Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2017 EXL Honda Pilot. I financed thru the dealership. The financing was done over the phone due to Covid 19. The finance guy offered me 3% rate for 5 years or 3.3% rate for 6 years with an extended warranty for 120,000 miles or 8 years. I didn't want 6 year financing but the warranty sounded great. I accepted that and went to the dealership to sign papers. Come to find out when I looked at the paper work the extended warranty added $2,500 to my loan. He never mentioned that on the phone. I was thinking due to the higher rate the warranty was included. I said I didn't really want the warranty but he kept saying I would need it for the electronics as when they go it can cost $2.000. He was very persistent. I said OK. I am reading the contract and I can cancel within 30 days. Does anybody think an extended warranty is worth it. Financing it just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
Is the extended warranty a HondaCare plan, or is it by some third party outfit?
Ask the finance guy how much commission he makes by selling you the extended warranty.
Another option would be to take the $2,500 and bank it until you actually need it for repairs.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
No, I would not want it. For 5/6 years you will pay interest on that 2k.
Can you finance for less years? All this is setting you up to be extremely upside down (value of vehicle verses what you owe) when your vehicle is worn out and you need to trade. The vehicle is already 3 years old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts