Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a scary moment in our Pilot over the weekend. :13:

We were driving on 610 East Loop in Houston and a Landscaping pickup towing a trailer full of mowers had a flat and decided it would be a good idea to stop in the middle of the fast lane of the freeway.

As the driver cut across two lanes of traffic and stopped part-way on the left shoulder of the freeway I was coming over an overpass right into the middle of his horrible mistake in judgement. I had traffic breathing down my neck so an abrupt stop would not have been a good idea. I began to slow down to warn everyone behind me that there was an idiot ahead. I then came up on the trailer sticking out into the fast lane quite quickly. My wife was screaming "right lane clear"! I had slowed to around 50 MPH and steered the Pilot quickly into the next lane and around the offending moron. I missed hitting him by only inches. The Minivan following to close behind me also barely missed this mental giant stopped in the left lane. I am sure someone tagged him later on.

To make a long story short the Pilot handled the aburpt manuever like a champ but there are probably some pucker marks in both seats were we were hanging on.

Thank God, my 5 month old son was not with us but with my Mom at the time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think this is the 2nd close call someone has had and came out of it unscathed. Glad to know the Pilot can handle well in an emergency if it needs to.

Glad you're all ok. :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Glad to hear that the Pilot handled well and you both came out incident-free.

I remember an incident a few years ago - very similar to the one you mentioned. Somewhere outside Dallas (while we were visiting there) a moron had decided to leave his broken-down car in the fast lane with no hazards no indication, nothing. My B-I-L saw this at the last moment and swerved to the left shoulder and passed him on the left through the shoulder. Needless to say - very close call, all of us were shuddering for a few minutes. We had our 3 year old daughter with us at that time too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts