Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a partial transcript from a review at eopinions:

.......Honda VTEC engines are probably the world best. Toyota came up with the VVTI, and Mitsubishi's MIVEC, but if you read on many journals, and articles, Honda VTEC is often imitated but never duplicated. It gives both power and fuel economy, and with its patented oil cooling technology, expect these engines to last virtually forever.

Do you agree with the last sentence? Is it true that it has oil cooling technology, and is that something that can really extend engine life?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I know VTEC has to do with variable valve timing for optimum performance,etc. etc. that help to make an engine last longer. I've never heard of the oil cooling technology part.....you'd think if it was a well-known fact, Honda would advertise that information in their commercials and brochures.

In a way I can see how the oil cooling can help protect an engine from damage and premature wear, but there are also engines that don't have that technology that last just as long. GM's 3.8V6 is virtually bulletproof. I have the non-supercharged 3.8V6 (without the oil cooler) in my Grand Prix and it still runs like new after 4 years/75,000 miles using almost no oil between changes. :4:

But all the oil cooling capability in the world won't help a VTEC engine last if it keeps having fuel pump problems and pinging/knocking issues! :3:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Pilot-1 said:
GM's 3.8V6 is virtually bulletproof. I have the non-supercharged 3.8V6 (without the oil cooler) in my Grand Prix and it still runs like new after 4 years/75,000 miles using almost no oil between changes. :4:
As much as I bash GM for it's quality issues and poor resale, I will have to agree with Pilot-1's comment on the 3.8L V6. I have this engine in '88 Buick Park Avenue form, and it IS incredible. Too bad the rest of the car is falling apart. (HOOPTIE!) The engine is still very reliable and EMBARRASSINGLY POWERFUL with that famous GM low end torque, and after 189K, still getting 25 MPG. Not bad for an old granny mobile. -And by the way it ALWAYS starts -it may have no door seals, broken power seats, power mirror that will fall out and hang by wires, turn signal that wont cancel, ashtray face that falls off when opened, headlight ding that comes on whenever it wants, headliner falling on me, armrest that wont close, door handle broken, all paint peeled off...etc...etc...
Great engine yes, but the overall car quality is a detriment to it. I hope your GP doesn't turn into a pile like my Park!

·
Registered
276 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Great engine yes, but the overall car quality is a detriment to it. I hope your GP doesn't turn into a pile like my Park!
Even though I'm a GM guy at heart, I can find faults with their cars that are embarrassing. Every time I get into a new Trailblazer, I say to myself "hmm, what piece of trim can I pull off on this one?" :rolleyes: :D

But you have to admit they have made :eek:huge:eek: strides in quality since the 1980's. My GP is still solid, in my opinion the best GM car that is built today. I would be a repeat customer, but the re-designed 04's that come out next month are ugly! :1zhelp:

Now at a time when I buy my first Honda, I hear of declining quality at both Honda AND Toyota:mad: The *little* things I've had gone wrong with my Pilot would pretty much back that statement up. If Honda wants to avoid embarrassment, they better take care of these issues instead of saying "well, it's just normal".

(ha ha.......oops, I'm going way off-topic here!)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Me again!

I am disappointed at Honda for the recent quality issues. Not just Pilots either...my sis has an '01 Civic EX that has had a lot of quality issues, nothing major, but annoying little things like whats happening to the Pilot. My '94 Civic has been absolutely trouble free, and based my Pilot purchase on my previous ownership. I can hardly afford this Pilot, but need the space. So completely changing my lifestyle and spending habits for a car that has questionable quality issues really makes me feel like a fool. I hope things get turned around soon!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:

As much as I bash GM for it's quality issues and poor resale, I will have to agree with Pilot-1's comment on the 3.8L V6. I have this engine in '88 Buick Park Avenue form, and it IS incredible. Too bad the rest of the car is falling apart.
I traded in a '99 Park Avenue when I bought my Pilot. It was by far the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. My mileage was always in the upper 20's and lower 30's. This was my second Buick with the 3.8L V6 - the first being a '96 Regal. It too would always get good mileage.

YMMV

rod

·
Registered
7 Posts
It gives both power and fuel economy, and with its patented oil cooling technology, expect these engines to last virtually forever.
I think it's obvious that any engine will only last as well as the owner maintains it. If you neglect oil changes, tune-ups, etc., engine life will obviously be significantly reduced. With the materials that are going into modern engines, any well maintained engine should last you at least 100K miles.

As to the GM 3800...one of the best engines ever to come from Detroit's big three. It's been turbocharged, supercharged, used in mini vans, etc. If only they could get a hand on quality control...;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
Family Man said:
With the materials that are going into modern engines, any well maintained engine should last you at least 100K miles.
I'd like to think that with the materials that are going into modern engines, a poorly maintained engine would last at least 100K miles, while a well maintained engine would last at least 300K miles or more.

What are some of the high mileage stories out there?

Mine high mileage stories are:
1) a 1989 Volvo 745GL with 160000 miles and still running strong, and
2) a 1989 Volvo 245DL with 170000 miles, that was replaced with the Pilot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1989 Ford Ranger - 130K miles. Engine is still running, but everything else fell apart and was replaced. Has more fluid leaks than I can count.

1989 - Olds Cutless Supreme - 150K miles. Running great, gave to my brother after I got Pilot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
1993 Mercury Villager

1993 Mercury Villager

122,000 miles, going strong, doesn't use a drop of oil -- will probably go another 100k+ if maintained properly
[of course, being the Quest's twin, it's a Nissan engine/transmission]

Bought the Pilot in December as the Villager's replacement. Decided to get through this winter's road salt driving the Villager, so the Pilot's been sitting in my garage with about 150 miles on the odometer!

Another few weeks, and the "For Sale" sign is going in the Villager and the Pilot's coming out...talk about an exercise in WILLPOWER!!! :)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: 1993 Mercury Villager

JBucey said:
1993 Mercury Villager

122,000 miles, going strong, doesn't use a drop of oil -- will probably go another 100k+ if maintained properly
[of course, being the Quest's twin, it's a Nissan engine/transmission]

Bought the Pilot in December as the Villager's replacement. Decided to get through this winter's road salt driving the Villager, so the Pilot's been sitting in my garage with about 150 miles on the odometer!

Another few weeks, and the "For Sale" sign is going in the Villager and the Pilot's coming out...talk about an exercise in WILLPOWER!!! :)
Willpower would have been waiting to buy the Pilot! :2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Willpower

Willpower would have been waiting to buy the Pilot!
Well, I found a DEAL on the exact Pilot I wanted, and given what I had seen to that point in terms of deals (or lack thereof) and availability (or lack thereof) in my area, I decided to grab it. Besides, I plan to keep it a good 10-12 years, so a couple of months is immaterial in the scheme of things.

Fact is, I didn't expect to do this, but putting "almost free" miles on my 122k Villager seemed the thing to do when it seems every other day brings another crusty layer of salt.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I smell a new thread here!

My '94 Civic VX hatchback has the (I believe) first V-TEC engine...
the 1.5L V-TEC E ...correct me if I'm wrong.

Like I'd have to ASK to be corrected here;)

Anyway, my husband bought it brand new 10 years ago, and we have replaced absolutely NOTHING except brakes and tires. We currently have racked up 170,000. The thing is incredible, and was my reason for cheating on my GM roots and going Honda forever. I had recently come out of a bad relationship with my '89 Chevy Z24. Good horror stories to tell about that car. In our Civic,we gave regular oil changes and honestly only had gone for tune ups 3 times...smack me...but she still is faithful to us, and I completely trust her. I'm telling you, the Honda's just start this love affair that you can't escape :)

Long live the V-TEC!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm counting on it lasting a looonnng time.

My current go-to-work vehicle is my 87 VW Golf with 188,000 miles. I've taken 3 other VW's over 200,000 miles. I hope Honda engines are on par with VW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 1989 Civic has 220,000 miles and still running great. I was planning on selling it after buying my Pilot, but I'm not sure I can part with it. I love the Pilot, but it's fun to jump in the Civic every once in awhile - the 5 spd is so much fun!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey 74PilotMom

You'd better replace that timing belt REAL soon. My '94 Integra GS-R (yes, V-TEC) just ate its belt at 120K. Mrs. Lex's 1990 Civic (not V-TEC, not even close) made it to 150K on one belt, but it looked BAD when it came out.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Hey 74PilotMom

RedLex said:
You'd better replace that timing belt REAL soon. My '94 Integra GS-R (yes, V-TEC) just ate its belt at 120K. Mrs. Lex's 1990 Civic (not V-TEC, not even close) made it to 150K on one belt, but it looked BAD when it came out.
I'm going to have to check out what the last scheduled maintenance did... If there's no timing belt replacement then I'll be taking her in...she's overdue for the 150K anyway. It's just starting to make a little bit too much valve noise in the last week... no way we're doing a valve job on a v-tec ourselves!

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Hey 74PilotMom

74PILOTMOM said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

...she's overdue for the 150K anyway.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Speaking of overdue.... aren't you overdue, 74PILOTMOM? I thought the magical date was yesterday, the 18th???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts