Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a real exhaust upgrade? Also I'm guessing the order is pre cat..cat..then muffler? Or is it cat...resonator...then muffler? I'd like to delete the muffler at the rear and just run the cat with a dynomax bullet or some other race muffler.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
DemonCustoms said:
Has anyone done a real exhaust upgrade? Also I'm guessing the order is pre cat..cat..then muffler? Or is it cat...resonator...then muffler? I'd like to delete the muffler at the rear and just run the cat with a dynomax bullet or some other race muffler.
I've followed this board for most of its existence, and I'd guess that very few "regulars" would have any interest in modifying the exhaust. This seems to be for the most part a "family" vehicle, except for a few of us single Piloteers, who like it just the way it is.

Why are you interested in mod'ing the exhaust, since as it is it moves down the road and sounds just fine, 'specially when the VTEC kicks in?

If a different exhaust would yield better "around town" gas mileage, some of us might be interested.

--Jay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL, well actually yes, intake and exhaust mods would improve intown and highway fuel economy. For me, I can't leave anything alone. I've gotta mod it one way or another. This will be a family vehicle, yet at the same time I prefer a little more performance out of it, and a sportier exhaust note. I'd also like to find out why the MDX gets 20 additional hp, and also if it has the same 105mph cutoff and the 4500rpm redline in park/neutral?

·
Registered
747 Posts
DemonCustoms said:
The order for exhaust system is header, mid pipe with cat, cat back with muffler.

The most common one is 'cat back' or just muffler. I doubt there will be high flow cat with mid pipe nor header for pilot. Pilot isn't a sport car, I don't think the market will be big enough to support them.

However, I do see the market for stainless steel muffler on pilot since the factory muffler is so poorly treated. Rusting can be a problem for pilot later on, say in just two winters.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Re: Exhaust

timchen said:

However, I do see the market for stainless steel muffler on pilot since the factory muffler is so poorly treated. Rusting can be a problem for pilot later on, say in just two winters.
Keep in mind, that the Pilot stock muffler and exhaust system is guarenteed for the life of the car. Free replacement at dealers cost. Says right in the manual.

I'm not planning on swapping mine out just because of that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, then explain why there is what looks to be a cat right aft of the engine, a round muffler shaped thing under the 2nd row of seats, and the beer keg sized muffler that belongs on a diesel rig at the rear under the bumper? And if honda warrantied the exhaust for the life of the vehicle, then I'm assuming they are using a rather high grade of stainless steel througout the exhaust system?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Is pilot's exhaust made by stainless steel? I don't think so. It's painted black and I already found some rusting on the welding of tailpipe already. I am glade Honda guarantee exhaust system for life time, looks like some of us are going to exercise that right. The reason Honda can guarantee it is probably it's low cost for them and I don't think many pilot can use 3 set of muffler. I assume dealer isn't going to replace it because some rust unless puncture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
timchen said:
Is pilot's exhaust made by stainless steel? I don't think so. It's painted black and I already found some rusting on the welding of tailpipe already. I am glade Honda guarantee exhaust system for life time, looks like some of us are going to exercise that right. The reason Honda can guarantee it is probably it's low cost for them and I don't think many pilot can use 3 set of muffler. I assume dealer isn't going to replace it because some rust unless puncture.
I was kinda being sarcastic about it being stainless steel;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm one who can't leave anything alone either. Still, the mods on my Pilot are there to make it handle better, look more aggressive and add some functionality. I wouldn't mind another 20-30 hp, however, for when the thing is really loaded up. What are the differences with the MDX engine? Can they be easily done to the Pilot?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vijay said:
I'm one who can't leave anything alone either. Still, the mods on my Pilot are there to make it handle better, look more aggressive and add some functionality. I wouldn't mind another 20-30 hp, however, for when the thing is really loaded up. What are the differences with the MDX engine? Can they be easily done to the Pilot?
I'm the same way. I think stock, the tires are way to skinny as far as handling/saftey goes. I'm pretty sure with the Swamper tires, I'll have the agressive part covered also. And functionality should also be covered, as honda claims it to be used offroad, yet with the tires on it stock I would be affraid to take it down a country road:p

·
Registered
44 Posts
DeamonCustoms,

Go for it! Please keep us informed about your exhaust mods and if they improve performance. The fore mentioned, factory warranty only covers the muffler, not the pipes. So, the warranty is worth about $50. Also, I agree, the stock tires are too skinny and I plan to replace my tires with a wider profile tire later. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
August West said:
DeamonCustoms,

Go for it! Please keep us informed about your exhaust mods and if they improve performance. The fore mentioned, factory warranty only covers the muffler, not the pipes. So, the warranty is worth about $50. Also, I agree, the stock tires are too skinny and I plan to replace my tires with a wider profile tire later. Good luck.
I will let y'all know once we get it. I'm going to run a larger tire. The dealer already stated that if they installed them anything that happened related to the tires would be covered under factory warranty. So I'm not really worried about the 4wd, or the speedo as they can have it recalibrated. The exhaust, is totally up to me as any intake modifications. I'm thinking 30x11.50x16 Swamper Thornbirds. Deffinately something wide so it won't seem sooooo top heavy.Some upgraded sway bars would be great, yet lol since most people buying these are women who will never even lock the rear diff, I'm sure the aftermarket will be slim to none, unless a full on custom do it your self just happens to really boom. I swear Honda, if your gonna say its off road capable, don't crap out on us with the suspension/tires/non true 4wd

·
Registered
44 Posts
Demon,

I had not even dared to dream of better aftermarket sway bars. Wouldn't that be a sweet touch, along with wider tires, to tighten our Pilots handling. As for the AWD, I think most owners, myself included, think of it as "all weather drive". If I was smart, I would have bought another minivan, but I just couldn't do it, and purchased the Pilot instead, which is really just a minivan, with AWD and a "SUV" body. Personally, I'm not worried about taking the Pilot off road, because it will never go off road. However, it is sort of funny the way Honda markets the Pilot as a rugged, "go any where" vehicle, with the stock tires, suspension and transmission,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
August West said:
Demon,

I had not even dared to dream of better aftermarket sway bars. Wouldn't that be a sweet touch, along with wider tires, to tighten our Pilots handling. As for the AWD, I think most owners, myself included, think of it as "all weather drive". If I was smart, I would have bought another minivan, but I just couldn't do it, and purchased the Pilot instead, which is really just a minivan, with AWD and a "SUV" body. Personally, I'm not worried about taking the Pilot off road, because it will never go off road. However, it is sort of funny the way Honda markets the Pilot as a rugged, "go any where" vehicle, with the stock tires, suspension and transmission,

Yeah, I don't get the "go anywhere" part either....I'd be affraid to climb a grassy hill in the morning covered in dew. I pulled that stunt before in the S-10 when it still had its "car tires". Now, I'm running BFG Radial Long Trail T/As on it and its a whole different truck. Had Michelin LTX A/Ts on it before and those were some great tires. Never got stuck with either set, and I don't go easy on it:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have not experienced when the VTEC kick in. Is there a particular point where you can notice it? Is it when you accelerate to the floor? Would you please tell me to pay attention to that.

Thanks,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lalo212 said:
I have not experienced when the VTEC kick in. Is there a particular point where you can notice it? Is it when you accelerate to the floor? Would you please tell me to pay attention to that.

Thanks,
I'd say its around 3500-4000 RPMs. Its not noticeable like the 1.6L Civic Si

·
Registered
964 Posts
lalo212 said:

Thanks,
DemonCustoms is correct. I think it kicks in at about 4,000 rpm. I don't feel it as much as I hear it. The engine 'kicks it up a notch' as our cook friend might say. You do feel a bit of a punch in the power but it's not like it's chewing on nitrous or anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
smurray said:
DemonCustoms is correct. I think it kicks in at about 4,000 rpm. I don't feel it as much as I hear it. The engine 'kicks it up a notch' as our cook friend might say. You do feel a bit of a punch in the power but it's not like it's chewing on nitrous or anything.

I wish I could design these things. It'd have a real transfer case with a 4:1 low range. It'd ride on a full indepedant suspension that would readily accept 33s, or 35s. Coil overs of course. It'd have the V6 from the NSX with a 6spd manual, and not a 6000 rpm redline:rolleyes: I'd also make the second row seating area 8" longer, and add another 8" in the 3rd row, so someone could actually comfortably sit back there on a decent trip. If you wanted to lift it higher you could, and the computer won't freak out since its a real 4wd setup. Then it'd be easy to get into the ECM and change all the engine parameters to fit your individual needs. Not to mention a foot wider, yet only 2-3" higer. It would have larger wheel well openings to easily accept a 37x12.50 tire. I'd move the wheels out towards the corners for better handling, and would surely upgrade the measly sway bars it has on it now. Oh well, I'll just win the lottery, and make my own like this:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
DemonCustoms said:

I wish I could design these things. It'd have a real transfer case with a 4:1 low range. It'd ride on a full indepedant suspension that would readily accept 33s, or 35s. Coil overs of course. It'd have the V6 from the NSX with a 6spd manual, and not a 6000 rpm redline:rolleyes: I'd also make the second row seating area 8" longer, and add another 8" in the 3rd row, so someone could actually comfortably sit back there on a decent trip. If you wanted to lift it higher you could, and the computer won't freak out since its a real 4wd setup. Then it'd be easy to get into the ECM and change all the engine parameters to fit your individual needs. Not to mention a foot wider, yet only 2-3" higer. It would have larger wheel well openings to easily accept a 37x12.50 tire. I'd move the wheels out towards the corners for better handling, and would surely upgrade the measly sway bars it has on it now. Oh well, I'll just win the lottery, and make my own like this:D

Apart from the engine and tranny, isn't that called a H1 Hummer...:confused:

Bloke

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Bloke said:

Apart from the engine and tranny, isn't that called a H1 Hummer...:confused:

Bloke
So what he wants is a Hummer or Range Rover, he just wants it for under $30k!!

I am glad they built it the way they did for most of his wants would be negatives in my book.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts