Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Pilot w/VORTEC engine. Last run 4 months ago. Started and stopped normally.
4 months later won't crank. New battery still no crank, New starter no crank, put wrench on crankshaft pulley won't turn (clockwise). pulled all plugs put Marvel mystery oil in all cylinders, let set a week. still no crank. tried turning counterclockwise and engine rotates freely two complete revolutions. tried clockwise and engine is bound up. pulled started to make sure no stuck starter drive. Still no movement clockwise but turns freely all day long counterclockwise.
Completely baffled on this on. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Pull the covers and verify cam timing and belt integrity. The lock-up needs to be solved before you go any further.

Why was it parked 4 months ago?

·
Registered
106 Posts
By "won't crank", does the starter solenoid click and the engine won't turn, or does anything happen when you turn the key? If the solenoid won't even click, I'd make sure the park/neutral switch is working. Maybe shift into and out of gear, or try starting it in neutral. Ditto on checking the valve timing, turning the engine counter clockwise (looking at the crank pulley) is backward and you may have jumped teeth on the belt. It's an interference engine, so STOP TURNING IT until you make sure the timing is right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starter solenoid clicks and engages the flywheel but no turn. Crankshaft is locked in the clockwise position. If you turn it counterclockwise it turns freely. At any point you stop and try to turn clockwise it is LOCKED no matter at what degree the crankshaft pulley is. I am aware this is an interference engine. Timing belt did not slip while turning backwards.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
Lets pull the plugs to eliminate compression and see if it turns over. If it wont go the full 360.....that would be bad news.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Being able to rotate the engine is good news. But doing it in reverse (counter clockwise) risks the belt jumping time.
The only thing I can think of that could stop the engine from turning is if there is something hanging up in the drive belt or has actually wedged in the timing belt and gear some how. Look for evidence of rodents.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets pull the plugs to eliminate compression and see if it turns over. If it wont go the full 360.....that would be bad news.
Plugs are all out will go full 360 in reverse smoothly. At any point in the 360 degrees rotation go back to clockwise and it will not budge

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd pull one of the inspection plugs on the cam covers and make sure the cams are turning while you're turning it backwards.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Whack the starter with a hammer, or pull the starter and see if the engine turns freely.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I did that already. Still wont turn over.
Might remove the starter and see if the engine will turn clockwise. Get the starter tested.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Remove the starter and try it. A stuck starter is about the only thing that I can think of that would cause what you are describing.

I am assuming that the timing belt component part is all like it should be.

·
Registered
912 Posts
hmm. if you removed the starter, and the accessory belts, there's not much left mechanically, other than valve train (timing belt jamming in forward direction, mangled rocker arm, etc) or transmission (pump or torque converter).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts