Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using the factory in dash 6 disc changer? I'm about to order my 04 and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it or if I should go aftermarket. I know aftermarket is usually better, but I like the idea of the in dash changer. I'm going to have chewing dogs in the back so installing a changer back there is questionable.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you go after-market or even if you use the Honda stand-alone changer, put it under the driver's seat instead of in the trunk.

What type of differences are you expecting between the in-dash changer and an after-market unit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that was my next question. Would it fit under the front seats and not interfere with their adjustment?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The area under the seat is built to fit the Honda "under-seat" changer and therefore, most other brands fit there as well. The Honda changer has mounting brackets which work with existing seat mounts, no drilling required.

If you go after-market, make sure it will work with the stearing wheel controls and radio controls or else you will need a seperate controller or remote.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing you have the factory changer. Correct?
Are you happy with it? If it mounts under the seat and it's cheaper than the in dash unit I just might go with that. Another guess on cost....I haven't really looked into it yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I opted for the in-dash factory changer and am very happy with it. My only reason for going this route was just feeling more confortable with a unit neatly in the dash rather than under the seat. That sort of thinking comes with old age I guess :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm not sure how "old" you are, but I'm 30 and I would agree with your logic. I think I'm leaning that way also. My last SUV had the changer under the seat and I rarely changed the discs. I was too lazy to bother.......probably due to my age.
:2:
Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
locomoto said:
Well, I'm not sure how "old" you are, but I'm 30 and I would agree with your logic. I think I'm leaning that way also. My last SUV had the changer under the seat and I rarely changed the discs. I was too lazy to bother.......probably due to my age.
:2:
Thanks!
I have the in-dash changer. The only problem I have with it is it reads disk "1" even if I'm playing disk "5." I asked the dealer about it and they said that was how Honda made them...

·
Registered
620 Posts
rhcraig

rhcraig said:
I opted for the in-dash factory changer and am very happy with it. My only reason for going this route was just feeling more confortable with a unit neatly in the dash rather than under the seat. That sort of thinking comes with old age I guess :)
Does your CD changer also only read "1" on the head unit no matter what disk you're playing?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Jet-Pilot-64 said:
I have the in-dash changer. The only problem I have with it is it reads disk "1" even if I'm playing disk "5." I asked the dealer about it and they said that was how Honda made them...
That's odd, this photo of the Changer displays Disk 6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, my changer also show CD as "1" regardless of which one is playing. I really don't even think about it anymore as I've gotten used to glancing at the lights above the selection buttons.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone think of the MDX touring 6CD radio stereo system fit the pilot.

I was looking at the 2004 odyssey and the MDX 2003. It looks like the same. Does the MDX touring stereo sytem fit the PILOT. DOes any think of that... :( :( :(

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
locomoto said:
I'm guessing you have the factory changer. Correct?
Are you happy with it? If it mounts under the seat and it's cheaper than the in dash unit I just might go with that. Another guess on cost....I haven't really looked into it yet.
Well I have the under seat changer left over from the Accord,so it's much cheaper for me to go this way. Plus with the DVD, the in-dash changer is a little harder to install. I did the research on cables and mounts, but I just haven't got around to installing it yet.

·
Registered
620 Posts
SteveLuman said:
That's odd, this photo of the Changer displays Disk 6.

Maybe it's an EX thing... but by looking at the picture you posted, I wonder if the numbers on the display is just the time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
rhcraig said:
Yes, my changer also show CD as "1" regardless of which one is playing. I really don't even think about it anymore as I've gotten used to glancing at the lights above the selection buttons.
Yeah, I don't notice it much anymore as well...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stupid question from someone waiting to for 2004 EX-L arrival

I would love to eventually get an indash CD changer but I can't figure out from pictures where it would go on the dash. Of course all the pictures in the book are of cars that have RES or Nav. I don't/won't have the RES or Nav. Again, since I don't have the car yet I can only go by pics but do you still have the Tape player (not sure if the tape player is all part of the same radio or if it is actually a separate component).

For anyone who installed a Honda in-dash CD changer, did the installation go smoothly? My husband and I are not very "handy".

Thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: Stupid question from someone waiting to for 2004 EX-L arrival

megmilli said:
I would love to eventually get an indash CD changer but I can't figure out from pictures where it would go on the dash. Of course all the pictures in the book are of cars that have RES or Nav. I don't/won't have the RES or Nav. Again, since I don't have the car yet I can only go by pics but do you still have the Tape player (not sure if the tape player is all part of the same radio or if it is actually a separate component).

For anyone who installed a Honda in-dash CD changer, did the installation go smoothly? My husband and I are not very "handy".

Thanks
I had the dealer install mine. It was real easy for me...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: Stupid question from someone waiting to for 2004 EX-L arrival

megmilli said:

Thanks
Here's how it looks installed:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Stupid question from someone waiting to for 2004 EX-L arrival

Jet-Pilot-64 said:
Here's how it looks installed:
When did you have that installed. I was told that the only changer available on the EX was under the seat. I would lover to have what you have pictured if it is a decent machine.... just remembered I read it doesn't play MP3s though. I don't have any now but could easily in the future.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Stupid question from someone waiting to for 2004 EX-L arrival

florida_guy said:
When did you have that installed. I was told that the only changer available on the EX was under the seat. I would lover to have what you have pictured if it is a decent machine.... just remembered I read it doesn't play MP3s though. I don't have any now but could easily in the future.
Got it installed when I bought the beast in June. It works great. Don't know about MP3 though...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts