Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So were on another roadtrip in our 04 w 185k. Flawless pilot.
On this roadtrip there is now a persistent engine pulley or pump wearing kind of sound.

Kinda metallic. Only when engine is running. Louder at start then quiets down.
I pulled the ps pump belt loose to see if the pump was going bad. No change on sound.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
If it's a whining sound that matches RPMs, your alternator is about to give up the ghost. Better you change it at your convenience than its.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my worry. How long do they last once they make this noise?
Can I drive another 12 hours?

Change it when I get home?

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
If you read my cautionary tale, I ignored it for several weeks, maybe a couple of months, but then it crapped out on me at a very inconvenient and embarrassing time, on an outing with friends and caught in the rain.

First signs were subtle poltergeist-like effects as the electrical system was slowly but surely shuffling off this mortal coil, running on inexorably diminishing battery power. So try to keep aware of that. 12 hours? Perhaps, maybe even likely. Do you feel lucky? :)

I now have put a little cigarette lighter combination USB phone charger / voltmeter in my Pilot and my daughters, and taught her the numbers to look for: roughly slightly over 14 volts when running, over 12 volts when just on accessories without the engine running. Maybe you can find one at a boonies auto parts store or Walmart?

2.93US $ 2% OFF|kebidumei 2 Colors Dual USB 4 in 1 Car Charger Adapter Socket For Phone Tablet PC With Blue Red LED Display|usb charger socket|usb socket carcar charger dual socket - AliExpress

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
277 Posts
do you have any idea how many bearings are spinning around under your hood? any one or several or all of them are probably getting ready to fail.
for me, the main source of noise was the timing pulley bearings and water pump bearing. also replaced all the serpentine belt pulleys shortly after my alternator burned out and needed replacing

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... Turns out it was the AC compressor. I bought an alternator and belt and played my chances that whatever pulley was giving me problems would make it the 11 hour car ride home. It wasn't too loud and changing an alternator isn't horrible, I carry a full tool kit.
But the belt shredded about 4.5 hours away from home. Luckily I was close to a parts store where I could drive on the battery alone. The compressor pulley doesn't spin & it looks like it's not aligned with the rest of the belt anymore. Luckily I was able to get a shorter belt on and route it a different way. Didn't fit perfect, but it was enough to keep my alternator spinning for the last 4.5 hours home.
Now onto researching compressors & clutches... Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
Wow, keep us posted. Glad you made it home relatively unscathed. Good to have toolz 'n' skillz when you're out on the road.

You didn't by any chance catch a whiff of a small puff of white smoke or see one at some point? That can sometimes be an indication of an A/C compressor giving up the ghost, as it were.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did get a puff of white smoke. Not sure if it was from the belt smoking or the compressor. Everything on the car was driving fine, then we stopped for gas. It was slow to start, then it smoked out from under the engine. Checked the hood and the belt was shredded. Let's hope that's a good solid diagnosis and I can get it fixed asap!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts