Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 EXL AWD Gray ext Black int
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 EXL AWD with ~120K miles. Yesterday the vehicle engine started while my wife was outside the car locking it. She had driven about 10 minutes, parked, and hit the lock button twice accidentally. She then unlocked it and hit the lock button once. Then the engine started. No key, no one in vehicle. She then unlocked with the fob, placed key in ignition and turned to on position and then off but the car still ran. She took the key out and was thinking about what to do next. Then, it shut off (no key in ignition, no buttons pushed on fob). She put the key in and started it and then shut it off, with everything operating just fine.

I've owned the vehicle for two years, second owner, very good carfax and I independently verified the big maintenance. It appears that no corrective maintenance has ever been required (except new battery in 2018). I replaced both key fob batteries when I bought it and everything looked normal inside. I have no evidence of any remote start ever being installed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,159 Posts
Take some photos of the wiring under the steering column and the fuse box by the emergency brake and post them on here. Something isn’t adding up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're telling me. Makes you wonder about the demobilizer feature. I'll get some photos late tonight or early tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The wiring in this area doesn’t look stock. What does it connect to? I was actually surprised there wasn’t a birds nest of wire taps in that area.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It appears that I missed it - there is a remote starter system tucked way up in there. It is really hard for me to bend around far enough to see up there. It appears to be from Compustar, and they are not forthcoming with their manuals as they only want dealers installing them. I'm going to try to rip it out myself. Wish me luck. Thanks so much for finding this for me. I feel pretty silly for not figuring it out, I don't even think about remote starters and I thought I looked the vehicle over pretty well before purchase.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
It appears that I missed it - there is a remote starter system tucked way up in there. It is really hard for me to bend around far enough to see up there. It appears to be from Compustar, and they are not forthcoming with their manuals as they only want dealers installing them. I'm going to try to rip it out myself. Wish me luck. Thanks so much for finding this for me. I feel pretty silly for not figuring it out, I don't even think about remote starters and I thought I looked the vehicle over pretty well before purchase.
They tucked that in there pretty good so easy to miss. The blue and white twisted pair wire kinda gave it away. When you do the removal, disconnect the battery positive before starting. Take photos for each step of the process in case you end up having to put the system back in. Good luck with this.

I wish I had photos to share of the Karr alarm systems which were installed on my Pilot and Tacoma before I carefully removed them. I’m pretty sure unskilled labor was involved during installation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why not just keep the remote start?
Trying to remove the custom wiring might introduce its own set of issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just keep the remote start?
Trying to remove the custom wiring might introduce its own set of issues.
I guess I have several reasons:
I didn't know how it worked and couldn't recreate the conditions under which it started and nobody even knows why it eventually turned off. I do not have the remote that was supposed to come with it. If you can't control it the device is a hazard.
I actively do not want that capability.
I don't want that thing connected to my factory wiring in any way.

I have now removed the device and have tested everything I could think of with good results. There some wires spliced into my wiring in the steering column but nothing was completely cut and rerouted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts