Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to sell or 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L. It has only 158k and it’s got leather, 6-disc changer, sunroof, running boards, etc. Does anyone have experience selling the similar Pilot? Is a private sale better than a dealer trade or Carmax-type option? I know that the people that have owned this class of pilot are fairly loyal to it so I’m hoping to get some reasonable value out of it. Any thoughts on this topic appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Private sale will generally get you more money but be prepared to have it on the market for up to 3 months before you sell it at a good (for you) price. If you sell it between retail and trade in, you'll get more bites. You'll always get low ballers no matter what. Pilots are well know to be reliable to the right crowd, its those you'll have the best of luck selling to. Do you have service records? I would also mention and display them if you do.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
My experience selling cars (I’m not getting rid of the 2005 Pilot anytime soon😁) is to sell it private party. The dealer will offer you a third to half of what you could get selling it on your own. As mentioned above pricing it right will make for a quicker sale. It will still take a bit of patience and effort to get it sold, but it’s worth it in my opinion.

From my experience to help filter out the sleaze all’s:
1) Talk to the buyer via phone before committing to a test drive. If you don’t get the warm and fuzzy pass.
2) Meet in a busy location (grocery store parking lot or the likes) so buyer doesn’t know where you live in case your gut tells you something isn’t right
when you meet in person.
3) Make it clear the financial transfer will occur inside your bank. They have lots of security cameras. I counted seven at my local branch when I sold my previous Tacoma.

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
My experience selling cars (I’m not getting rid of the 2005 Pilot anytime soon😁) is to sell it private party. The dealer will offer you a third to half of what you could get selling it on your own. As mentioned above pricing it right will make for a quicker sale. It will still take a bit of patience and effort to get it sold, but it’s worth it in my opinion.

From my experience to help filter out the sleaze all’s:
1) Talk to the buyer via phone before committing to a test drive. If you don’t get the warm and fuzzy pass.
2) Meet in a busy location (grocery store parking lot or the likes) so buyer doesn’t know where you live in case your gut tells you something isn’t right
when you meet in person.
3) Make it clear the financial transfer will occur inside your bank. They have lots of security cameras. I counted seven at my local branch when I sold my previous Tacoma.

Good luck with the sale.
All great advice.

4) Go to the DMV together.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Every time I have purchased or sold a car private seller (I am in Georgia so things may be different), they usually look at the car, leave, then we text/call back and forth and work on the price. I usually do cash only (Typically hasn't been more than $5,000). I have a little template that I created for a Bill of Sale. I include the VIN and the agreed purchase price. I have 2 copies, 1 for me and one for the buyer (or seller if I'm buying a car). We both sign and date. I will just sign the title right there (or vice versa) and exchange the cash. I've met at home a few times or at a church parking lot nearby.

I don't think GA requires a bill of sale, as long as the title is signed over. No reason to go to the DMV together (at least in GA). I've purchased a car using a cashier's check from my bank a few times, but I have yet to accept one. I guess there are still risks associated with a cashier's check but oh well.

Also if advertised online, I don't always respond to every inquiry and if it looks like a copy,paste kind of thing, I delete and block immediately.

Personally, for a 2005 car, I don't see a need to meet in a bank, etc. If it were a $15,000+ car then I would be much more cautious but $5-6,000 not as much. Good luck with your sale and I hope you get a fair price!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
No reason to go to the DMV together (at least in GA).
This gives me a bit more reassurance that a squirrelly seller's title isn't red-flagged, or that a buyer is less likely to use the car in his next drive-by shooting or as a disposable (and perhaps traceable to you) getaway car in his next bank heist or other nefarious deed. 🤡

·
Registered
45 Posts
Also, I'm not sure if they are available in your area, but a site called LazyChimp.com is a pretty cool way to sell your car appearantly. They have a physical location you meet the buyer at, you get multiple offers on thier platform. I almost bought a sequoia off them from a private seller (got the pilot instead). The best way to put it, they give a private seller the visibility of a dealership.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've had relatively good luck with CL sales and if you're willing to invest the time to sell a car this way, it is, I think, the best way to get a good return. I just sold a car this way (not a Pilot). The other option which can get you high returns is Ebay, but the process is much more involved and because the investment of the bidder is so low, you will likely get a lot of folks who back out requiring you to restart the whole process again.

For CL, take the time to write a good ad that includes all the pertinent information in a clear/organized way but without embellishment. If the car has removable accessories (e.g., a phone bracket) take them off the car - try and make the car look as stock as you can. If the car has issues that will show up with any decent inspection, be up front about them. Check spelling. Maybe have someone read the ad before publishing to catch errors or omissions. After publishing, revise the ad if you see improvements or buyers point out things they didn't understand. Take lots of really good photos in good light of both the exterior, interior, doors open/closed, underhood, etc. and use a photo editor to touch them up. Take enough that you can cherry pick the best ones. If you're including stuff like the the original OM, shop manual, mats, etc., take photos of these and include them also.

Price the car realistically. Do your research.... KBB, NADA, other CL ads, etc. A well-marketed private party sale will usually be about halfway between the wholesale/trade value and dealer retail value, although once a car gets older or has any collector value, KBB and NADA will undervalue it, sometimes grossly - a mint 20-yo one-owner BMW M3, for example, may be easily worth twice book value, but I'd always run a parallel ad for these sorts of cars in an enthusiast forum like this one. Leave some dickering room in your price, but not a lot - I price a car maybe 5-10% over what I'd take in negotiations. If you do run multiple ads, run them simultaneously so all your offers are more likely to arrive at once and you can pick the best.

Run the ad in all the CL markets where one might reasonably expect someone to travel to see the car. Run basically the same ad everywhere and with the same price..... it's a red flag to a buyer if they see the car priced differently in different ads.

If the car has a lien, pay it off if you can afford to. It makes things so much simpler to have a clear title with no liens.

Because I run serious ads, I typically get serious buyers. I always get a flurry of "What's the absolute lowest price you would accept" emails, or "I'll give you half of what you're asking" emails but I just politely brush them off and they subside quickly. I've never had any issue with seeing the obviously scams and con artists, but you do want to be reasonably careful. You sometimes get someone who wants to do some kind of crazy song/dance to see the car or who sees it and then starts making ridiculous offers, but this has been rare for me. I work through email (which CL does a good job of hiding your real address), but then might start using text messages if I get good vibes from a serious buyer. Always do a bill of sale (states have forms on line) that includes the phrase about the car being sold "as is". I only accept cash although this can become a bit impractical/dangerous for cars with very high value or when the buyer needs to get a loan. On a 15-yo Pilot, this shouldn't be an issue.

I've actually made a few friends selling cars. The last car I sold was to a woman who has asked my advice several times about various minor problems since I sold her the car.

If this all sounds like a hassle and time consuming, it is, but it's not hard. On a car like a 2005 Pilot, doing this work would probably net you $2.5K over what you might get just wholesaling the car. What's your time worth?

If you're buying another car to replace the one you're selling, figure out the sales tax angles. Many states only charge sales tax on the difference between the new car and the trade, whereas a private sale of the old car will mean you pay full sales tax on the new car. In cases where the old car's value is anything approaching the new car's, this tax advantage can wipe out the extra money you'd make in a private sale.

Good luck.

- Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tons of good stuff there @markjenn

In addition to that, I would also scan into a pdf any and all service records & recalls (with any super private info blacked out, but that's personal preference). Theres two types of buyers and sellers out there, low priced that needs some maintenance or work, and then there's well maintained, road trip ready, at the right price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts