Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my dealer on Friday to finalize the price and accessories on my Pilot that is due in in just over a week. I ended up taking off all of the accessories that I had originally requested, but that's a different story...

I asked if the sales guy had any info on the Extended Warrenty as I have been considering getting one. The give me the leaflet for HondaCare and then the price, $1600 for 7 year/100,000 miles or $1385 for 7 year/75,000 miles with 0 deductable. I have been completely paranoid at every step of buying this car, so I did some research tonight on the Internet and found that if I buy direct from Honda it is $1,385 or $1070 respectively. So, the dealer is adding a nice $300 mark up.

If anyone else is considering the extended warrenty, don't trust your dealers price!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
IMHO, I don't think u need it. It is a Honda and as such it would last longer that the factory warranty. It is another one of those dealer scams to generate more money for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Can I Hear an 'Amen'?

It pays to be paranoid. I found out that I was overcharged (ripped off) by double-checking on this forum.

There's a cancellation clause in the policy, so I went back in to the dealership and asked for the cancellation form. After some negotiation, they offered to drop the deductable to 0 and take care of the first few scheduled maintenance items.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
AlanZ3 said:
I was at my dealer on Friday to finalize the price and accessories on my Pilot that is due in in just over a week. I ended up taking off all of the accessories that I had originally requested, but that's a different story...

I asked if the sales guy had any info on the Extended Warrenty as I have been considering getting one. The give me the leaflet for HondaCare and then the price, $1600 for 7 year/100,000 miles or $1385 for 7 year/75,000 miles with 0 deductable. I have been completely paranoid at every step of buying this car, so I did some research tonight on the Internet and found that if I buy direct from Honda it is $1,385 or $1070 respectively. So, the dealer is adding a nice $300 mark up.

If anyone else is considering the extended warrenty, don't trust your dealers price!
We were charged $2100 for our 7 yr/100,000 and then I learned on this site that I should have paid no more than $1300. So I marched back into our dealership - they cancelled the non-Hondacare warrantee with a $250 deductable!!! and sold us the Hondacare for $1300! It's definitely worth it to be PARANOID! They're out to gouge you!!! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
You can buy Honda Care Extended Warranty online at www.hondawarranty.com

This is NOT direct from Honda, but is from an authorized Honda dealer. Some dealers can match or beat this price, but this is an easy way to get a REAL Honda warrany online at a good price.

I don't know the dealer selling them, or make anything... I just know the site is there and have read good things about them.

If you do buy it online make sure and check your email first. You get a discount code for $90 or so off the prices listed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
mirali said:
Ho do you buy the warranty diectly from Honda?
Just my own thought on this subject...I've owned numerous Honda products from motorscooters and lawn mowers to cars. I've also owned several Ford and GM products (I'm a slow learner). As far as I'm concerned, extended warranties a good for GM products and Fords, but not Hondas. :22:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
I'm getting ready to buy either a 2003 or 2004 pilot with the genuine Honda Care Extended Warranty. My local dealerships are charging $2330 for the Honda Care Extended Warranty with 100,000k/7 year/$0 deductible. Can I buy the Honda Care Extended Warranty from out-of-state (from Curry Honda in MA) and will the out-of-state warranty be honored in Florida? I read somewhere that if you live in Florida and buy a Honda in Florida, only the dealership where you bought the car can sell you the genuine Honda Care Extended Warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
dukeofjuke said:
I'm getting ready to buy either a 2003 or 2004 pilot with the genuine Honda Care Extended Warranty. My local dealerships are charging $2330 for the Honda Care Extended Warranty with 100,000k/7 year/$0 deductible. Can I buy the Honda Care Extended Warranty from out-of-state (from Curry Honda in MA) and will the out-of-state warranty be honored in Florida? I read somewhere that if you live in Florida and buy a Honda in Florida, only the dealership where you bought the car can sell you the genuine Honda Care Extended Warranty.
That would be WRONG. The Honda Care Extended Warranty specifically states that you can take your car to ANY Authorized Honda Dealership. I believe that's federal law as well.

The dealer is trying to BS you if they are telling you that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Extended Warranty

Extended warranty offered by Hondacare is honored by all Honda dealers, at least that is what I understand. The best price for Extended Warranty that I have found is with John Eagle Honda in Houston. Give them a call or check them out at johneaglehonda.com and ask for Bill Veasey. He even arranged for an interest free installment plan.

As usual, it pays to do your homework.

Good luck :)
Maji
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Undecided on extended warranty

My Pilot only has 5,550 miles after 6 months including an 1,800 mile trip to Utah when it was less than two weeks old. I am undecided on the extended warranty. I will wait to see if anyone who is putting miles on at a faster rate has problems or if I have problems before my factory warranty expires in December 2005.

Before anyone decides that Hondas don't need extended warranty, you may want to read the following story.

When Honda tried selling my wife an extended warranty on her second new Honda which was a 98 Accord V6, we laughed and said it's a Honda, we don't need that. I'm still driving her 91 Civic that has 197K miles, gets 30-35 mpg and has been problem free.

At 45K miles, her Accord had a check engine light. Our local Honda specialist replaced the EGR valve. When the problem re-occurred, we took it to the dealer where it was purchased. They narrowed down the problem to one cylinder and had the head on that side 'leakdown' tested. When testing didn't find anything, they replaced the piston ring on that cylinder which was more than a $2,000 job. Honda regional customer care agreed to pay half the cost and after much whining, my wife only had to pay 25%.

Less than a week later, the check engine appeared again. This time Honda replaced the head which they decided had a porosity problem and paid for that entire repair which was also around $2,000. In the short run, it appeared that she came out ahead by not having the extended warranty. But our local Honda specialist said she should get rid of the car because you don't know if it is as good as new. He recommending trading it in to Honda rather than selling the possible problem to someone else. Since my wife didn't want to have a many thousand dollar repair, she traded it in with 70K miles on a new 2003 Accord V6. She took a big hit on depreciation and sales tax, but is happy with her new car. She will decide on extended warranty later.

If you think 240 hp and 5 speed automatic are fast on a Pilot, you should try it on an Accord that weighs 1000 lbs. less.

Following is a picture of our three Hondas in April 2003.
The Pilot was very dirty as it had just returned from Tahoe, but it only really shows on the ski rack. Sorry for the wide width. This is my first post with a picture. I will make the next one smaller.

08/29/2003 -- Edited by kemosabe to make the image smaller...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
do you know what would be the cost if I buy this warranty at end of 3yrs factory warranty? Is that going to be more or still the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I don't know much about the Honda extended warranty. But my own experience with extended warranty is this:

I have one on my bike and it cost me $600 and it already paid for itself. Last year I needed a new alternator and the job cost $580 which didn't cost me a dime, and I still have two years to go.

On my Audi, it cost me $1800 and I already had a new radio, a new sunroof motor and now I'm getting several seals in the engine done. All I had to pay was $100 diagnostic fee. All the jobs alone exceed what I paid for the extended warranty.

Soon I'll be looking to get one for my Pilot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty

Maji said:
The best price for Extended Warranty that I have found is with John Eagle Honda in Houston. Give them a call or check them out at johneaglehonda.com and ask for Bill Veasey.
LOL... that's where I bought my Pilot... and where they in turn burned me on the price of my Extended Warranty. Bill is actually the person who sold me the warranty - $1900 for 7/100K and 50 deduct). Talk about a small world...

Not trying to be self-righteous here, but maybe they got enough of an earful from me (on several occasions) to help other Piloteers out. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
timchen said:
do you know what would be the cost if I buy this warranty at end of 3yrs factory warranty? Is that going to be more or still the same?
On www.hondawarranty.com it indicates that there is a $60 surcharge if you get the warranty after 24 months/24,000 miles but before 36 months/36,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Extended Warranty

B]LOL... that's where I bought my Pilot... and where they in turn burned me on the price of my Extended Warranty. Bill is actually the person who sold me the warranty - $1900 for 7/100K and 50 deduct).[/B]

I bought my Pilot in New Orleans, and when I enquired about extended warranty, the dealer tried to shaft me. So I just bought the Pilot without the extended warranty from him. Then I started surfing and checking the various urls out. I checked the price for extended warranties on the website for hondawarranty and started calling around. John Eagle beat that price :D

Guess, it pays to do some surfing:p

Hope this helps and alerts everyone else.

Maji
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Something some of you may want to consider, I didn't get the extended warranty on my Pilot, I have Geico insurance and took their mechanical breakdown insurance. Before the Pilot I had a Ford Explorer. The transmission failed at 14,000 miles and was two months out of warranty. Dealer said tough luck, the repair would cost $2,500 for a rebuilt transmission. MY Geico insurance has a deductible of $250, that's what repair cost me. Without checking I think the breakdown insurance costs me about $30 per year. Obviously this only covers major repairs. Other insurance company's may a a similar option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
747 Posts
AlanZ3 said:


On www.hondawarranty.com it indicates that there is a $60 surcharge if you get the warranty after 24 months/24,000 miles but before 36 months/36,000 miles.
Cool, then I have almost 3 years to decide if Pilot needs extended warranty. And I don't spend any money on e-warranty if Pilot got stolen or crashed .... Many things can happy within three years. That $60 is worthy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
csimo said:
You can buy Honda Care Extended Warranty online at www.hondawarranty.com

This is NOT direct from Honda, but is from an authorized Honda dealer. Some dealers can match or beat this price, but this is an easy way to get a REAL Honda warrany online at a good price.

I don't know the dealer selling them, or make anything... I just know the site is there and have read good things about them.

If you do buy it online make sure and check your email first. You get a discount code for $90 or so off the prices listed.
I live in Florida and I got mine from this site at a very good savings over what Florida Dealers say the State of Florida makes them charge, which is suggested retail. I don't know if it was part of their pitch but every dealer in Florida told me the same thing, no nego on the warranty in Florida. So I purchased out of State.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I may have the only dealer like this, but when I went to buy my car, they told me that there was no reason to get the fabric protection or the extended warranty. No pressure at all. They already had a form printed that listed each "extra" and only had a place for me to decline. This was the <b>only</b> car that I have ever purchased where there was zero pressure to buy extra coverages (or rust proofing).

--Bret
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top