Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it sound bad to you? Phone mic make is a bit too dramatic in real life not that loud. But I cannot understand if its normal or bad. Bought it a week ago.

Valve job due? 54K miles 2016 Pilot.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Does it sound bad to you? Phone mic make is a bit too dramatic in real life not that loud. But I cannot understand if its normal or bad. Bought it a week ago.

Hopefully it's not this noise.

·
Registered
813 Posts
It sounds normal to me. I was startled at first when I heard the engine of the Pilot I test drove. It's weird how this engine sounds, but I guess It's because people say it's direct injected.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for answers folks. I was kind a worried about the sound. I thinking to switch to 0w-30 motul oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
813 Posts
I personally wouldn't change the oil to a different kind because Honda engineers chose that oil for a reason. I noticed a really faint squeak/ high pitched noise when my car was new and I'd just start it up, and it would go away after 45 seconds or so. Now I have 1,700 miles on my Pilot, and it only makes that noise for like 15 seconds. Either something is messed up on my car, or it somehow gets quieter after it gets a little older( I hope it's the second one lol). I'd keep the original oil until it's time to change it because it messes with the maintenance minder(unless you don't reset it), and why waste oil lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally wouldn't change the oil to a different kind because Honda engineers chose that oil for a reason. I noticed a really faint squeak/ high pitched noise when my car was new and I'd just start it up, and it would go away after 45 seconds or so. Now I have 1,700 miles on my Pilot, and it only makes that noise for like 15 seconds. Either something is messed up on my car, or it somehow gets quieter after it gets a little older( I hope it's the second one lol). I'd keep the original oil until it's time to change it because it messes with the maintenance minder(unless you don't reset it), and why waste oil lol.
In general its safe to go slightly up in viscosity (never go down!). 0-20 is pretty thin oil honda chose to slightly improve mpg.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,046 Posts
Nail Grasse: Please don't mix and match very different generations of the J35. The first VCM equipped 2006/FWD engines could have a nasty camshaft noise.

I've listened to the OP video... and cannot convince myself that we are hearing anything other than normal High pressure fuel injection system noises.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nail Grasse: Please don't mix and match very different generations of the J35. The first VCM equipped 2006/FWD engines could have a nasty camshaft noise.

I've listened to the OP video... and cannot convince myself that we are hearing anything other than normal High pressure fuel injection system noises.
Thank you for your reply. Feeling much better now. This Pilot is in fantastic shape but i was very concerned about this noise. Now i can concentrate on important stuff such as towing hitch, aft cooler and etc :)

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

I said hopefully. Vid was sent to compare.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

Sounds normal.
I'd disable the VCM if you haven't already.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds normal.
I'd disable the VCM if you haven't already.
I’ve heard about it once but haven’t dig into the details yet. Will google about it.

I am at a Honda dealer right now to get the car inspected (road trip with family tomorrow ) they also said it’s normal sound. My jeep was much quieter so I probably just concerned too much.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I’ve heard about it once but haven’t dig into the details yet. Will google about it.

I am at a Honda dealer right now to get the car inspected (road trip with family tomorrow ) they also said it’s normal sound. My jeep was much quieter so I probably just concerned too much.

The VCM these V6s are equipt with shut down cylinders while coasting or in cruise. This saves some fuel but its side effects make for dirty combustion chambers. That includes spark plugs, fuel injectors and valves. Engine oil burns and makes its way through open valves into your EGR, EGR pipe and Catalytic Converters clogging them. I use S-VCM. I've opted to use this device since I plan on keeping my 3 V6 Hondas as long as I can keep them going. When you have no warranty this preventative modification = less repair bills.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The VCM these V6s are equipt with shut down cylinders while coasting or in cruise. This saves some fuel but its side effects make for dirty combustion chambers. That includes spark plugs, fuel injectors and valves. Engine oil burns and makes its way through open valves into your EGR, EGR pipe and Catalytic Converters clogging them. I use S-VCM. I've opted to use this device since I plan on keeping my 3 V6 Hondas as long as I can keep them going. When you have no warranty this preventative modification = less repair bills.
Hey I had a question about the s vcm. Does it mess with the warranty at all? I’ll probably still occasionally get some services done at the dealer such as warranty work and tsb/ recall stuff. I’m planning to get the s vcm in about a year or so IF it doesn’t mess with the warranty at all.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Hey I had a question about the s vcm. Does it mess with the warranty at all? I’ll probably still occasionally get some services done at the dealer such as warranty work and tsb/ recall stuff. I’m planning to get the s vcm in about a year or so IF it doesn’t mess with the warranty at all.
I have no warranty, so I don't know. I think someone here could answer that.
It takes 5 minutes to install or remove.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have no warranty, so I don't know. I think someone here could answer that.
It takes 5 minutes to install or remove.
Ah. It’s fine. I thought I should ask you because you’re like the expert on this topic lol. I’ll probably just keep looking and if I don’t find anything about the warranty, I’ll just post a thread. I’m just worried about the warranty because someone else could be driving and if it breaks down, then they won’t know how to remove it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts