Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 HONDA PILOT
2 Posts
I just had a similar situation about a month ago i realized i had no four wheel drive anymore then the transmission would not engage when i almost came to a stop to turn into a driveway i selected 1st gear manually and it engaged and drove forward. artier work i drove home and the same thing happen a couple more times not every time though so i scanned the OBDII system doing a health report and came up with 2 codes the first was number 3 pressure sensor for the trany the second was the differential temp sens. replaced both and the accompanying fluids cleared the codes drove it for a week about 300 miles re scanned it and everything was perfect. then 2 days ago as i was driving home the VTM - 4 light came on and the check engine light came on so i stopped and turned the ignition off for about 30 seconds re started and the check engine light came back on right away but the VTM -4 light was off when i reached about 30 MPH the VTM-4 came back on and both stayed on until i got home and turn the ignition off. in the morning when i started it up again the same thing happen again just the check engine on until i hit about 30 MPH then both again
scanned it again and was surprised with what i found the code was 1491 EGR valve lift insufficient detected witch i was expecting from reading posts on this thread and 77-01 Power train system failure the second code made me worried since i recently started hearing a growling sound coming from the right rear of the car i was thinking it was a wheel bearing because when you swerve left the sound remains but when you swerve right the right rear wheel is partially unloaded and sound decreases indicating a wheel bearing on the right but now I am actually starting to get concerned with the rear end. i have cleared the codes and started the car drove it about 200 yards to park it and there were no lights that came on i engaged the VTM-4 system and disengaged it still no lights moving the car a short distance with it engaged.
reading the factory service manual i under stand the EGR might through a code only under certain situations but still needs to be addressed but the power train failure is the concerning one im going to take it for a test drive to see if that will make it through the same codes again but im wondering if anyone has experienced this set of problems before?
the pilot is a 2003 with 203500 miles on it i maintain it properly changing the fluids regularly and repairing any problems that occur promptly .
any input would be helpful thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem yesterday. Check Engine and VTM-4 light. Mechanic pulled the code and said EGR. He didn't have time to dig deeper right then since I just called to get a quick check and he was booked up. He said there was a loose connection and fixed that. Wondering if that was ERG Harness. He must have reset something and said if it comes back on, he will dig into it. 25 miles later down the road, both lights came back on. Will have him check intake mainfold and EGR valves.
Is there a recommended OBD II code scanner people recommend? Will that help with SRS codes too?

208,000 miles. Has been a workhorse and great vehicle.
I’m experiencing the same problem. My Pilot has 207000. Need your input or your results. Thank you.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,566 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The first thing you should do is have the codes read by a scanner which is capable of reading Honda specific codes. Report back what the codes are. Otherwise you’ll just be guessing what is wrong.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The first thing you should do is have the codes read by a scanner which is capable of reading Honda specific codes. Report back what the codes are. Otherwise you’ll just be guessing what is wrong.
Correct. Here are some options for that.
  1. dealer$hip's HD$ (Honda's Dollar-Sucking) machine
  2. OBD2 port pin jumping (free, but careful not to short circuit by mistake Traction control light causing VSA system light 2007 Pilot
  3. a Foxwell NT630 Plus scan tool (what I have gone with) How Do You Clear VSA Dash Lights with a Foxwell NT630...
I decided to go with #3. Well worth it if you use it more than once in your life, which is most likely.

·
Registered
2003 HONDA PILOT
2 Posts
I have a 2003 Honda Pilot
130,000 Miles
All Maintenance performed on schedule
New timing belt & spark plugs

ENGINE INDICATION LIGHT and VTM-4 light come on simultaneously - both are SOLID lights (freeway @ 60 Mph)

VTM-4 Light will go off when engine is restarted & come back on about 10 minutes into driving it.

I had to wait a week to get it in to the mechanic. During the week, the Engine light went off on it's own ... hmmm

Went to mechanic to find the codes were cleared

Today, Engine indication light started flashing and the VTM-4 light came on SOLID. (traveling on freeway at 60Mph)

Stopped the car, turned it off ... felt abandoned ... waited 10 minutes, restarted the car:
ENGINE LIGHT: SOLID
VTM-4: OFF

What is going on????? Dealer said I have to wait a week to get it in ~ they don't seem concerned ... perhaps they're hoping it'll breakdown & I'll by a new car??????

Any ideas????
my codes were 12-03 EGR valve lift insufficient detected but simply the egr malfunctioned briefly and this turned off the VTM-4 system the codes for the VTM-4 was scary until i did some recherche it read 77-01 power train system failure this is Honda's way of saying that the VTM-4 is disabled due to a emission code being detected i believe i reset the codes and was planing on cleaning the EGR valve when i was replacing the right rear wheel Bearing but since it hasn't reappeared i got lazy and left the EGR alone i have put a couple thousand miles on it since all of this happened with no problems personalty i wish Honda used a different definition tor the VTM-4 problem but that is what they used so that was my experience and solution i hope this helps

21 - 25 of 25 Posts