Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

We purchased our 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L new so it's getting up there in years. We're starting to experience all sorts of odd ODBll Error Codes. One that popped up a few weeks ago is the VTX-4 light. What's strange is, whenever it pops up, the Engine Warning Light also appears. At first, I didn't really pay much attention because we do not use the VTX-4 as we never go off-road. After doing a little research, I came across a couple of YouTube videos and Forum write-ups that say they replaced the Differential Oil Sensor and replaced the Rear Differential Oil at the same time and it clears up this issue. I'm going to replace both the Oil and the Sensor regardless because we have 160k on the vehicle and never changed the Rear Oil.

I'm looking for any additional suggestions or input. Has anyone had this same issue with the VTX-4 Light? Did replacing the Sensor and Differential Oil make it go away? Any/all replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Get the trouble codes read with a Honda specific code reader. That will give you a better idea of what is wrong. Good call on changing the rear differential fluid if it has never been changed. If you DIY, remove the fill port first.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Get the trouble codes read with a Honda specific code reader. That will give you a better idea of what is wrong. Good call on changing the rear differential fluid if it has never been changed. If you DIY, remove the fill port first.
Thank you, road2cycle. Never heard of a Honda-specific code reader. I'll look into that this evening! Got ya on opening the Fill Port first. Thank you for your reply. Great feedback!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,254 Posts
The Foxwell NT630 scanner is the least expensive that I know of the can read Honda-specific codes. After paying a dealership $90 once for hooking up their proprietary HDS machine to clear a leftover VSA dash light, I'm glad I got it.

89.51US $ 34% OFF|Foxwell NT630 Plus OBD2 Automotive Scanner Engine Check ABS SRS Airbag SAS Reset Code Reader ODB OBD 2 Auto Car Diagnostic Tool|car obd2|obd2 diagnosticscanner tools - AliExpress

If it comes to replacing the VTM-4 fluid sensor, or even other VTM-4 components, this ought to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
@plplplpl I've seen you post that damn link to the Foxwell scanner so many damn times and damn if I finally broke down and bought one just now. Thank you for your persistence.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Howdy,

We purchased our 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L new so it's getting up there in years. We're starting to experience all sorts of odd ODBll Error Codes. One that popped up a few weeks ago is the VTX-4 light. What's strange is, whenever it pops up, the Engine Warning Light also appears. At first, I didn't really pay much attention because we do not use the VTX-4 as we never go off-road. After doing a little research, I came across a couple of YouTube videos and Forum write-ups that say they replaced the Differential Oil Sensor and replaced the Rear Differential Oil at the same time and it clears up this issue. I'm going to replace both the Oil and the Sensor regardless because we have 160k on the vehicle and never changed the Rear Oil.

I'm looking for any additional suggestions or input. Has anyone had this same issue with the VTX-4 Light? Did replacing the Sensor and Differential Oil make it go away? Any/all replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
A common issue with high miles is misfire due to carbon build up in the EGR passages in the intake manifold. This will trigger the Check Engine Light and the VTM4 light. As has been recommended above, read the codes. If an EGR related code is set, then you are due to clean out that system and replace the PCV valve as well. When dirty EGR passages cause misfire, the computer will set the CEL, and also turn off the VTM-4 system. In this case, the VTM4 light is due to the engine misfire. When you correct the misfire issue, the VTM4 system will function again.

Sounds like you are due for VTM4 service anyway. BTW, you don't need to push the button to use the system. It is automatic, and engages when needed without any input from the driver. You have been using it all along when conditions required.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A common issue with high miles is misfire due to carbon build up in the EGR passages in the intake manifold. This will trigger the Check Engine Light and the VTM4 light. As has been recommended above, read the codes. If an EGR-related code is set, then you are due to clean out that system and replace the PCV valve as well. When dirty EGR passages cause misfire, the computer will set the CEL, and also turn off the VTM-4 system. In this case, the VTM4 light is due to the engine misfire. When you correct the misfire issue, the VTM4 system will function again.

Sounds like you are due for VTM4 service anyway. BTW, you don't need to push the button to use the system. It is automatic and engages when needed without any input from the driver. You have been using it all along when conditions required.
Thank you, STMech! I had the valves adjusted and all codes disappeared! I also changed out the differential Oil Sensor but that didn't fix the issue as it was a week between that and the valve adjustment and we still had the VTX-4 light. But it's gone now! But now we have a PO420 Catalytic Converter code. Any suggestions, besides installing a new converter? (O2 Sensors? etc...)

And BTW, I knew I didn't have to push the VTX-4 button for it to work. I read that button is only when you get stuck or in a challenging area where you need all 4 wheels to engage immediately.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The PO420 code indicates that the catalytic converter is not functioning as it should. On a 16 year old Pilot, this could be due to the oxygen sensors no longer working correctly. Of course, it could be that the catalytic converter is failing. Yes, if you are going to throw new parts at it, start with the cheaper ones. I don't know how to tell which one is failing, perhaps another Piloteer can share his knowledge. I would start with the sensors, and hope that it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,254 Posts
If all else fails for a PO420 code, short of the expense of replacing it you could hail Mary lacquer thinner or Cataclean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts