Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Touring now with 25k miles. Been so busy with my toddler to notice this on the ground.

Is this normal for Pilots? None of my other vehicles have this black exhaust deposits on my property.

What could cause this? Conventional/synthetic blend oil (oil changes done at dealership only) or Gasoline (Primarily i use Costco, road trips Chevron).

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
712 Posts
From what I understand (and I don't claim to know all of the ins and outs), direct injection engines tend to have quite a bit more "soot" (particulate), come out of the exhaust then port injection setups. If you look at most vehicles with DI engines, the exhaust tips are usually much more dirty than other vehicles.

Just from my extended family's vehicles I've definitely noticed this, my mom constantly complains about how she cleans her GLC300 and a week later the exhaust tips are getting black again.

So yes, this is normal.

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Efiction-

In all my experiences with vehicles in different climates, I have had this same issue with any vehicles I have owned and operated in cold climates, or with temperature changes and humidity.

I’ve seen that the colder the temps, and humidity, and depending it you start the vehicle and warm it up for a bit before driving it, this appears to be normal and the water condensation from running the car in place will pick up the black ‘soot’ and exit the vehicle via the exhaust and when it leaves the car without it moving, will drip down like that. You don’t see it when you’re moving...

Just my .02¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Seen it on many cars allowed to idle for a long time in place. On the Pilot the Exhaust tip points downwards so guess where any exhaust goes....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts