Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Exhaust leak help

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  TJS 
#1 ·
Hey people! I have a 2004 with an exhaust leak in front on that flexy looking piece of pipe that has the mesh wrap, know what I'm talking about? The mesh is off and there are holes in it. Exhaust smell is really bad inside vehicle. I've fixed many exhaust leaks either by "Mickey mouse" or welding or whatever. I have never had to fix this part before. Right now replacing it isn't an option. Has anyone patched or taped this thing up with any success? If so what did you use? TIA.

Rich

#4 ·
Obviously your entire exhaust system needs to be inspected by a professional and repaired properly. If your going to keep driving it without a proper repair job, there is some stuff called Exhaust Wrap. This is not a long term solution. This may improve your situation and save you a few brain cells. Carbon Monoxide inside your car can kill. I recommend that you don't use the vehicle until it's fixed properly.

#5 ·
I know this. I have replaced whole exhaust systems so I'm not new to this, but I have never repaired this type of pipe. I'm just looking for a quick fix until I can cut and weld. I was hoping someone had some luck and could recommend a certain product.

#6 ·
That is called a flex section. You can get a new stainless section welded in, but it cannot be soldered or wrapped.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#7 ·
I have a 2004 with an exhaust leak in front on that flexy looking piece of pipe that has the mesh wrap, know what I'm talking about? The mesh is off and there are holes in it. Exhaust smell is really bad inside vehicle. I've fixed many exhaust leaks either by "Mickey mouse" or welding or whatever. I have never had to fix this part before. Right now replacing it isn't an option. Has anyone patched or taped this thing up with any success? If so what did you use?
The best way to repair this flex pipe problem is to replace it with a new front pipe. Front pipe is available from Walker but OEM is somewhat more expense. The biggest obstacle is loosening the bolts which are rusty and likely to crumble or snap. Temporarily I have covered the broken mesh part of the flex with some metal flashing and clamps.
One thing I don't recommend is visiting a nation-wide chain muffler shop who will cut off the old flex and unsuccessfully weld in a new one. In the attached picture I used an inspection mirror to look down upon this half-assed weld job that was subsequently covered with exhaust putty that blew off.

Attachments

#8 ·
The best way to repair this flex pipe problem is to replace it with a new front pipe. Front pipe is available from Walker but OEM is somewhat more expense. The biggest obstacle is loosening the bolts which are rusty and likely to crumble or snap. Temporarily I have covered the broken mesh part of the flex with some metal flashing and clamps.
One thing I don't recommend is visiting a nation-wide chain muffler shop who will cut off the old flex and unsuccessfully weld in a new one. In the attached picture I used an inspection mirror to look down upon this half-assed weld job that was subsequently covered with exhaust putty that blew off.
Thanks. I realize it needs to be replaced. The new pipe is on order. As I said, I was looking for something temporary to just keep the smell down. I wrapped it in metal tape and that did a good job. I plan on replacing the whole pipe. It's an easy job and I'm not too worried about it. The nuts on the flange at the cat are the only ones in tough shape, but I'll just cut those. Thanks

#10 ·
I was told that Walker now uses aluminized steel flanges on their SS Y-pipes. Magnaflow uses full-SS.

#13 ·
Glad your job went well. The bosal didnt fit for me but the walker did with a little crow bar action. Walker was $100 less than the bosal too. Did modify the upper connection location for the o2 sensor incase have to replace again. At 110,000 miles and 16 years old probably wont have to do this job again. On to the small oil leak at the oil filter housing gasket and another small oil leak coming from either valve cover gasket at the EGR or the gasket for the EGR. And front lower control arm bushings showing some cracking. Always something. Keep calm and carry on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.