Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Pilot Elite with 8,000 miles did not pass NYS inspection because my battery died before and I have to use other car boost. These codes from computer : evap and egr not ready . After this problem I drove approximately 1,000 and still same problem. Dealer advise is keep driving it will reset eventually. So how many more miles should I put on?

·
Registered
254 Posts
After a 1000 miles, the codes should have reset. There is a procedure on how to quickly set the readiness codes on page 728 of the owner‘s manual. I‘ve found the EGR readiness code is a bit difficult to set and it often will unset itself even without a battery failure. I haven’t had the dealer look at it yet but I will at the next service visit. An easy check for readiness codes is to turn ON the ignition without starting the engine. Observe the CEL. It will illuminate for about 10 secs. If it goes out then readiness codes are set. If it flashes 5 times before turning off then readiness codes are not set. You need a OBDll scanner to determine which code (s) are not set.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will try this. I wonder why dealer, actually I went to 2 different dealers, not suggest this. Both saying to keep driving.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Because most times that’s all it takes. That‘s what the dealer told me when mine weren’t set after about 3K miles on my Pilot. I performed the procedure in the OM and they still weren’t set. I made an appt to have it looked at the next day and the morning of the appt the codes were set so I canceled the appt. Now at 18K and EGR is showing not ready again and I can’t get EGR ready to set with the procedure after trying several times. Not sure how long EGR has not been set because I hadn’t checked in at least a year. Getting close to the first emission test visit now.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only problem is my inspection sticker is expired and I could get $ 65.00 summons any time parking on the street. Dealers told me they can't do anything to fix it.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
These newer vehicles, and all there Green energy now sensors and crap are a PITA!!

PITA I tell ya!

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
254 Posts
If the procedure in the OM doesn’t set the readiness code, take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. You can tell the you followed the instructions in the OM. I just checked my RL and it’s reporting the EGR is not ready too. Maybe this readiness monitor test is sensitive to the 12V bus voltage, haven’t been driving much these days.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I'm surprised a 2019 even has to be emission inspected. Usually you get 4 years before you have to start getting inspections.

The computers seem to be so finicky. I would just keep driving it.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the procedure in the OM doesn’t set the readiness code, take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it. You can tell the you followed the instructions in the OM. I just checked my RL and it’s reporting the EGR is not ready too. Maybe this readiness monitor test is sensitive to the 12V bus voltage, haven’t been driving much these days.
I will try OM instruction in a couple days. Thanks!
I'm surprised a 2019 even has to be emission inspected. Usually you get 4 years before you have to start getting inspections.

The computers seem to be so finicky. I would just keep driving it.
That's NYS law. Cant park on the street because inspection sticker is expired and will get $65 every time.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Other potential option.... can you take it to the dealer for the inspection? If it fails it should be under warranty. A lot of times the dealers know all the tricks to get this stuff to set faster.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Other potential option.... can you take it to the dealer for the inspection? If it fails it should be under warranty. A lot of times the dealers know all the tricks to get this stuff to set faster.
Yes Pilot was inspected by dealer. I was told more driving needed to reset codes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes Pilot was inspected by dealer. I was told more driving needed to reset codes.
Lovely - Most shops would do a drive cycle rather than telling you "good luck". Disappointing.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
I had my Pilot battery on a slow/float charge the other week one night just to make sure my wife wouldn't have any trouble starting it the next morning (very cold) . Woke up, took off the charge cables, turned on the engine to let it idle only to find the battery light come on! Turned engine off, let sit for awhile, turn back on, everything fine.
Honda's weird ELD system probably going haywire. Would imagine jump starting a Honda would leave open possibilities of damaging some electrical components though probably extremely unlikely.

I would yank the ground cable off the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then let everything reset/relearn

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had my Pilot battery on a slow/float charge the other week one night just to make sure my wife wouldn't have any trouble starting it the next morning (very cold) . Woke up, took off the charge cables, turned on the engine to let it idle only to find the battery light come on! Turned engine off, let sit for awhile, turn back on, everything fine.
Honda's weird ELD system probably going haywire. Would imagine jump starting a Honda would leave open possibilities of damaging some electrical components though probably extremely unlikely.

I would yank the ground cable off the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then let everything reset/relearn
If I pull negative terminal I'm afraid everything start rom beginning. I'm going to follow instruction in OM on page 728 and see if this going to help.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Typically the Evap not read will go away in two/three starts. You need to go back to the dealer. Hopefully your last visit was documented at the dealer rather than just a phone call. They need to address this issue.
Also wondering whether you got one of those bad batteries that has an intermittent fault triggering the codes.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Typically the Evap not read will go away in two/three starts. You need to go back to the dealer. Hopefully your last visit was documented at the dealer rather than just a phone call. They need to address this issue.
Also wondering whether you got one of those bad batteries that has an intermittent fault triggering the codes.
I did at least 20 restarts, battery looks so far good no problems to starting the car. After driving over 1,000 Miles dealer last suggestion was " keep driving the codes will reset it self "

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Don't take that we don't want to do anything. If they refuse again to clear the codes, give Honda a call. The number is in the owners manual. There is no quicker way of getting dealer service departments interested than a friendly call for help.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't take that we don't want to do anything. If they refuse again to clear the codes, give Honda a call. The number is in the owners manual. There is no quicker way of getting dealer service departments interested than a friendly call for help.
Thanks, I'm going to do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts