Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried searching all over the internet for some answers but I have been unsuccessful. I have a 2003 Pilot with 251k miles (I know, a lot) and seemingly overnight it has developed a loud rattle/grinding noise when below 2500 rpm. At complete idle, there is no noise at all. And as soon as the engine hits 2600 rpm, the noise stops completely. The rattle/grind will get steadily louder all the way up until 2500 rpm and then stop like a switch was flipped. The sound seems to be coming from or around cylinder 1 (far left and back side of engine if you’re looking at it from the front of the vehicle), but it is difficult to pin point it exactly. The engine being hot or cold doesn’t effect this noise. The oil level of the engine was a little low but nothing crazy, topping off the oil did nothing. There is also no loss in power at any rpm while driving. I have no idea what it could be. I really hope this is not the beginnings of this engine giving out on me! Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upon further investigation I am about 90% positive it is the timing belt tensioner giving out and causing the belt to have a little slack. There is dark colored fluid dripping from the bottom of the belt cover. Seeing as this problem came up overnight, I’m sure it will get a lot worse if I continue to drive the vehicle. My main question now is, can the tensioner be replaced without replacing the belt and pump and pulleys and all that? I got this car as a cheap work horse and it has 251k miles so I’m not ready to dump $250 into a full water pump kit. I also don’t have the time for that project as I have another trip this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
have you looked into the power steering hose o-ring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced both the orings for the power steering pump with orings from the dealer about a month ago. It was making noise during cold starts in the morning. The new orings fixed that problem. This noise is much different than the noise the bad orings were making.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts