Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Monroe Quick Strut kit from Rock Auto and a set of cheap $69.99 Chinese Goodshop-US lower control arms on Ebay for my 2005 EX-L. The front end is now around 2 inches higher than the rear and my garage refuses to do an alignment because the "shocks aren't correct". I plan to put the old control arms back on tomorrow to see if the vehicle sits right. I went back on Ebay and the control arms I purchased are "not compatible" with the EX-L model but fit the EX and LX models. I'm hoping the struts I bought are OK for the EX-L and all I need to do is get new lower EX-L specific control arms. Has anyone had this EX-L issue?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
No, but the only thing I could say is that I'd stay away from Monroe.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Monroe quick struts are cheaply made they do the job but they do not last as long as KYB and others out there ..i'm also using Monroe quickies on my 06 .I liked them cause you bolt on the application nothing to mess with the coil compression. When you put the lower control arms on where they the same ? did you compare the parts before install? A lower control arm would NOT cause the pilot to sit 2 inches higher . take the part numbers off the strut and compare them to rockauto to tell you what side they are supposed to be on .. if they are sitting high they are installed on the wrong side .

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Coil compression is highly overrated. Watch Scotty on youtube, he shows how "dangerous" (NOT) it is.

·
Super Moderator
15,182 Posts
No differences to my knowledge. You can check on one of the dealer sites like Bernardi to be sure. There were differences between the MDX and Pilot suspension back then. But that was mainly a matter of tuning and a rear suspension brace

·
Registered
464 Posts
I purchased a Monroe Quick Strut kit from Rock Auto and a set of cheap $69.99 Chinese Goodshop-US lower control arms on Ebay for my 2005 EX-L. The front end is now around 2 inches higher than the rear and my garage refuses to do an alignment because the "shocks aren't correct". I plan to put the old control arms back on tomorrow to see if the vehicle sits right. I went back on Ebay and the control arms I purchased are "not compatible" with the EX-L model but fit the EX and LX models. I'm hoping the struts I bought are OK for the EX-L and all I need to do is get new lower EX-L specific control arms. Has anyone had this EX-L issue?
If you torqued up the LCA bushing bolts while the Pilot was in the air, with the suspension hanging, it's possible that you temporarily locked in a little extra lift. Try just breaking loose the LCA bushings (not the lower ball joint) and then retorque the bolts while the wheels are on the ground.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
If you torqued up the LCA bushing bolts while the Pilot was in the air, with the suspension hanging, it's possible that you temporarily locked in a little extra lift. Try just breaking loose the LCA bushings (not the lower ball joint) and then retorque the bolts while the wheels are on the ground.
exactly how does one lock in lift when the lca is always in motion they are not stationary. I have seen in shops where there was lift from the struts not being installed to the correct side since there is an angle on the strut mount that needs to settle correctly with the new strut..or the rear springs and shocks are shot will also cause the front end to be higher.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The front bushing of the LCA wants to rotate up and down. This bushing has an inner sleeve which is bonded to a rubber surround, which in turn is bonded to the LCA casting. The inner sleeve gets bolted tight to the frame. If the LCA is bolted tight when the knuckle assembly is hanging low on a lift, this creates a torsion effect in the rubber bonding, which will then resist rotation when weight is put on the suspension. Resisting rotation has the effect of adding a bit of lift. Eventually the inner sleeve should shift to a more neutral position, but the initial torsion locked into the rubber will try to release by adding a bit of lift to the knuckles until the inner sleeve rotates. Either that, or the rubber bonding may fail prematurely due to the torsion locked in.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
The front bushing of the LCA wants to rotate up and down. This bushing has an inner sleeve which is bonded to a rubber surround, which in turn is bonded to the LCA casting. The inner sleeve gets bolted tight to the frame. If the LCA is bolted tight when the knuckle assembly is hanging low on a lift, this creates a torsion effect in the rubber bonding, which will then resist rotation when weight is put on the suspension. Resisting rotation has the effect of adding a bit of lift. Eventually the inner sleeve should shift to a more neutral position, but the initial torsion locked into the rubber will try to release by adding a bit of lift to the knuckles until the inner sleeve rotates. Either that, or the rubber bonding may fail prematurely due to the torsion locked in.
gotcha :) forgot bout that stupid sleeve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Monroe quick struts are cheaply made they do the job but they do not last as long as KYB and others out there ..i'm also using Monroe quickies on my 06 .I liked them cause you bolt on the application nothing to mess with the coil compression. When you put the lower control arms on where they the same ? did you compare the parts before install? A lower control arm would NOT cause the pilot to sit 2 inches higher . take the part numbers off the strut and compare them to rockauto to tell you what side they are supposed to be on .. if they are sitting high they are installed on the wrong side .
I put the new lower control arms next to the old ones and also made a few measurements (with a tape measure) before installing them. They appeared to be the same size. I wrote to the supplier (Goodshop-US) and they replied that the control arms are not compatible with the EX-L model. I don't understand why since front lower control arms on several sites such as Rock Auto list arms for any 2005 pilot. In any event, I'm returning them to the supplier and hopefully getting my money back. Is it really possible to install the struts on the wrong side? They appear to only go on one way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gotcha :) forgot bout that stupid sleeve
I suspected this was the issue especially since I used the wrong (higher) torque on the bolts to the subframe. I have now put the old control arms back on and torqued them properly. It seems a little lower. If it doesn't settle down and sit right, I will loosen and retorque the bolts without putting the car on jacks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the comments. I will get the part numbers off of the Monroe struts and compare them to Rock Auto part numbers. Next question - I still need to buy new lower front control arms because my rubber bushings are cracked. I am returning the crappy cheap ones I bought on Ebay. My Pilot has 230k on it and, while I hope to get many more miles, I don't want to spend much. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive brand and source? I also need to get new rear stabilizer links.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I used Duralast ones from autozone no problem with them at all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why is it that when I search online for front lower control arms on many sites I find several brands but when I do a compatibility check and enter the EX-L trim, the arms are not compatible with my trim model? I checked Autozone and it doesn't have anywhere to enter the EX-L trim level so how do I trust that their arms will work on my EX-L?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You could also keep your OEM LCAs and just press out the bushings and ball joints. Not all shops have bells to press out the front bushing though.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
thought the EXL only meant Leather trim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up buying MOOG R series control arms after the supplier guaranteed fit and stock size ball joints. $90 each. Hopefully they work well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts