Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

Sorry if this came up on another thread, just spent an hour looking.

Problem: When I'm accelerating the pilot, as I pass through 2000RPM to about 3000RPM I hear that awesome power of the VTEC engine, but I also here a vibration or rattling sound under the hood. It seems to come from the left side (driver side). When I place the car in neutral, open the hood and run the same RPM's, there is no sound/vibration/rattle.....Thus, the condition exist only under engine load conditions (in gear). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Throttle Cable Bracket Rattle

Since this problem does not occur with the hood open you might take a look at something that is touching the hood when it is closed. I remembered reading this on our forum and thought you might want to try it to see if it might help.

The answer to the 3000 RPM buzz (and a few other engine rattles, and buzzes, according to the MDX forum) is to bend the throttle cable bracket a small amount.

This was noted on the MDX forum, and in an NHTSA bulletin.

The bracket is on the driver's front shock tower just in behind the air cleaner.

The bolt on this bracket must be tight, and the bracket must be 10MM (about 3/8") away from the body.

If this is the problem it is an easy fix, and you should know right away if it worked.

You can find more on this by searching "Throttle Cable" on the MDX forums.

JJ

·
Registered
920 Posts
I placed some rolled up duct tape b/t the engine compartment and the bracket and it did the trick...no more noise!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Minor point...

You may feel the awesome power of the Honda motor that has VTEC technology, but unless you get it up to to around 4300 RPM you are not on the "VTEC lobes". ;) :D ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Minor point...

renov8r said:
You may feel the awesome power of the Honda motor that has VTEC technology, but unless you get it up to to around 4300 RPM you are not on the "VTEC lobes". ;) :D ;)
You're correct, sir! You do have to step on the gas a bit to get the V-TEC to kick in, but when it does...I think someone in here put it very nicely a while ago, "You get a s*hit eating grin on your face" :2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thread Drift - Minor I hope

renov8r said:
Just a note for the new owners - Please do NOT try out the VTEC power until you have at least 600 miles on your engine. While it probably won't destroy anything, it certainly won't do it any good.

JJ

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Thread Drift - Minor I hope

raleighpilot said:

Just a note for the new owners - Please do NOT try out the VTEC power until you have at least 600 miles on your engine. While it probably won't destroy anything, it certainly won't do it any good.

JJ
Most manufacturers will caution about sustained high RPM's during break-in. Occasional "bursts" are not harmful (reasonable - I'm not talking RED-LINE). The main thing on any new engine is to vary your engine speed RPM's - do not drone along on the super-slab for hours on end at the same engine speed.

YMMV

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2K to 3K engine buzz/noise

Dear All,

Thank you for the the information. I will set out to review the problem when I get home this evening. Will come back to the forum and let you know the result.

Minor point: I did know about the cross over point to VTEC, it does make you smile. Its around 5500RPM right? Anyway I love this thing, hopefully I will get this issue sorted.

Minor point: I did not use cruise control for the first 1500 miles, varied the speed and broke the engine in properly....I hope!

Later.....

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: The 2K to 3K engine buzz/noise

VirginRi said:
Dear All,

Thank you for the the information. I will set out to review the problem when I get home this evening. Will come back to the forum and let you know the result.

Minor point: I did know about the cross over point to VTEC, it does make you smile. Its around 5500RPM right? Anyway I love this thing, hopefully I will get this issue sorted.

Minor point: I did not use cruise control for the first 1500 miles, varied the speed and broke the engine in properly....I hope!

Later.....
Your engine should be broken in very nicely by now then. Oh, and yeah, please let us know how you make out with that throttle cable bracket trick. Oh, and another thing, the V-TEC kick in point is @4300RPM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed the 2-3000 RPM Rattle

Dear All,

Finally took the Pilot in for the 5K oil change. At the same time I told them about the problem I posted. I must confess the dealership told me that all the sounds were normal and treated me as if I did not know what I was talking about. Very disappointing from a dealership that was all 5's in my book. I guess its after the sale now!!!. Anyway I did not accept the response. I came to this site, printed out the comments from Raleigh Pilot. Faxed them back to the dealership..............Guess what, they followed the instructions and WOW the noise is gone. The tech writer said he is going to keep this web-site book marked. Can't believe that:
1. They did not know about the site.
2. About the rattle and the fix.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> STILL LOVING THIS THING, Especially since its quiet again............!

Jim:yodaddy: Listen to your customer!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts