Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has this problem. When I braked my Pilot hard enough to try to make a turn, the engine stalled. It happened twice this week already. I was able to start the engine right away but just don't understand why.
Does it have anything to do with the mileage is going to be 15K to do the 2nd service (1st was at 7.5K) and the engine oil is not clean?
Will that be the idling was set too low ?
The weather condition was rather dry and it was not raining. Temperature was around 65 (I am in southern CA) and the vehicle has been running for over 15 minutes.
Any idea will be appreciated?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
That's something I never heard happening with the Pilot at all. That should not happen for any reason whatsoever, even if you have dirty oil. That's just bizzarre. Call up the dealer and see what they say.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This is new. Has your Pilot been in for the water pump recall?

This should never happen..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine stalled

gopilot, I checked the water pump recall on my Pilot months ago and it was not on the list. I checked the recalls again in www.ahm-ownerlink.com to make sure and again mine was not on the any recalls. It is close to the 15K service and I will ask the dealer for a reason. Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just an FYI for you, bumblej...

I checked the Ownerlink website when the water pump recall first was issued and that site NEVER said my Pilot was included, when it actually was!
You might want to have it looked at anyway.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your problem! That is definitely a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did my 15K service and asked the dealer to look at the engine stalled problem at the same time. I also asked the service advisor to make sure the water pump issue does not apply to my Pilot and the result is not. They used a handheld computer to do the diagnostic and didn't find any problem with the engine. The dealer already let Honda know about this problem. The service advisor said that there could be different reasons for this to happen and electrical circuit could be one of them. The reason why I asked about electrical circuit is that I have Fry's electronic installed an aftermarket DVD/RES in my Pilot back in Jan 2003. This is the only non-factory product about electrical circuit that may cause the problem. However the DVD/RES was not turned on when the engine stalled. Does anyone know whether the DVD/RES will actually cause the problem ?

·
Registered
288 Posts
bumblej said:
The reason why I asked about electrical circuit is that I have Fry's electronic installed an aftermarket DVD/RES in my Pilot back in Jan 2003. This is the only non-factory product about electrical circuit that may cause the problem. However the DVD/RES was not turned on when the engine stalled. Does anyone know whether the DVD/RES will actually cause the problem ?
I worked in the electronics industry for a while, specificly doing car stereo installation. Most likely this DVD/RES install would not cause your vehicle to stall, that is if it were done correctly. If the install was not done carefully and correctly you could have problems, but stalling your car is very serious and they would have had to do quite a botched job. See what Honda and your dealer determine and also talk to Fry's about their install, we always stood behind all of our work and would be more than willing to explain to a customer exactly what we did and how we did it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could it be that the auto downshift when you slow for the turns is causing the idle to go so low that it stalls?

·
Registered
725 Posts
An Idea

How much fuel did you have in your gas tank????

I wonder, if you have a small amount of gas in the tank, if braking hard could cause the fuel pump to suck a small bit of air into the tank, thus causing enough of a blast of air into the engine to disrupt combustion????

I dunno, just a thought.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
5 Posts
This one is eery for me. I had this exact same problem on my 1998 Jaguar xj8l. The car would just stall during deceleration for no reason. At first it only happened once a month but increased to twice a week. I took it to the dealer 3 times. Various things were replaced, but the problem persisted. Finally after reading through TSB's I found an interesting one. Jaguar had a TSB requiring all servicers with clients complaining of rough idle or driveability problems to perform a throttlebody cleaning and breather inspection/ unplugging. I performed this procedure and the problem went away. What was happening was this: This car had a throttlebody with one main throttle plate and an idle bypass circuit. The idle circuit bypassed air around the throttle plate through a spool valve allowing for precise control of the idle speed. During idle, the throttle plate goes all the way shut and the idle air circuit keeps the motor running. Well after some mileage, the throttlebody suffers from oil coking caused by a faulty breather system. Jaguar noted this could cause sticking throttle plates. I realized it could clog the idle air circuit. Here's a link to the discussion:<a href="http://www.motorcars-ltd.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000016.html" target="_blank">www.motorcarsltd.com xj8 forum</a>There are other possibilities also. When your are turning sharply, load on the power steering pump is large. Combine that with a lower than usual idle. You said you had something installed recently. If the battery was disconnected. It may take the PCM 2-300 miles to re-learn its optimum settings. I don't know man, but if you think you're flustered now, wait til it happens at 75mph while decelerating from passing a semi on a 4 lane interstate! Let's talk about FIX MY DAMN CAR MAN!!!:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
This one is eery for me. I had this exact same problem on my 1998 Jaguar xj8l. The car would just stall during deceleration for no reason. At first it only happened once a month but increased to twice a week. I took it to the dealer 3 times. Various things were replaced, but the problem persisted. Finally after reading through TSB's I found an interesting one. Jaguar had a TSB requiring all servicers with clients complaining of rough idle or driveability problems to perform a throttlebody cleaning and breather inspection/ unplugging. I performed this procedure and the problem went away. What was happening was this: This car had a throttlebody with one main throttle plate and an idle bypass circuit. The idle circuit bypassed air around the throttle plate through a spool valve allowing for precise control of the idle speed. During idle, the throttle plate goes all the way shut and the idle air circuit keeps the motor running. Well after some mileage, the throttlebody suffers from oil coking caused by a faulty breather system. Jaguar noted this could cause sticking throttle plates. I realized it could clog the idle air circuit. Here's a link to the discussion:<a href="http://www.motorcars-ltd.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000016.html" target="_blank">www.motorcarsltd.com xj8 forum</a>There are other possibilities also. When your are turning sharply, load on the power steering pump is large. Combine that with a lower than usual idle. You said you had something installed recently. If the battery was disconnected. It may take the PCM 2-300 miles to re-learn its optimum settings. I don't know man, but if you think you're flustered now, wait til it happens at 75mph while decelerating from passing a semi on a 4 lane interstate! Let's talk about FIX MY DAMN CAR MAN!!!:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts