Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 Honda Pilot - Several months ago my dash lit up with all the lights, VTM-4, VSA, Check engine and Check emissions. I totally freaked and went to my dealer that I have been using for all repairs for 9 years and was told this: plug 2 was fouled due to oil on plug; need to replace plugs in cyl 1-4 and do software update for $500. I just replaced all plugs 20k miles prior. I asked for help from Honda and was denied. Then I tried using my lifetime powertrain warranty which is useless with all the stipulations they use. The truck was parked for many months and I finally decided to trade it as is. Taking a huge loss on the engine issue I seeked a 2nd opinion. The other dealer informed me of what was going on with the VCM and to replace the plug in 2 and the mechanic told me about the muzzler 2. So I have replaced plug in cyl 2 and did the software update. At this point I am not trading it because it has 147k miles and should drive many more. Any suggestions on the muzzler? I found a VCM muzzler II on ebay and it seems straight forward. I will attempt to do this myself so any helpful tips will be appreciated. (Single Mom) Sorry for all the details above but if someone else like me sees this they might relate. Needless to say I will not go back to the dealer I used for 9 years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Muzzler works (highly recommend) and, BTW, the original seller is active and available on this website. If it's running OK now, keeping the oil/filter changed and being sure (as possible) to take it to an honest, dependable technician if/when it needs additional maintenance is important. At 147 thousand and if in reasonably good condition, the possibility of going to 300 isn't unrealistic. The 2011 IS a very good Pilot.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Which lifetime powertrain warranty do you have? Fidelity? Mine is Fidelity and it covered my misfire issue including the software update, but not the spark plug part cost. My 2010 was no longer covered by the extended warranty from Honda for this issue.

Without warranty coverage, I agree on changing plug and installing muzzler which would make the software update not necessary saving you some money. I went with the VCMTuner2 but they all do the same basic thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which lifetime powertrain warranty do you have? Fidelity? Mine is Fidelity and it covered my misfire issue including the software update, but not the spark plug part cost. My 2010 was no longer covered by the extended warranty from Honda for this issue.

Without warranty coverage, I agree on changing plug and installing muzzler which would make the software update not necessary saving you some money. I went with the VCMTuner2 but they all do the same basic thing.
The warranty is by "Warranty Automotive Services Corp". Apparently the dealer changed providers after my purchase. The powertrain warranty was denied due to untimely brake fluid exchange. They require every 3 years but since I have another vehicle it was longer. So basically the dealer wouldn't help, Honda didn't help which I'm sure it was the class action lawsuit that started all this. Told me my extension expired 11 months prior to my plug problem. I have learned so much more about my problem with these discussions and talking to the other mechanic where I got my 2nd opinion. That's where I heard about the muzzler. I'm planning to drive this until my last child gets out of college hopefully by 2-3 years. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wow that is some BS to deny powertrain coverage for untimely brake fluid service. Brakes are not covered by the powertrain warranty. That is like denying coverage because you didn't rotate your tires.

I wonder if your dealer is giving you some BS about the powertrain warranty. Did you call the warranty company yourself? One time my dealer told me that Fidelity denied a claim for something saying it was not a listed components - so I called Fideility myself, questioned the denial and they approved the service. Sometimes I don't think these service advisors try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did call the warranty to insure the dealer did call them and I had them give me the reasons of denials.
1) The records did not show the air filter changes at the required times ( I did those myself do you know how much the dealer charges for those?) Which many times the service dept showed I needed to change it but I had done it prior to service call just shows they don't check it really.
2) The brakes were to be serviced every 3 years and I missed one by 6 months.
3) Tire rotations (which I did not use the dealer for this?)
There were many loopholes in the records and my service department did not try to back me up. Really disappointed in their loyalty to the customer after I had been loyal to them. Not to mention Honda not helping out since they were aware of the problem. Go figure right?
I did change the plug in cylinder 2 and now putting a VCMmuzzler on it. Hoping this gets me through several more years. Got a kid in college and don't want a car note now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts