Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

car definitely has an exhaust leak which is very loud...sometimes get codesP0137 and 136.... which goes away and comes back

tooks some picsof the flex pipe? Tell me what you think? And how much to fix. Driving till car dies but the noise is rattling me head so cheapest fix please. Ideally I want the exhaust shop to fix it under a hundred? What’s y’all experience with this stuff. Also heard just wrapping a larger flex pipe on top? also some people seal it?

also some random hanging cables that can be seen when walking up to the car

thanks for all y’all insight

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cheapest way to replace that flex is to probably find one from pilot being parted out, and just replace the whole pipe. Should be pretty straight forward...just gotta have the patience to deal with rusted fasteners.

A shop can weld on a flex pipe in place of your broken one but I'm not sure it'll be under hundred, you also do this yourself if you got a welder.

Those two cables are the parking brake cables.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Cheapest way to replace that flex is to probably find one from pilot being parted out, and just replace the whole pipe. Should be pretty straight forward...just gotta have the patience to deal with rusted fasteners.

A shop can weld on a flex pipe in place of your broken one but I'm not sure it'll be under hundred, you also do this yourself if you got a welder.

Those two cables are the parking brake cables.

Going to the Junkyard is better than going to Disneyland anyways. 😃

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
tooks some picsof the flex pipe? Tell me what you think? And how much to fix. Driving till car dies but the noise is rattling me head so cheapest fix please. Ideally I want the exhaust shop to fix it under a hundred? What’s y’all experience with this stuff. Also heard just wrapping a larger flex pipe on top? also some people seal it
This is a maintenance item for any old vehicle. Competent muffler shop (BS) could cut the old flex and weld on a new one. If the shop is lazy they may not completely weld around the pipe like in my pic and use putty on the top. The OEM front pipe has been discontinued so the aftermarket choices are Walker or Bosal. Check them out at RockAuto and you may find the price of the entire system comparable or less than the BS muffler shop. The exhaust system may not be as durable as OEM but they work and the junk yard ones may be as bad as yours due to the age. Because of the BS work I got from Meineke I bought a welder with the goal to make my own exhaust repairs or modified exhaust systems. Might want to inspect why those cables are sagging and do something about them before they get damaged.
Taking the old system down was easier than expected. Putting up the new system was even easier because there was no rust chips in my mouth or eyes:LOL:
Pipe Metal Steel Iron Bronze
Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Trunk

·
Registered
2005 Pilot EX-L
8 Posts
Hello BMW M3,
I have a similar problem .. I bought an aftermarket part from Northeastern Exhaust (China) because I wanted stainless steel and it was a low price .. the coated steel parts seem to only last three years or so .. Anyway, it arrived quickly, and the price was low .. Unfortunately, I had to make the flange holes bigger to fit onto the engine studs.. The bottom picture shows the holes enlarged. They should be round. This took a few rounds of cut and try to make work. I'm glad it cleared the oil pan, and other places fit well .. It didn't have the heat shields the Honda original had .. As others said, the rusted nuts required heating to remove. I think my flex pipe was over loaded because the hanger rusted through, putting more weight of the exhaust system onto the flex joint ..
If I had to do it again, I'd go with a bigger brand name company .. like Walker .. It's more likely to fit .. and deal without stainless steel .. I know stainless costs more, but it lasts much better.
I'm going to watch the hangers more carefully in the future, as I think mine rusted, and helped kill the flex pipe.
Also, I think replacing just the flex area is feasible, but mine has a really rusted outlet flange at the catalytic converter, and the rusted hanger .. so it would need a lot of repair time and material .. Making a new one better, even if the steel isn't stainless ..
Pipe Metal Iron Steel Cylinder
Hammer Tool Hand tool Natural material Antique tool
Metal Composite material Cylinder Material property Steel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh thanks for all the feedback here...

1. are those parking brake cables hanging a concern...my parking brake doesn’t even work.not that I need it to.

2. I have two local independent muffler shops by me luckily so hopefully they can quote me for free( I may be dreaming). I really don’t want to spend more than 100 because the car is literally my beater in the winter when the M3 Hibernates, but I do have to show some love to the pilot lol. I‘ve read decent feedback on just cutting out the flex portion and welding in a universal piece. I wonder if anyone can come within 100..:I still get 15 mpg so noise is only my real issue and fumes..

I know I am being el cheapo especially when I have over a 3k exhaust on my m3 😂

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Going to the Junkyard is better than going to Disneyland anyways. 😃
And the souvenirs you bring back are way more fun. :)

OP, given your criteria (i.e., "el cheapo 100"), it appears even Rockauto is slightly out of your league. :p

Still, for your consideration...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
185 for a flex pipe replacement LOL. And that’s at a local exhaust shop. Universal pipe is max 20 bucks...I paid 185 to have a full exhaust on my m3 installed, I guess some shops don’t want business. Need to find most ghetto shop to get this done for 100 or less.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Competent muffler shop (BS) could cut the old flex and weld on a new one. If the shop is lazy they may not completely weld around the pipe like in my pic and use putty on the top. The OEM front pipe has been discontinued so the aftermarket choices are Walker or Bosal. Check them out at RockAuto and you may find the price of the entire system comparable or less than the BS muffler shop. The exhaust system may not be as durable as OEM but they work and the junk yard ones may be as bad as yours due to the age. Because of the BS work I got from Meineke I bought a welder with the goal to make my own exhaust repairs or modified exhaust systems. Might want to inspect why those cables are sagging and do something about them before they get damaged.
Taking the old system down was easier than expected. Putting up the new system was even easier because there was no rust chips in my mouth or eyes:LOL:
9FE2AD30-F769-40CE-8DD6-8873BAEE26B3.jpeg

At first read I thought BS was a chain of muffler shops in your area, but now I see what you mean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HELP

so looks like its more than the flex pipe LOL. what do I need to buy, looks like a simple instaall now since it will be a part of the exhaust.

I also believe I drove like this for 80 miles. Whats another 40 going to hurt?

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
HELP
View attachment 146039

so looks like its more than the flex pipe LOL. what do I need to buy, looks like a simple instaall now since it will be a part of the exhaust.

I also believe I drove like this for 80 miles. Whats another 40 going to hurt?
Looks like someone "borrowed" your CAT or it rotted and fell off. Can't say this graciously but you might be deaf as the exhaust tone would be very loud.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Just straight pipe it from there.

Reactions: The Todd and aggrex

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol guys. i find this so ironic, that I was putting off the flex pipe and then some steals the CAT. Ugh just moved to philly....I am down to straight pipe it...this car will never see an inspection again. What are my options here.

1. Fix it properly here
Requires new CAT and Flex Y tube. Plus that 02 sensor that is hanging off

2. have an exhaust shop straight pipe it? Would it be somewhat quieter than what I got going right now?

Can I drive home ~40 miles all highway?

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
3,496 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Uh, sorry, just saw the wire.
So you have a check engine light on right now I assume?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup looks like an o2 sensor...I got codes 131,505,197(these were throwing before the cat was stolen) 141 is the new code

I am leaning to the straight pipe...car will never be inspected again...plus they will just steal my cat again. 100 bucks to straight pipe it apparently. I assume it will be quiet then a chunk of the exhaust missing lol. anyways might be difficult to straight pipe because there are two sections that go into the downpipe? idk

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts