Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an odd one... I wanted to see if anyone else has expirenced this. With the release of the new/old Rolling Stones compilation CD Forty Licks, there seemed no better time to test out the quality of the stereo in our new EXL-RES. Much to my dismay, when the CD reached the latter tracks (18, 19 & 20) on both CDs, a very loud clicking sound came bellowing from the in-dash CD player. It sounded just like skipping, only amplified about ten times. The worst part was it sounded as if something could be getting damaged.

To narrow it down I played the same two CDs in our '98 Accord. No problem at all.

The only conclusion that I come to is that the reading mechanism is somehow obstructed such that it can't make over to the higher numbered tracks. I am going to find a few other CDs with 20+ tracks and see if they demonstrate the same problem or not.

Does anybody think this is a warranty issue? I realize that it is a fairly isolated problem at this point. Anyone else out there had this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
mcannon,

Have you checked the owner's manual to see if it says anything about the cd player only playing tracks 1-17? If that disclaimer isn't in the manual, then I would say you have a legit warranty claim. (If it is in the manual, then I'd say we all have a legit beef, although possibly not a warranty claim).

I'll be interested to know what you find out with a few other cds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine has never had that problem. Wonder what it is :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar problem when I purchased my new Bose system for my home. Every time I got to a certain point on a CD it would start to skip and make a loud scratching noise. When I contacted Bose they said that the laser needed to be reset on the CD player. I ended up getting a whole new system because they found that the laser was defective. Don't know if this could be your problem but it might be work checking into.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Elvis Rules

I play the new Elvis' 30 Number One Hits CD in my Pilot and it plays all 30 fine.

Hunka Hunka Rollin Pilot

:2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is this a burnt CD (CD-R)? There are some posts regarding unplayable CD-R's.

I have a CD containing 20 tracks which I composed from two different CD's and it plays perfectly. Maybe the CD player is more sensitive to scratches than others and skips the track? I had that problem on some CD player's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've verified the problem with three other brand-new CDs. That makes five total. All brand new, not copies, compilations, etc. The dealer said they do have another head unit in stock, so we'll see about getting it replaced. While we're there, we'll have them check the gas tank relaese that never opens until the third or fourth pull...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm betting it's your unit. I've got quite a few compilations that I put together for the kids (2 and 4), and as such, the songs are pretty short. Of the 5-6 that have over 20-tracks, 2 have over 30 , and they've never given me any trouble.

There's probably 3 different brands of CD-R's, so I've been pretty happy with the results in the Pilot.

Ed F

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the Pilot in on Saturday and got the gas cover fixed with a new spring and a minor adjustment. The CD-unit has to be replaced. The dealer concluded that it is some kind of mechanical defect, so they are ordering another. We'll see how it goes from here. Thanks for the feedback.

On another note, the service guy said the saggy leather seats were "normal." Interesting since the sales guy in the same dealership said he never heard of the problem with anyone else...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Your CD player may have a problem, however, I'd be surprised if it's related to the track number. More likely it's related to the time total of all of the other tracks.

Some CD players are not designed to play the tracks past the 72 minute mark. With CDs now pushing up to the 80 minute max, the last 8 minutes or so may be not be accessible by the pickup head.

The clicking sound you heard may be the pickup head trying to motor (unsuccessfully) up to its physical limit. :eek:

Add up the time of the individual songs which play back successfully. If the failure occurs above 72 minutes, it's probably just the limitation of the CD player Honda used. If it's less, you probably have a defective player.

I don't know if the Pilot CD player has a 72 minute or 80 minute max, so by all means either way, if the dealer agrees to change it out, let them. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts