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts