Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Pilots,
I have just bought my black exl yesterday but I have been following your postings for awhile. I have two questions.
1- In the old days (5 - 10 years ago) when you buy a brand new car you need to drive it with a high rpm to make your vehicle's engine strong and fast. I was wondering if I need to do the same thing with my new engine or how I should drive for the first couple of 1000 miles?
2- When I am driving the car it feels like the car does not accelerate quickly enough, although I am pushing the pedal almost half way. It catches the speed after couple of seconds. Is this normal?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Break-in

I think there are more different myths and legends for engine break-in than there are tribal rain dances.

With about the same results!

:2: :2: :2: :2:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Break-in

N_Jay said:
I think there are more different myths and legends for engine break-in than there are tribal rain dances.

With about the same results!

:2: :2: :2: :2:
Great response!!! (I was trying to come up with a "nice" response too - but everything I thought of seemed a bit harsh.)

There have been old wives tales and such for as long as I can remember about "break it in the way you plan to drive it". I for one, feel the single best thing you can do for any new engine is to vary the rpms for the first 500-1,000 miles. Never drive at a steady speed (steady RPM) for an extended period.

YMMV

rod

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I was told not to even think about gas mileage for the first 500 -1000, and break her in at all speeds. So that's what I'm doing, and we're only getting 15.5 MPG (mostly in town driving)

As for the accelerator...Pilot is a pretty heavy thing (4,500lbs), but I find the acceleration is great! *0-60 in 8.1 per car&driver mag* You will need alot of accelerator in this vehicle anyway, even on the highway to maintain speed.

A thread was just posted recently about the "grade logic system" that explains this. I'm just getting used to it now after 1,000 miles, and really liking it now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Gas Peddle-Engine Response

I learned this from a Honda technician.

The Engine Control Module is set for a baseline performance, but after a person has the PILOT for a while (break-in period) the ECM is actually a "learning" system and it will eventually adapt to the person's individual driving style. The ECM will continuously adapt to your driving style - so it's not like it learns one way of engine managment then stays that way.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Learn something new everyday!
I haven't heard any of this.
If I drive like a granny...will I have a wimpy Pilot?

Is there more info on this subject in the manual? Very interesting.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Gas Peddle-Engine Response

PILOTinginCO said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

...the ECM is actually a "learning" system and it will eventually adapt to the person's individual driving style. The ECM will continuously adapt to your driving style...

[ S N I P P E D ]

Let's have some fun and get Hertz and Avis to rent Pilots out at the Airport and see how well the ECM adapts to the different drivers each day/week...!!! :2: :p

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Gas Peddle-Engine Response

PILOTinginCO said:
I learned this from a Honda technician.

The Engine Control Module is set for a baseline performance, but after a person has the PILOT for a while (break-in period) the ECM is actually a "learning" system and it will eventually adapt to the person's individual driving style. The ECM will continuously adapt to your driving style - so it's not like it learns one way of engine managment then stays that way.

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
I'm betting the learning is actually the ECM learning the uniqunesses of teh engine and sensors rather than learning "your" driving style.
If anything I would think the opposit might occur.
If you regularly push the engine closee to the limits, the ECU will make changes to keep opperationcloser to the programmed "norm".

Would be an interesting experiment!:2: :2:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Spoken like Arnold Schwartzenegger:
"My CPU is a neural net processor. A learning computer. The more contact I have with humans, the more I learn."
Before we had computer controlled engines, most cars were tuned to get the best mileage at 45mph - that way they would still get pretty good mileage at 35 (in town) and at 55 (on the highway).
Now we have an ECU which will adjust for driving habits and average speed - pretty neat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Drive it like your Prom Date's Dad is chasing you for bringing her home past her curfew!!! :3: :25: :25: :25: :25:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts