Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When My rpms go above 2000 while going up hills in my 2011 Touring, a major sulphur smell invades the cabin and lingers for quite a while. I’ve had Cats checked. No rattle. No CEL. Seems worse when going uphill. I’ve tried Cat cleaners and other gas additives but nothing works. It almost seems like it’s coming through the cabin and not out the tailpipe. Possible exhaust leak? Uphill connection? Very irritating, embarrassing and worrisome. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Have you checked your battery?
Rotten egg smell is one of the first symptoms of a problem with the battery is a rotten egg smell. Conventional acid lead automotive batteries are filled with a mixture of water and sulfuric acid. ... This may cause the battery to overheat or boil, which will produce an unpleasant smell, and even smoking in more severe case.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I’ve read about the battery issue. It’s been looked at recently due to some power draw issue and found to be fine. Not sure the battery would react to higher rpms? I guess it’s possible. I’ve complained to different mechanics about the sulphur and they’ve checked the cats and sensors but found no issues. No cel so they blamed the gas, but I get gas at different places. Does the battery heat up when passing or powering up hills?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Could be over-voltage when your revs go high, causing the battery to heat up. In previous cars of mine, the voltage regulator could be replaced separately and easily. I don't know how this is put together in a Honda.

Do you see any other signs of a power surge, like incandescent bulbs getting brighter? If its a power problem, frying something sensitive and possibly expensive is possible.

I would get a multimeter from battery hot to ground to check voltage while someone revs it for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll try it. Thanks for the tip! I’ve been having a very strange power draw as well and thought I had it traced to the Bluetooth unit. I replaced it but there is still an intermittent issue going on. Been wondering if battery has just been beaten up too much. It’s been checked by my mechanic and Honda but not for the acid or high revving. It’s a Napa battery supposedly new in November of 2017.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have probably already tried it but I would close of out side air supply and see if it goes away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts