Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Factory Hitch Kit (Towing Package) Dealer Install

Intro:

Over a month ago we put down a deposit on a white EX cloth interior and then waited two weeks for it to come in. It arrived, but it was so beat up in transit that it was immediately sent back to Honda. Dealer #1 helped us search for another similar car, and we found one on a lot less than an hour away. We drove to Dealer #2 that day and signed up for it. I only wanted one dealer installed option: the full hitch kit. We were told the car would be ready in three days, two to get the parts.

1-1/2 weeks later the parts arrived at the dealer, and the shop spent the next two full days installing the hitch kit. Last weekend the dealership declared the Pilot to be ready, but one more thing delayed our picking up the car (they were providing a full-service spare) until today.

The hitch installation with wiring looks to be fine, but when we walked around the car with our copy of the installation instructions (thank you forums!), we found that the left side of the bumper had been reinstalled incorrectly, and didn't match the right. The dealer suggested we accept the car and take up the bumper fit issue with the dealership closer to our home (they'll be servicing it). Not likely! So now it's back to the shop to get the bumper pulled and properly installed.

It's a good idea to review the online instructions for any options you order on your Pilot. Your dealer shop may be like this one - ours was the first option they installed on a Pilot!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
?????:

The bumber is not removed for the hitch to go on.
Hitch and wiring took me less than 2 hrs, and it was the first Honda factory hitch, and the second hitch of any kind.

·
Registered
226 Posts
bumper is removed

In order to install the ATF and PS cooler, you need to take the bumper off, and what a pain it is. I just did it last night.
Instruction doesn't tell you exactly how the bumper comes off... It's held together by bunch of clips that you cann't see.
I can see how they didn't go back on exactly right so everything aligns correctly. I eventually got it aligned.
Also check to see that they didn't break any clips, and there are lots of clips holding these things.
Double check the PS and ATF fluid level too just to be sure.
What did they charge you for the kit and install?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You asked how much they charged for the installed hitch kit.

The dealer quoted the following:
MSRP: 29730
Plus: 1000
DIO Credit: 700
Full Hitch Kit: 1100
Total: 31130

Depending on the way you count it, the hitch kit cost $1100 or $400 installed. Of course, given it's taken them two days to do it unsucessfully so far, plus what they'll be doing today to make it right, this may be a bargain in labor charges by the time they finish.

·
Registered
226 Posts
dealer should've done it right the 1st time

I think the dealer should've done it right the first time.
I paid $525 total from Tim, and I provided time and hard work to put it on. I'd say I spent 3-4 hours on it.
Check their work, as I said.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Ooops Sorry

The post said "Hitch", not "Towing Package".
Yes the front bumber has to come off for the coolers.
Yes there are lots of clips.
Yes it is hard to do without breaking a clip. (Actually a slot in the bumber).
Yes I broke one (fixed it with two drops of super glue, the clip is hidden when re-attached) (Note, use the glue top fixt the clip, then let dry before re-attaching. You do not want to glue the bummper on!)
I don't think the dealer could do any better, saw no reference to a special tool or procedure other than just pulling gently.
Maybe the Body Repair Manual has tips. Anyone have this book yet?
I am not sure how to put the bumebr on "misaligned" as everything is tight whenm it is snapped into place.
Maybe the dealer put it back on with broken clips?

The Hitch and wiring are way under a 2 hour job.
The bumber and coolers may be another 2 hrs (I did the foglights at the same time, so my time was longer.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the dealer almost got it right installing the hitch kit. I took delivery on the white EX today.

They only missed one of the tabs (on the right) that should have been cut off (they cut it off before I left). Along the way, they scratched up the bumper, so that got repainted before delivery. Looking closely, there are a few radiator fins that got pranged in the second bumper installation. They look really fragile.

I started with the installation instructions, and found the tab. Thanks to the forum for the excellent check list, which I carefully went through prior to accepting the vehicle. I learned a lot more about the features and their operation through that process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts