Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
Called it. :)

When my alternator went out, a trusted local mechanic replaced it the same day along with the battery. No need to overpay at the dealership.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Called it. :)
But, but.... sigh
A trusted mechanic said it was the PS pump (post #14).
Sure hope it's not the oil drip into the alternator. That's a double whammy. May need this 3 bolt vtec solenoid assembly too.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Interesting plot twist now. Had it towed to an independent shop in Orlando called Sloans automotive on the advice of my brother in law mechanic as he knew a guy there. Car was towed in and wouldn’t start. They hooked it up to an industrial battery charger and got the battery to recharge and then they couldn’t reproduce the issue. I had filmed the noise and showed them and my car definitely would not start. As I was 1k miles from home I had them change the alternator and they put on a new serpentine belt as well. Just under $700 and the car seems to be running well again.

It was strange though that after recharging the battery that the problem wouldn’t present itself again. They said that their didn’t appear to be any leaking.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Interesting plot twist now. Had it towed to an independent shop in Orlando called Sloans automotive on the advice of my brother in law mechanic as he knew a guy there. Car was towed in and wouldn’t start. They hooked it up to an industrial battery charger and got the battery to recharge and then they couldn’t reproduce the issue. I had filmed the noise and showed them and my car definitely would not start. As I was 1k miles from home I had them change the alternator and they put on a new serpentine belt as well. Just under $700 and the car seems to be running well again.

It was strange though that after recharging the battery that the problem wouldn’t present itself again. They said that their didn’t appear to be any leaking.
You have a nice new alternator, the vtec solenoid leak will eventually come, it's just a question of when.
Here is some info on the subject.

Reactions: thefisch

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
When my alternator got replaced, I asked the mechanic about signs of leaking from solenoid and they said they didn't see an active leak. This is what the area around the dipstick looked like before alternator replacement. Guess what - it was leaking and was replaced. If the mechanics aren't familiar with the solenoid issue, they may miss it. Best to take some photos and post if you want another opinion.
I got the bank 2 oil sensor code that prompted me to replace the (vtec) VVT Solenoid Assembly with Spool (201k). Oil was running into my alternator but I guess I caught it in time. Didn't replace the alternator until 251k.
Bought these Standard Motor Products on RockAuto. This engine now has logged 63k miles since this repair.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Nail is about as heavily invested in VTEC
solenoids as I am in AT-205.:p

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
A hundred buck (plus your labor) for a VTEC vs. twelve bucks for a bottle of AT-205 that'll likely take care of it? Looks like I'm the only true cheap bastard worthy of the title left around here. Revoke that man's membership card and the privileges that come with it. :p

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
A hundred buck (plus your labor) for a VTEC vs. twelve bucks for a bottle of AT-205 that'll likely take care of it? Looks like I'm the only true cheap bastard worthy of the title left around here. Revoke that man's membership card and the privileges that come with it. :p
Hey! It wasn't just an oil leak, I did have an engine code to solve. 😅
The valve cover gaskets needed replacing too, so I dug in.

Couldn't really take a chance on AT-205 to save my alternator. 🤔

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
OK, you're off the hook. This time.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts