Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 pilot with 113,000. I have had the car 3 weeks and am experiencing excessive shudder. I have had the vehicle inspected and it was determined that the torque converter needs replaced.

During this inspection, it was noted that the vehicle misfired 28 times. Here are my questions:
1. If the pilot misfires, does the engine light come on?
2. How do I find out if my used vehicle is eligible for the extended warranty?
3. How do I find out when my extended warranty is up, if there is one.
4. Has anyone changed the torque converter and shudder stopped?
5. When replacing the torque converter, should the transmission oil be drained and new oil put in?

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter. I know nothing about vehicles and am extremely scared of this shudder/excessive shaking in the vehicle. I am afraid to drive it. When doing the test drive, the salesperson told me that the "rough" driving was due to me not being "use to" driving a truck & driving small cars in past. I believed him:crying:. Due to having 30 day warranty, he is willing to replace the torque converter but I want as much info on the misfiring as I can get before 30 days is up. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
First and foremost, get it to the dealership quickly. The extended warranty on the ECM/misfire issues expires 8 years from the day of delivery. Did you clear all the misfires? That might be enough for them to do step 1 of the ECM fix (new plugs in cyl 1-4 and reflash the ECM with the updated VCM software) but typically they want the car showing up at the dealership with the CEL still on.

1. Mine threw a CEL when plug #1 failed and it was running on 5 cyl. But, I can't say if it was recording misfires prior to the plug failing (and not throwing a CEL) or not.
2. Yours is eligible IF it is not past the 8 year mark (since delivery)
3. The dealership will be able to tell you, and/or you can maybe check CarFax to see what date it was delivered
4. I haven't
5. I would def change the fluid too

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's not clear if you purchased from a dealer, a used car seller, or a private party. You mention a 30 day warranty, so it sounds like a used car seller. Can you return the car for a refund at this point? You should be documenting all communication with this seller, with dated details of your discussions about problems and warranty claims. Document who said what, including the dubious claims made by the salesman. Email is good for this going forward, if you can get the seller to respond on email. Or keep a dated journal of all your conversations. Perhaps small claims court would be an option for you down the line.

The torque converter is located in the transmission bell housing,between the engine and transmission, and can only be replaced by totally removing the transmission from the vehicle, replacing the TC, and then reinstalling the transmission. Yes, the ATF should be drained and replaced as part of TC replacement. It is highly recommended that the external ATF filter also be changed at this time, or an in line filter added if there is no external filter on your model.

As noted by reverend sean above, the engine misfires are most likely not a transmission-caused issue. I don't have any knowledge of the ECM issues that he discusses - my Pilot it too old to be relevant - sounds like Honda may have some options there?

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you are feeling shudder then there are things you can observe while it is shuddering.

If it shudders under HARD acceleration, chances are one or more axles are the cause ( common problem on the 2nd gen Pilots )

Shudder under LIGHT acceleration would be torque converter shudder that can be recorded using Honda scan tool , and the torque converter must be replaced

If you have misfires and your vehicle falls under the piston ring fouling extended recall , you can have the dealership check for DTC's and if you have any recorded misfire from 1-4 misfires they will replace the piston rings AND spark plugs 1-4 for free

But it has to be 8 years or less from ORIGINAL sale date regardless of miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts