Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove my new pilot. I'm very concerned about the excessive wind noise that I heard coming from the front of the car, driving at a speed of 55 mph and up. The wind noise was coming from the front of the car, (hood front) This car had no added outside features (roof rack, wind shield). The noise was quite load, it could be heard over the radio. It sounded like I was driving in a wind storm (which was not the case) I was wondering if this is the norm for the car?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've had my Pilot since June and have no wind noise at all. Do you by anychance have the Honda wind deflector added or any other dealer installed options? If so, that could be your problem

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've also noticed wind noise, but more around 70 - 75 MPH. My solution is turn up the radio.... works for me.... :D

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah, it does appear to be the norm. There IS wind noise with this vehicle. Some people just don't notice these things, others do-

·
Registered
241 Posts
Noise

Good question. What is on the outside of the thing? I was commenting how it sliced through the air fairly smoothly. I have no cross bars or other stuff and it is pretty quiet, from the air that is, road noise is another matter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Search the forums for cross bars and air deflectors as these 2 oem parts seem to be the culprits for the excessive wind noise.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Point of refernce

What are you compairing the Pilot to?

I find it quite quiet for an SUV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After driving the Pilot Today with the excessive wind noise, I then drove the Toyota Sequoia which have NO wind noise and was much more quite in the cabin

·
Registered
116 Posts
Never had any wind noise. Maybe the windows were slightly open? The Pilot is more quieter than my Toyota.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not characteristic

Few on this website are as picky as me when it comes to noise. I will pause for the "amens." But, the Pilot I have now and the one before, both fell into the acceptable category when it came to wind noise. First you need to determine if it is from the doors, windows or windshield area. I have adjusted my doors and greatly reduced the buffeting sounds when an 18 wheeler passes me. Note I said passes me. It is likely that just tightening the doors will help. Are your windows going all the way to the top? About a year ago, I rented a Camry. I was ready to take it back when I realized I could stuff a paper napkin between the windshield and the dash near the right front corner and eliminate the sound. During glass installation, they had not placed the sealant for a space of nearly two inches. Certainly you don't have cross bars on the roof rack? I believe you have a unique problem that is solveable. BPILOT

·
Registered
99 Posts
BPilot you said you adjusted your doors and greatly reduced the buffeting sounds.....

How did you adjust the doors? Give up the details.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pilot4me

I use a 3/8 inch drive rachet and a philips screwdriver head socket(cant remember the number) that fits the phillips screws on the door latch attached to the door frame. This is the silver piece on the door frame that has two phillips screws securing it. Sears has the socket for about $4 bucks. I always mark them with a pencil or such to be sure that they move. Don't take the screws out, just loosen them until they are almost finger tight and tap the latch in the direction you want the door to go, in this case inward and maybe slightly up. Carefully tighten. You may have to go back some as the door will be difficult to close. This does get better as the gaskets do compress over time. Let me know if you need more. BPILOT

·
Registered
148 Posts
Slight buffet sound

My Pilot is far quieter than my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherekee was. The Jeep felt like I was going 110 at 70MPH. My Pilot does have a slight wind buffet-like "whip, whip" sound from what sounds to be above the roof line. Almost like something is hanging out and whipping around. It is very minor.

Toyota does seem to be the best in the world at noise isolation. However, it usually compromises road-feel, handling, etc. Sequoia is a very bad handling vehicle in emergencies according to most test reviews.

·
Registered
241 Posts
wind noise

I eliminated a lot of the wind noise by quitting the bean burritos and stashing the mother-in-law in with the head rests..............

·
Registered
45 Posts
onlyest wind noise i get is when i open the rear windows with the front ones closed NOW THAT IS WIND NOISE!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wind Noise IS a problem

I'm hardly a whiner so, for me to say YES, you have to know that the amount of wind noise I am experiencing is enormous.

When I have the windows down and am travelling over 55, there is the most DEAFENING sound I have ever heard from the wind. I have owned all sorts of vehicles and none of them have ever done this before. Its a loud, throbbing noise that not even the radio drowns out. The only work around is to close the windows.

I plan on telling the dealer about it.

No matter though ... I LOVE my Pilot.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is it only the windows in the back that the noise occurs? or when you open the front windows also?

rob

·
Registered
161 Posts
"Against The Wind"

:D Briane

You are driving against the wind, no matter what you'll going to hear a wind noise. Even a super luxury car can still hear a wind noise. That just the way it is Live With It.

SS-EX-L Res #35211

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand exactly what Briane is talking about. I noticed the same excessive wind noise coming from around the windshield today when I drove the Pilot I am seriously considering buying. This is the third time I've driven a Pilot, but the first that I've noticed this much noise. It did have a wind deflector, but one of the others I drove did too and I didn't notice the problem with it. It was slightly windy and the noise was louder driving jnto the wind, but remained even when driving with the wind. I have told the dealer this would have to be corrected before purchase. I own an Accord and it doesn't have this much wind noise. Any suggestions?

Vicdarfer :confused:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts