Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So went to replace the timing due to the ticking noise but upon inspection the tensioner is fine/ belt is tight. Appears to have already been replaced, the tensioner isn't stock. Before we put it back together can I possibly be missing something

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
What type of noise had you thinking it was the Timing belt?

Could you possibly upload a short video clip w/ the noise? Maybe describe it?

Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
So went to replace the timing due to the ticking noise but upon inspection the tensioner is fine/ belt is tight. Appears to have already been replaced, the tensioner isn't stock. Before we put it back together can I possibly be missing something
Look closely at the tensioner where the shaft goes into the body. Mine was leaking hydraulic fluid from there. Very common issue. Yours maybe fine, just make sure you double check since it’s not always obvious.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Agree with reexamining tensioner. You say it isn't stock. Do you know what it is, exactly?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
Timing components are one of those areas where only genuine Honda parts should be used. There are high quality aftermarket parts manufactures that supply these parts to Honda, but you have to know which ones and there are lots of fakes out there these days. Those tensioners can cause lots of problems especially an aftermarket looking one. I'd sleep better if everything that comes into contact with my timing belt came from a Honda dealer's parts counter including the belt itself and the water pump.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Timing components are one of those areas where only genuine Honda parts should be used. There are high quality aftermarket parts manufactures that supply these parts to Honda, but you have to know which ones and there are lots of fakes out there these days. Those tensioners can cause lots of problems especially an aftermarket looking one. I'd sleep better if everything that comes into contact with my timing belt came from a Honda dealer's parts counter including the belt itself and the water pump.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I just wanted to add a data point. None of my Hondas have ever had a timing belt job done using Honda parts. I don't know what my mechanic uses, but he doesn't use their parts.

I'm only saying that so people know failures may be more likely if you go aftermarket but I have had good luck so far.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
I'm only saying that so people know failures may be more likely if you go aftermarket but I have had good luck so far.
I'm with you. I guess I meant for the home mechanic Honda owner. Your professional mechanic knows the good stuff in the aftermarket and avoids the overpriced dealer parts counter, but it's his business to know. I didn't mind overpaying at a Honda parts counter for parts for my past Hondas, but I didn't buy that many parts, either. If I bought large amounts of parts, it would be worth keeping up with who makes good aftermarket stuff and who doesn't, but I enjoy the zero risk of shopping genuine Honda parts. I'd be really nervous shopping for stuff on Ebay too. Lots of counterfeit stuff out there.

A Honda dealer will also have the "latest and greatest" revision of these hydraulic tensioners which seem to struggle to even not rattle before the scheduled belt change on some cars. You don't hear about them rattling as much as you used to, so maybe they are better now. This could very well be the OP's noise. It should be checked and double checked.

Reactions: Jack Vogt
1 - 7 of 7 Posts