Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1:

I had my Pilot less than 2 weeks ago and is already in the dealer for brake failure inspection for 1 week already. With on the road for less than 350 km, I found one day that the brakes seem to be not responsive all of a sudden. The symptoms of my brakes is identical to what was described in the Pilot user guide under the section Taking Care of the Unexpected - Brake system indicator. When stepping on the brake pedal, I need to go way further than normal inorder for the car to slow down and then press even further down to bring it to a stop.

Until now, Honda dealer and Honda Canada can still not give us a satisfactory answer. Apparently I heard from the dealer that there was one Pilot there that had their Master Cylinder changed already.

If you are already driving a Pilot, beware of your brakes! Do anyone of you experience this problem?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Did the light come on?

Did the light come on?
"ABS"?
"Brake"?
Both?
With foot on, or all the time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No lights were ON! Not even ABS nor BRAKE light indicator! The road condition was dry with no puddles at all!

By the way, I had not read the user guide only after the fact that I experiences problems, which I find too much a coincidence!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Keep us in the loop

4200 miles and no problem.

Odd that you did not get the "Brake" warning light.

Let us know what you find so we can all keep an eye on it,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Brake Pedal Travel

Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip (Chicago -> Florida -> Maryland -> Chicago), and experienced a similar problem with the brakes. One day, kind-of suddenly, the pedal seemed to travel further. Problem wasn't 100% at first, but the next day it got worse. Still had enough pedal to safely stop the vehicle, but just wasn't the same.

Thought it might be the heat (90 degrees), but took it in anyway. As expected, the dealer couldn't find anything, and fortunately, it was fine for the rest of the trip. Many years ago, had a car that acted the same way when it got too hot. Explained this to the dealer, but they refused to do anything.

I seem to remember there being a brake fluid test that can be done to test for moisture content. Maybe someone else can chime-in with specifics.

As I'm now getting ready for the 5K oil change and service, I'll ask my local dealer to give it a more thorough test.

By the way, with 8 or 9 tank fulls, we topped-out at 25.2 mpg - trip average was a respectable 22.4 mpg!

Ed F

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Wow

What great milage. You must drive a lot gentiller than I do.

Keep us up on the brake issue.
Mine have been fine, but I do notice they are a lot higher boost than the CR-V and a most other cars I have had.

You can get the peddle to the floor by holding it down, and gently continuing to press, but this seems true of most ABS cars I have driven.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Brake Pedal Travel - My final resolution

gewf631 said:
Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip (Chicago -> Florida -> Maryland -> Chicago), and experienced a similar problem with the brakes. One day, kind-of suddenly, the pedal seemed to travel further. Problem wasn't 100% at first, but the next day it got worse. Still had enough pedal to safely stop the vehicle, but just wasn't the same.

Thought it might be the heat (90 degrees), but took it in anyway. As expected, the dealer couldn't find anything, and fortunately, it was fine for the rest of the trip. Many years ago, had a car that acted the same way when it got too hot. Explained this to the dealer, but they refused to do anything.

Ed F

:1pat: Oh, this seems to sound quite similar to my original problem. Pedal not only travels (almost to the floor), but also braking way different than it was normal - although eventually able to brake safely, but needs more time and way more longer distance to stop. Like your case, the next day when we bring it back to the dealer, everything was normal and nothing can be found! For our case, it's definitely not the heat as the weather in Vancouver is getting cooler and cooler.

I don't know if I am lucky or not, but when we took it back to the dealer, of course they found nothing. However, given that there was an incident with that particular dealer that they ended up changing the Master Cylinder of another Pilot, they recognized that the brake pedal is lower than normal. Although couldn't found out the cause of it, they refuses to let our Pilot go. They insist to keep it for further road tests, which we had left it with them for a few days already, but of course the reply we always got back is everything is normal, yet you cannot drive it away because we want to do more road test. We finally got so fed up with it that we deny them from touching our Pilot anymore. This time instead of getting swapping around from sales managers to service managers, we insisted to talk to the dealer's GM for a satisfactory answer.

When the GM got back to us, he offered a very satisfactory resolution to our ongoing saga - to order another new Pilot for us. It was a very good faith gesture he did, but came too late to offer us confidence in the car that I really love. To make it more interesting is that this upfront offer leads us to believe that there is really something (maybe some facts) with that Pilot that we're being denied of. Through two weeks of consideration and discussion, we ended up trade in the Pilot for 2003 MDX, which we're now waiting in line for it to come. The dealer is willing to offer us full price of the Pilot and of course, we have to scramble for enough financing for the price difference between the two. In the meantime, I am just driving a Civic until then.

I hope that it's just one 'lemon' that I've got, but given the nightmares that we've gone through those couple of weeks, until now still found nothing that leads to the failure in braking I encountered, I urged readers like you who are driving the Pilot to be cautious of your brakes. If you encounter any symptons like mine, take it back to the dealer and INSIST them to check thoroughly, insist on a satisfactory answer from them.

I will now be moving onto the acuramdx forum for checkout on issues. Good luck to all.

P.S. I owned my beloved Pilot for three weeks only - driven it only for 5 days for 350 kms before it's certified at the dealer!.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Chiilimouse, sorry to hear you're going.

It's utterly bizzare that Pilot ownership experiences, as evidenced in this forum, have such a wide variety of experiences and stories. It's almost as though there's a Dr. Jekyll and Hyde symdrome with Pilots that are being sold.

More and more, I worry when I hear stories like yours. Ironically, I almost hope that my Pilot manifests its problems early, the sooner the better, so that at least some actions can be taken before the relatively pitiful warranty expires.

I'm sure, your new MDX will be a dream to drive in. That was my first choice, really, before settling down on the Pilot. The problems I've encountered so far has all been at fault with the dealer from which I bought it from and not with the vehicle itself.

But, really, if my Pilot's gonna croack, I hope it'll be before the warranrty period's up. Because, I know for certain, Honda nor the dealers in town will extend any courtesy to me even if the problems I may face in the future solely is due to the faulty and defective manufacturing and production process.

I'm still rather surprised when I read reviews of the Pilot, all having been glowing ones, inspite of all the problems reported on this site. I'm sure you'll love your MDX. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, seems like a lot to go through for such a [small] problem

Sure seems like 'replacing the house because of a leaky faucet'.

Just drove [my wife's] pilot for the first time in a week, and noticed that the pedal is on the spongy side. Will be taking it in for it's first oil change (and to fix a few minor problems we've noticed), so will really get on the dealer's case about flushing the fluid and/or replacing the master cylinder.

Will report back with results.

Ed F

·
Registered
241 Posts
Brakes

I have two instances reported to me by my wife of the pedal going almost to the floor and the stopping distance much longer. I didn't think much of the first event but it has repeated.
Don't know why this would be intermittant, unless it is associated with the electronics.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No problem so far but

I'd like to keep up on this subject.
I have 5000 miles w/o any problem so far and love the vehicle.
That's really puzzling that the dealer would offer to replace the vehicle, that's amazing, and extraordinary. They would never, never do that if there weren't a major safety issue...
Maybe another recall coming?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Brake Noise

I have only 125 miles on my Silver Honda Pilot. I have noticed noise whenever I brake hard. I took it to the dealer. The service manager said that it is just related to ABS. They did not even check the brake system! But even after the dealer visit, I still hear the noise whenever I hit the brake pedal.

Is this common due to the ABS brakes? Or is dealer giving me a runaround? I am very unconfortable after I saw this thread regarding brake failures.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
What kind of noise?

What kind of noise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Break Noise

The noise is like on my old Honda accord which had worn out brake pads. The Honda Pilot is new. I hope it does not have brake pads.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The noise is like on my old Honda accord which had worn out brake pads. The Honda Pilot is new. I hope it does not have brake pads.
rmodi, what might help is something more visual, in a sense, like is it a "Shhhhh" sound, a squeal, a grinding sound, a vibrating/thumping sound, or something entirely different.

The "Shhhh" sound is common to all Pilots and is just the hydraulics. A squeal would indicate that the wear indicator is coming in contact with the rotor. Grinding is bad, almost 100% of the time if it is indeed from the brakes. A vibrating/thumping sound is the ABS which auto pumps the brake very rapidly in heavy braking conditions.

If it didn't have brake pads you wouldn't be able to stop. So be glad that you do indeed have them. What else would you expect to have, exactly? Hopefully you aren't wishing to have drum brakes instead of disc brakes. That would be the first time I've heard that request.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thumping sound

Thanks r_hammel and n_jay for your response.

It is definitely a thumping sound. When I brake hard, it gives that sound. But even if I pump the brakes in a driveway(Pilot not in motion), I hear the same sound. Is it normal with ABS?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Australia and I don't think we have the Pilot. However I have an MDX which has done 20,000km and in the morning when backing out of our carport the brakes (both pedal and lever) fail for 15-25 secs. Does the Pilot share the same system. My dealer can't find a fault but replaced the "VSA control unit", whatever the hell that is.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Doctor Al said:
I'm in Australia and I don't think we have the Pilot. However I have an MDX which has done 20,000km and in the morning when backing out of our carport the brakes (both pedal and lever) fail for 15-25 secs. Does the Pilot share the same system. My dealer can't find a fault but replaced the "VSA control unit", whatever the hell that is.
What do you mean by "fail"?

·
Registered
2 Posts
brakes

I also just had a problem with my brakes going a little to low and stopping taking a little long I only have 12,300 miles on my 03 pilot i brought the car over to my personal mechanic to check it out maybe the brakes are bad. His mechanic checked dou the brakes and said the pads are fine. When the mechianc took it for a test drive going fast and hitting brakes the brakes where okay nice stopping, but just going slow the brakes go down a little further and stopping is a bit longer. My mechanic said bring the car to the dealer right away. I brought the car in and and had them check 2 things the clunk sound from the back brakes which they changed. But guess what they didnt find anything wrong with the brakes going to low... but i still think something is wrong....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts