Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, I wanted to find out how damaging to the environment venting 134a, and how many tree's it would take to offset the venting to educate myself and others.

According to the EPA, 1g of 134a released to the atmosphere is the same as releasing 1,430g of CO2.

Young tree's absorb about 13 lbs of CO2 a year, while adult (10 year old) tree's consume 48 lbs/year.

Based on this, lets assume the following, 1st year = no CO2 reduction, and that we want to offset our greenhouse emissions from venting over the next 20 years.

So 9x 13lbs = 117lbs, and 10x 48lbs = 480lbs, or 597 lbs when added together. So one tree over the course of 20 years will offset close to 600 lbs of CO2 in that time.

1g of 134a = 1430g of CO2. 1430 / 28.3495 (grams in an ounce) = 50.44 Ounces (3.15 lbs), so 1g of 134a, is equivalent to 3.15 lbs of CO2 emissions. 3.15 * 28.3495 = 89.3 lbs of CO2 for every ounce vented.

Worst case scenario, you vent a full system, which should between 24.7 - 26.5 oz. 26.5 * 89.3lbs of CO2 per ounce, and that is 2366.47 lbs of CO2. 2366.48 / 597 means I would need to plant 3.963 tree's to offset that over 20 years.

Well what if we wanted to offset that with only "Juvenile" Trees in their first 10 years of life? Well, 2366.47 / 117 lbs = 20.22 Trees.

How hard/expensive is it to have someone else plant a tree, and care for them to ensure they reach adulthood (and beyond)? $1/each thanks to 🌳 #TeamTrees 🌲

Let's not forget the Simpsons predicted Trump becoming president... if we forget ourselves, and abandon the planet, I don't think we are far off from this prediction as well:

TLDR: If you're going to vent to the atmosphere, do the right thing and plant some trees at least.

“EPA performs random inspections, responds to tips, and pursues potential cases against violators of the Section 608 regulations. EPA is authorized to assess fines of up to $37,500 per day for any violation of these regulations.”

In addition, there is a $10,000 “rat-out” fee your neighbor can collect if you’re venting refrigerant and he tattles on you.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
@cloudasc
The one thing that can give you what you want is made a joke.
Please reconsider and investigate.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@cloudasc
The one thing that can give you what you want is made a joke.
Please reconsider and investigate.
I meant no disrespect. Personally I'm a person of science, and am considered "agnostic", as I neither believe, or disbelieve in a "higher power". Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, regardless of which religion it is, as they overall serve a greater purpose at keeping us from being absolute savages, and help establish morals that we generally can agree upon.

(Without going into excessive detail) I've had a mix of Catholic and Christian upbringing, with the core values of Boy Scouts, and being environmental friendly. This necklace I wear around my neck was blessed by a long-time Catholic priest friend of my grandfathers, given to me as a gift from my grandmother.

I can actually thank the Jews for my present job after being wrongfully terminated for almost a year, 2 weeks before my son was born, which I've since held for over 8 years, and literally saved my Family.

Whether it's luck, fate, karma, a "higher power", or some mix of all of them, I consider myself blessed and grateful for what I have, and the people I have around me.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Agreed don't get me started on Politics or religion ... .... Muhahahahaha

Actually i could be wrong but the r12 is the one that destroys the ozone and shit... the 134a destroys the mechanics heath that's why they switched over.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
Or the ultimate no no, the politics of religion.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
or allowing PLPLPLPL to open another oil debate

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Or a poll on ATF trans fluid debate

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
Even better, maybe before Rocky moves on we can get him to combine all of the various ATF threads into one giant thread.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually i could be wrong but the r12 is the one that destroys the ozone and shit... the 134a destroys the mechanics heath that's why they switched over.
The refrigerant R-12 was enlarging the hole in our ozone (where 134a doesn't), and also contributing to greenhouse gasses. R-12 has a Global Warming Potential of 10,900 (or 1g is equal to 10900g (21.28 lbs of CO2), or 7.62 times worse than 134a. Numbers from the California Air Resource Board: High-GWP Refrigerants | California Air Resources Board

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
Per the EPA:
HFC-134a: a Potent Greenhouse Gas
  • Most common refrigerant used in MVAC systems since the 1990s
  • Potent greenhouse gas with a global warming potential that is 1,430 times that of CO2
  • Use of HFC-134a in MVAC systems accounts for an estimated 24% of total global HFC consumption. It is the most abundant HFC in the atmosphere.
  • HFC-134a will no longer be approved for use in new light-duty vehicles manufactured or sold in the United States as of model year 2021 as a result of EPA’s July 2015 final rule under SNAP (July 20, 2015, 80 FR 42870).
    • Limited exemption (narrowed use limit) through MY 2025 for use of HFC-134a in vehicles destined for use in countries that do not have infrastructure in place for servicing with other acceptable refrigerants (July 20, 2015, 80 FR 42870).
    • Servicing of existing vehicles using HFC-134a with HFC-134a will not be impacted and will continue to be allowed.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Annnnnnnnnd opening a 7 month old thread ...... 134a after long exposure will kill the mechanic eventually like everything else in this world like ..taxes ..listening to the long stories at your mother in laws place...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts