Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Pilot AWD-Touring with J37A4-swapped engine
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All-

Wife's 2014 AWD Touring just had the timing belt go at 110k miles. I followed maintenance minder religiously and had just changed the belt on schedule (as well as water pump, tensioner, idler, etc) a few thousand miles ago with all OEM parts. Very disappointing, but she loves the car and wants me to resuscitate it.

Instructions on the swap are hard to come by online. The only step-by-step videos I could find showed a technique of drilling out the spot welds on the upper crossmember and pulling the engine out the top. I actually don't have an engine hoist, though I do have an E-Z lift (lifts the body up about 26"). This leads me to believe that perhaps dropping the subframe with the engine/transmission sitting upon it would be the preferred method?

If anyone could point me towards a DIY video or step-by-step, it would be most welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

-Jon

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
They put the engine in by lowering the body on to the drivetrain.
So your idea isn’t crazy. Perhaps a bit more work, but doable

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
There's a link to a PDF of the factory service manual, listed here in the last few weeks. It includes all you'll need for the task. Manual for 2012, works for the while series.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I question if 26" is high enough. Plus you got to lift it off the gorund eventually. I'd get a hoist and drill the spot welds out of the radiator core support. You can lighten the load and make it easier to handle by removing the heads.
Added: Removing the heads may make it narrow enough to lift out without drilling welds. But the same going back in.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
Do I understand this correctly, you had the timing belt et al changed yet the new one failed? Isn't there a 12 month 12K mileage warranty on that?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
This sucks to hear! These transverse-engined vehicles are usually designed to have the front subframe unbolted, everything disconnected and the unibody lifted away from the subframe assembly (which holds the engine). I don't think 26" is enough for you to get it out from under the vehicle personally but if you do some items like pulling the intake and maybes the valve cover and the heads might get you enough clearance. Good luck.

Do I understand this correctly, you had the timing belt et al changed yet the new one failed? Isn't there a 12 month 12K mileage warranty on that?
So at best the timing belt will be free...

·
Registered
Pilot 2012 EX
23 Posts
Remove the heads, replace the bent valves , problably the intakes are bent part num.14711-RYE-A00 ,
Check the exhaust valves part numb 14721-RNO-A00 , Or 14721-P8E-A00, Those exhaust valve are very expensive, Intake stem seals and exhaust stem seal
12210-PZ1-004 .and 12211-PZ1-004 ,12of each take your time

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Remove the heads, replace the bent valves , problably the intakes are bent part num.14711-RYE-A00 ,
Check the exhaust valves part numb 14721-RNO-A00 , Or 14721-P8E-A00, Those exhaust valve are very expensive, Intake stem seals and exhaust stem seal
12210-PZ1-004 .and 12211-PZ1-004 ,12of each take your time
Good info and not a bad suggestion... if none of the pistons are damaged I can't imagine a connecting rod bent instead of a valve... after the heads are off some simple measurements of each cylinder will tell you if any of the rods are bent.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
When the belt snaps or jumps, the pistons barely kiss the fully-open valves, bending the heads of he valves. The rods are strong enough to survive. I suspect that Honda leaves the engine in the car when they replace pistons with VCM damage; head comes off in the car, sump comes off he bottom for rod cap access.

Do a little leakdown testing to see which cylinders actually have leak-by. String the belt, rotate each cylinder to TDC compression (use the valve adjustment procedure to get each one to its own TDC...). Anyway, a little (low pressure) compressed air in the plug hole will tell you immediately if any valves are bent for that cylinder. You'll hear the air passing from the intake or the exhaust with a whistling sound.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
244 Posts
So at best the timing belt will be free...
[/QUOTE]

If he followed the recommended maintenance and had the T-belt changed when he was supposed to, why would only the belt be free? Had that warranted part not failed, there would not be additional engine damage. I'd be all over that service department/dealership owner/Honda like a cheap shirt

·
Registered
Pilot 2012 EX
23 Posts
When the belt snaps or jumps, the pistons barely kiss the fully-open valves, bending the heads of he valves. The rods are strong enough to survive. I suspect that Honda leaves the engine in the car when they replace pistons with VCM damage; head comes off in the car, sump comes off he bottom for rod cap access.

Do a little leakdown testing to see which cylinders actually have leak-by. String the belt, rotate each cylinder to TDC compression (use the valve adjustment procedure to get each one to its own TDC...). Anyway, a little (low pressure) compressed air in the plug hole will tell you immediately if any valves are bent for that cylinder. You'll hear the air passing from the intake or the exhaust with a whistling sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
Pilot 2012 EX
23 Posts
You are correct dr. Bob; pistons barely kiss the fully-open valves ; bending the heads of he valves. number one cylinder and 6 cylinder; now lets hope exhaust valves survived ......

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
I'm not sure you do or I do. The OP stated, "I followed maintenance minder religiously and had just changed the belt on schedule (as well as water pump, tensioner, idler, etc) a few thousand miles ago with all OEM parts." If he had it done then yes, if the OP did the work themself then proving that it was the part that failed and not a problem with the installation could be an issue.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I'm not sure you do or I do. The OP stated, "I followed maintenance minder religiously and had just changed the belt on schedule (as well as water pump, tensioner, idler, etc) a few thousand miles ago with all OEM parts." If he had it done then yes, if the OP did the work themself then proving that it was the part that failed and not a problem with the installation could be an issue.
That's exactly what I was thinking and I was under the assumption he did the work himself. If it was done at a dealer the conversation would be much easier for sure.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, I did the work myself, so no dealer to go back and and complain to. In retrospect, I'm now realizing that what I "saved" in labor was actually a form of insurance payment... being able to hold someone else accountable for the work when something goes unexpectedly awry. In any case, though the "simple" solution may have just been to yank the heads off and leave the engine in the car, then rebuild or replace them, I've decided to have a little more fun. See J37A4 swap post in the "Performance" section... :)

-Jon

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Yup, I did the work myself, so no dealer to go back and and complain to. In retrospect, I'm now realizing that what I "saved" in labor was actually a form of insurance payment... being able to hold someone else accountable for the work when something goes unexpectedly awry. In any case, though the "simple" solution may have just been to yank the heads off and leave the engine in the car, then rebuild or replace them, I've decided to have a little more fun. See J37A4 swap post in the "Performance" section... :)

-Jon
How much did the OEM kit cost you ?.. Just an example parts from rockauto are not OEM they are made to OEM spec but they are again NOT OEM . I fail to see actual HONDA OEM parts fail only a few thousands in .. some of us are on our third timing belt kits so it's very hard to believe Honda OEM parts were actually used here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much did the OEM kit cost you ?.. Just an example parts from rockauto are not OEM they are made to OEM spec but they are again NOT OEM . I fail to see actual HONDA OEM parts fail only a few thousands in .. some of us are on our third timing belt kits so it's very hard to believe Honda OEM parts were actually used here.
I don’t recall exactly the cost. Bought through eBay and it all sure looked OEM... reputable seller. Good fakes, if that’s what they were. Maybe I got ripped off.

Long done crying over that spilled milk now, in any event. Onward and upward!

-Jon

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I don’t recall exactly the cost. Bought through eBay and it all sure looked OEM... reputable seller. Good fakes, if that’s what they were. Maybe I got ripped off.

Long done crying over that spilled milk now, in any event. Onward and upward!

-Jon
Well .. that's always a positive way of looking into it I hope you can get this up and running quickly ....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts