Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping you all can give me some guidance on this fellas please so here it goes:
Bought my 2009 Pilot Touring 2WD NEW in October 2008
Around Spring 2013 got the TSB 13-082 (engine misfire/piston alignment) done on cylinder 4 and covered under the warranty/settlement
Since ownership I have taken care of the Pilot like no one else to the point where people ask me if it's really a 2009 model. Followed the maintenance manual verbatim and take it to Honda for service and oil changes.
Last night my wife got the flashing check engine light and turns out I have P0301 code.
Did some research and the settlement extends the warranty 8 years after purchase date which puts me outside.
We absolutely love our Pilot and now I fear that Honda will not fix this even though they knew about the issue a long time ago. I have an appointment scheduled tomorrow but fear that they will come back with "you're out of warranty, you will have to pay for the diagnostic and repair" statement.
Any tips on how to go about them fixing it? Someone I can email/call convince? I wish this particular cylinder would have given out years ago so that it could have been fixed.... any and all advice on how to proceed would be appreciated it fellas. I currently have 126K miles on it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
You can ask for "goodwill" from them to see if American Honda will cover it even though you are past the 8 year warranty extension. They might, or they might offer half, or nothing.

Odd they would only change the piston ring on cyl 4. The TSB specifically states if you get misfire on 1-3, you replace rings on 1-3. If there is a misfire on cyl 4, you get rings on 1-4. If you have documentation that they only serviced the piston ring on cyl 4, you might have recourse.

When were your spark plugs last changed? The TSB should have changed 1-4. What I would do is get yourself a VCM disabling device to stop the damage, change the spark plugs, and get a blackstone oil analysis done. Then track your oil consumption over the next oil change period, and have a second oil analysis done after the maintenance minder triggers or try to change it at the same oil mileage as your initial blackstone test. You can get an idea of the condition of your engine, and make an educated decision on keeping it or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great advice from boom above.

Have you read through this post yet? How bad is this engine ring/VCM/lawsuit issue, really? It's a pretty good place to start to educate yourself in more detail about everyone's issues with P030X as related to the settlement, extended warranty, known ring issues, etc.

There is good and bad news for you. Good news is that since you already brought this up to Honda and even had some repairs that are highly likely related to the ring blow-by issue, Honda will likely still provide you some assistance. Bad news is that it sounds like most people (like you and I) that are out of the 8 year warranty will likely have to cover some of the cost of the repairs out of pocket. Other people that have been in our situation have claimed to have paid about $600-$700 for the repair work. Make sure you take the car to Honda with the CEL on and mis-firing. it's the only way they will do anything for you.

Also, between us, if you throw new plugs in the car it will very likley run just fine again. But definitely don't do that until Honda looks at the car. Or, if you need to drive for sometime before Honda sees the car, replace the number 1 plug with a new one and keep the fouled one. Then just throw it back in before your appointment to recreate the misfire situation. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you fellas for the quick replies... I did some digging and I actually had this issue addressed by my local Honda dealer in January 2014 for P0301 (the same issue now) and all they did back then was change spark plugs 1-4, update PCM software and "cleaned out" some oil in cylinder. So do I have a stronger case/point to latch on because it is the exact same cylinder they worked on previously and same error code (p0301) ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thank you fellas for the quick replies... I did some digging and I actually had this issue addressed by my local Honda dealer in January 2014 for P0301 (the same issue now) and all they did back then was change spark plugs 1-4, update PCM software and "cleaned out" some oil in cylinder. So do I have a stronger case/point to latch on because it is the exact same cylinder they worked on previously and same error code (p0301) ?
Thats step 1 in the TSB. They do that first, then if it comes back, they do the second step, which is piston rings. Here is the current TSB:

You had the first part done while the extended warranty was in force, however, that doesn't mean the warranty carries over forever after that waiting for the second half of the TSB to manifest. All you can do is go in well informed, explain that you were impacted while under warranty but their "fix" did not address the issue, and ask for goodwill. If you are only throwing P0301, its rings 1-3 and new plugs on 1-4.

It took 6 years (2014-2020) for you to throw another code after their initial repair.... if I could not get new rings for free, then I'd just disable VCM with the add-in devices to stop any further damage, install 6 new plugs, and drive it. In fact, that's exactly what I did with mine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
How do I do that? What tools/steps does it involve?
The stickies at the top cover this subject.... its a lot of reading. There are competing products:

S-VCM
VCMTuner II
VCMuzzler II

In my opinion, you should choose between the S-VCM and the VCMTuner II. They are more advanced that simple resistor models. Lots of people own each different one here and most people are happy with whatever they bought. I use the original VCMTuner which is nowhere near as advanced as the newer ones out, but it's been great for my Pilot and my father's Odyssey. The most complete and advanced one available today (in my opinion) is the VCMTunerII.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Let us know what the dealer says. Hopefully since you previously had the issue while the extended warranty period was in effect, they will still cover step 2. But I agree that if they don't cover it, then you could just change the plugs, disable VCM and keep on chugging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m scheduled to have a friend of mine tow it to them tomorrow as it barely has power and chuckles
Just being proactive would anyone have an email for point of contact for a higher up within Honda or south Texas zone director/manager?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would call Honda corporate but they won't do anything until dealer diagnoses the issue and doesn't resolve to your satisfaction. Corporate granted me a goodwill discount on front struts a while back.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would call Honda corporate but they won't do anything until dealer diagnoses the issue and doesn't resolve to your satisfaction. Corporate granted me a goodwill discount on front struts a while back.
Do you have their number or email?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I’m scheduled to have a friend of mine tow it to them tomorrow as it barely has power and chuckles
Just being proactive would anyone have an email for point of contact for a higher up within Honda or south Texas zone director/manager?
Wow... that's not good. That doesn't sound like a simple erratic cylinder misfire. Who pulled your codes? Were there other codes? To go from running great to not even driveable overnight sounds like something else is going on, or a spark plug really failed badly. That needs a proper diagnosis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow... that's not good. That doesn't sound like a simple erratic cylinder misfire. Who pulled your codes? Were there other codes? To go from running great to not even driveable overnight sounds like something else is going on, or a spark plug really failed badly. That needs a proper diagnosis.
Both Oreilly's and AutoZone and then a co-worker who has a computer pulled those codes along with ECM/Power Train Control Module Relation Malfunction (83-1)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts