Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever replaced an engine oil cooler? Mechanic put a note on the bill that it needs replacing. Two separate things come up when I do a search for that.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
What was the reason for the suggested replacement? I can’t recall any threads on the forum regarding the engine oil cooler. There have been posts for the power steering cooler and external tranny coolers (I believe both are required when towing with the Pilot).

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am pretty sure that these J35 engines do not have a separate engine oil cooler - never seen it and I checked service manual and parts diagrams.

Do you think he is talking about the ATF cooler (piece of tubing really) that cools the transmission fluid?

You might want to ask for clarification.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't sure and the Mech couldn't remember. All I could think it might be is the O-Ring gasket on the oil filter housing. Or the housing itself, it may be referred to as the solenoid housing/gasket?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
These? Is your Pilot leaking oil?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes! Has to be one of those. I am thinking just replacing the seal, housing should still be ok I think. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Yes, housing should be ok. Are you going to DIY? There are many videos on how to. The bolts will need to be tightened to the proper specifications.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
You have a set of VVT solenoids on both sides of your engine. Each entire unit splits apart to expose another gasket. Make sure you get the correct set of gaskets if your vehicle is 2 wheel drive or All Wheel Drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a set of VVT solenoids on both sides of your engine. Each entire unit splits apart to expose another gasket. Make sure you get the correct set of gaskets if your vehicle is 2 wheel drive or All Wheel Drive.
Yes, I plan to DIY, first time doing so, so I am excited and cautious. I have a 4WD. Been watching some videos, seems pretty straightforward, but I dont believe in straightforward like that, lol. Do you know where I can look up the torque specs?
I dont think I noticed that in the manual.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Yes, I plan to DIY, first time doing so, so I am excited and cautious. I have a 4WD. Been watching some videos, seems pretty straightforward, but I dont believe in straightforward like that, lol. Do you know where I can look up the torque specs?
I dont think I noticed that in the manual.
2 short bolts are at 106 inlbs and the long one is at 110 inlbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts