Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a used pilot between 2012 and 2015. I've been holding out for a touring but I'm wondering if it's worth it when comparing to the exl. I'm not concerned with the DVD player, but is the navigation worth it? I've heard it's not that good. Any other features between the two trims that make a difference? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,105 Posts
Personally I find the navigation feature to fulfill my needs with my 2020 Passport Touring. The system in the 3rd generation is a Garmin based system and much better than what was in the 2nd Generation.

Personally, I am not fond of Waze, as it can be and is manipulated by users. Often the reports are wrong. Also the algorithm used to suggest alternate routs is known to cause serious traffic problems when suggesting an alternate routes due to a traffic problem.

Google maps and Apple maps aren't any better than the nav system. The interface is just difference.

Is it worth it to look for one with navigation. Thats up to you and your life style.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with both reply’s above me. I currently have the 2011 touring edition. For me it’s the black heated leather seats and the DVD player. I have a 2 yr old who’s hated car rides since he was born. Having the DVD player has changed all our lives!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Honda's equipped with Navigation can control the center stack with your voice. Honda has never advertised this well. Lexus still has a mouse you use and locks out some features while in motion. So I don't know what part of the world you are in, but when I lived in Upstate New York, driving in a major snow storm and being able to ask my Pilot the time and make adjustments to the climate control without taking my hands off the wheel and my eyes off the road was very helpful.

It also depends on what you like. I never saw the need for parking sensors until I got my Pilot Touring.

Do you have more than one driver who will be using it on a regular basis? The touring comes with 2 keys a #1 and a #2 which coincide with the memory seat settings and all other settings tied to the driver like when the auto lights come on, side view mirror settings, when the doors auto-lock, etc., can all be customized differently for driver #1 and driver #2.

I don't know if you are into music or not but the Touring also comes with Dolby and when it is turned on, the 8.1 surround sound is enabled for your music which makes it move throughout the vehicle similar to watching a movie in surround sound. This is especially cool when the music is recorded for surround sound.

Does the EXL have a power lift gate?

Do you live in a hot climate area? The touring, if you unlock all the doors with the FOB and then hold the unlock button down, will open all the windows including the sunroof to ventilate before you climb in.

Does the EXL have auto-dim rear view mirror or tilting exterior mirror when reversing?

Touring also comes with 2nd row sunshades built into the doors to protect little ones from sunburn while driving.

I hope that helps you make your decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honda's equipped with Navigation can control the center stack with your voice. Honda has never advertised this well. Lexus still has a mouse you use and locks out some features while in motion. So I don't know what part of the world you are in, but when I lived in Upstate New York, driving in a major snow storm and being able to ask my Pilot the time and make adjustments to the climate control without taking my hands off the wheel and my eyes off the road was very helpful.

It also depends on what you like. I never saw the need for parking sensors until I got my Pilot Touring.

Do you have more than one driver who will be using it on a regular basis? The touring comes with 2 keys a #1 and a #2 which coincide with the memory seat settings and all other settings tied to the driver like when the auto lights come on, side view mirror settings, when the doors auto-lock, etc., can all be customized differently for driver #1 and driver #2.

I don't know if you are into music or not but the Touring also comes with Dolby and when it is turned on, the 8.1 surround sound is enabled for your music which makes it move throughout the vehicle similar to watching a movie in surround sound. This is especially cool when the music is recorded for surround sound.

Does the EXL have a power lift gate?

Do you live in a hot climate area? The touring, if you unlock all the doors with the FOB and then hold the unlock button down, will open all the windows including the sunroof to ventilate before you climb in.

Does the EXL have auto-dim rear view mirror or tilting exterior mirror when reversing?

Touring also comes with 2nd row sunshades built into the doors to protect little ones from sunburn while driving.

I hope that helps you make your decision.
I didn’t know about the voice command being able to switch the climate control. How can I activate this feature?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Personally I find the navigation feature to fulfill my needs with my 2020 Passport Touring. The system in the 3rd generation is a Garmin based system and much better than what was in the 2nd Generation.
This is the navigation system in my 1st generation Pilot. It cost about $25 on clearance at Target.

Product Gadget Communication Device Mobile phone Portable communications device

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
Who is this "our" and what are these "smartphones"?
Most phones that can be used to surf the internet and are unlike your Jitterbug flip phone.
Vertebrate Smile Mammal Toy Headgear

Reactions: Alc50

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
For surfing the 'net, I need a device with a screen that's larger than the palm of my hand, plus a real keyboard and mouse.
Keyboard is on screen and your finger is the mouse.
Font Line Office supplies Office equipment Screenshot

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
My GPS device has a touchscreen keyboard, which I don't like because I often end up hitting more than one key at the same time.
The new IPhone is big. Has a large keyboard.
Black Font Screenshot Line Communication Device

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Can it be folded up so that if fits in your pocket?
No. Just wear baggy pants. 😆
There are some that do fold.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,698 Posts
Have a 2013 EX-L with Navigation. The navigation is very bad and you also have to pay for updates every few years. It also looks very outdated.
Used the navigation on a 2020 Passport and worked, but most certainly didn’t give the most direct or efficient route.

EX-L models do have auto dimming mirror and power lift gate.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
This is directly from the sales brochure... there are certainly more differences but these are the ones Honda felt the need to highlight at the time:

Font Number Document Screenshot

The biggest reason I wish we had a Touring over the EX-L is for the turn signal mirrors (safety and style), I like the chrome side trim and unique wheels and the memory seats. I'm not interested in Nav tech that's over 10 years old and has highly outdated maps. The gauge cluster display screen is also way more capable (i-MID I think it was called) on the Touring trim, allowing you to adjust many different vehicle parameters and monitor some things more closely (like each tire's pressure rather than a dummy light telling you pressure is low somewhere).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts