Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing an EX-L RES and the dealer offered me the Honda 7yr/100K warranty for $1500. Is this a good price? Is it worth buying? Are there other ways to buy this coverage?

I plan to keep the vehicle around 5 years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just FYI, I got the same warranty package....$1050.00...everything is negotiable. I personally think the extended warranty is worth it especially on this vehicle with all its high tech gadgets, and if you don't use it then you get half the money back at the end of the warranty period, so you can't really go wrong. Its peace of mind for me. It used to be you could pop the hood and work on an engine, but now a days it just aint that easy...nor inexpensive!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Other Threads

There's an earlier thread in General Discussions and one also in Group Buys. Honda Care 7/100/0 is going for Honda's "book price" of $1075 plus a small [$30 to $40] admin fee from a couple of Dealers on the internet.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
js2ss2 said:
Just FYI, I got the same warranty package....$1050.00...everything is negotiable. I personally think the extended warranty is worth it especially on this vehicle with all its high tech gadgets, and if you don't use it then you get half the money back at the end of the warranty period, so you can't really go wrong. Its peace of mind for me. It used to be you could pop the hood and work on an engine, but now a days it just aint that easy...nor inexpensive!!!
It's interesting how even the terms and the price of a warranty and the vary from dealer to dealer. I was offered the 7yr (120,000KM?) warranty for $1200 (Canadian), but if I never ended up using it, I was to get ALL of it back at the end of it.

But I still passed on it. Don't know if I'm gonna regret it down the road, but I guess those are the chances you take.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the feedback. This gives me some good ammo for negotiation. I am fairly interested in buying the warranty as the the factory warranty is shorter than some other manufacturers (3yr/36K). I also noticed at hondawarranty.com that you can purchase shorter time periods & mileage amounts (something my dealer neglected to mention).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Of all the things that I did to get the Pilot, I regret not reading much into getting extended warranty. I was happy to get the Pilot at MSRP, and when it came to the warranty, we were told that the original price is $2200, and that Honda Care is giving a 25% discount, which for some reason went down to $1695. We did some wheeling and dealing - and managed for it to go down to $1500 (using Honda's 0% interest for 18 months). Drove off with the Pilot that night.

When I got home, I saw the thread on Ext. Warranty - people paying from $1075 - $1500. Well 2 days after owning the car, I started calling around and have gotten deals ranging from $1200 - $1400 (to be paid in full). I called my dealer and told them of my intention to cancel the warranty and go with someone else, they renegotiated, and offered me $1300 ($200 less).......as much as I know that I could get it for less elsewhere, I figured I'd just stick with this deal - plus it's ) interest for 18 months......

·
Registered
469 Posts
Honda Care warranty

This is the "official" HondaCare site

HondaCare

You can purchase directly from them or negotiate with your dealer. I'd make sure you get the warranty backed by American Honda as some delaers have their own plans and transferring the warranty could or having warranty work performed by another dealer be a hassle!!! I negotiated with my dealer and purchased the 6 year/75,000 mile warranty for $195.00 - lists for $880.00 on that site. You can actually purchase the extended warranty later than the vehicle purchase - check out the site for setails...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Zero reason to buy extended warranty at purchase

Honda will sell the extended warranty up to 42 months after you buy. I just bought an extended warranty on my Accord as its manufacturer's warranty was expiring. The only reason to consider it is if you want to finance the cost.

The price quoted in the group buy is on the money.

You can match this price - pretty much at any time - over the net. Check out hondawarranty.com. You'll be quoted essentially the same price and almost always get a coupon for something off. They sell HondaCare.

Dealers often bluntly lie about their costs. I was quoted a price of $1475 and told they make 7% and would give me 6 off so they'd make one. I beat their price by hundreds of dollars with 5 minutes checking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts