Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I now have over 25,000 miles on my PILOT and I just noticed today that my PILOT has developed a knocking/pinging sound.

Now I know this problem as been talked to death on the site, but I have a very specific question.

The engine knock on my PILOT only happens as the engine reaches a point before the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Otherwise, there's no engine knocking - even if I slam the gas pedal to the floor for some rapid acceleration action.

For those of you who had to deal with the water pump/timing belt issue last year - does this sound familiar ??????

I have an appointment to take my PILOT into the shop on Monday to get the situation looked at.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
PILOTinginCO, sorry to hear that you've developed this problem. Hopefully, your dealer will resolve the issue for your right away once you take it in or just as suddenly it began, it'll disappear on its own.

As you may already know, I've had this problem almost right after I got my Pilot, but my k/p noise comes on the second I step on the gas hard enough to get the RPM past the 2K & beyond, no matter which gear and which point in the gear transition point I'm in.

When you say that your knock only happens only when your transmission's about to change from the 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, does that mean the noise comes on even if you are only gently stepping on the gas such that your RPM remains below the 2K mark while the gear change is taking place?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RipRock

There harder I'm on the gas, the more pronounced the "knocking/pinging" sounds just before the shift from one gear to the other (1 thru 3).

If I gently go thru the gears, I don't hear it. The harder I pound on the gas, the more I hear it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question for DaveMac

Where is the throttle cable bracket ??? If you can tell me the location, I'll track it down and give it a whack (figuratively of course).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Question for DaveMac

PILOTinginCO said:
Where is the throttle cable bracket ??? If you can tell me the location, I'll track it down and give it a whack (figuratively of course).
under hood (of course), drivers side, if standing at front of vehicle looking toward windshield...its just above & to the right of the brake fluid reservoir (that is in front of master cylinder). The bracket is attached to the firewall. The theory is that it is too close to the firewall causing a "rattle" under acceleration- that sounds alot like "pinging" from low octane fuel.
Simply grab the end of the bracket and bend it away from the firewall a little bit. This should all make sense when you see it. Just takes a few seconds to do. It's worth a shot..as I mentioned before... it solved my similar problem.
Good luck.

Reactions: Casmia

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Re: Question for DaveMac

davemac said:

under hood (of course), drivers side, if standing at front of vehicle looking toward windshield...its just above & to the right of the brake fluid reservoir (that is in front of master cylinder). The bracket is attached to the firewall. The theory is that it is too close to the firewall causing a "rattle" under acceleration- that sounds alot like "pinging" from low octane fuel.
Simply grab the end of the bracket and bend it away from the firewall a little bit. This should all make sense when you see it. Just takes a few seconds to do. It's worth a shot..as I mentioned before... it solved my similar problem.
Good luck.
Yup, sounds like that would make sense according to the decription PILOTinginCO gave. I don't own one YET, but on our '94 Accord (just hit 160k miles -and LOVE it) we began to hear something under the car when we hit the gas but only intill first gear, but not below say 1000RPM, and not if I took it REAL easy to second.

Anyway, the frequency, or vibrations of the engine between 1000 and 2500 RPM caused the sheilding around our catalytic converter to resonate. Makes perfect sense.

Hope davemac's advice works PILOTinginCO!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Problem Is Solved

See thread about "You Guys (gals) Are The Best!! for an explanations.

The short version is - the "bending of the bracket" worked like a charm!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Question for DaveMac and PILOTinginCO :
I 'd like to know how far is your Pilot's bracket to the firewall now. I haven't had any knocking/pinging sound problem yet but your information is really help in the future. Attached is my bracket photo.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
htd49

Hey Buddy,

Just bend the bracket back about a 1/4inch (give or take a l'il bit) and you'll be set. My measurement was my pinky-finger. I bent the bracket so that the tip of my finger now sits between it and the firewall/outside strut housing.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: My Problem Is Solved

PILOTinginCO said:
The short version is - the "bending of the bracket" worked like a charm!!!! [/B]
Good deal, I must give credit where it is due ..."The Worm" set me up with the fix many months back. I have no idea how someone (from MDX forum) discovered this "fix", but I'd bet you a cold beer that the dealer would not have known of it on your Monday appointment (which I'm assuming you have cancelled).

Glad to help.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Response To DaveMac

I may be giving Ralph Schomp Honda in Littleton, Colorado a little too much credit, but they may have. Their history with my wife's car has been awesome.

As for my Monday visit, I'm still taking my PILOT in. I need to have some of minor things worked on. The driver's seat has developed that slight movement problem when I'm making a left turn. The TSB on that fix should be easy enough.

The slots that hold the shoulder staps for the 2nd and 3rd row seats aren't holding the seatbelts in place like they used to. My service guy said he already knew what to do with them once my PILOT arrived.

I've also started to notice some pulsing in my brakes, so there's a brake rotor that is out of kilter somewhere, so I'm going to have that fixed.

I'm also having them install the "check valve" on the windshield washer squirters on the hood. Once again, my service guy knew exactly what I was talking about.

Plus, as if that's not enough, it's time for another Lube/Oil & Filter change.

My service adviser asked me how I was so aware of these little problem fixes, and I told him that I was a member of Honda-Pilot.org (a website comprised of PILOT owners) and we TALK A LOT!!!!! I told him, there probably isn't a problem that has cropped up with the PILOT that all of us on "the site" haven't discussed at length and were aware of what Honda has to say and is doing about them. His response was: "excellent"

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great fix. If my Pilot engine ever knocks, I'll know just what to do with my pinky finger. The Littleton dealer sounds like a gem. I'm glad to know there's some good ones out there.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Question for DaveMac

madisonian said:
Yup, sounds like that would make sense according to the decription PILOTinginCO gave. I don't own one YET, but on our '94 Accord (just hit 160k miles -and LOVE it) we began to hear something under the car when we hit the gas but only intill first gear, but not below say 1000RPM, and not if I took it REAL easy to second.

Anyway, the frequency, or vibrations of the engine between 1000 and 2500 RPM caused the sheilding around our catalytic converter to resonate. Makes perfect sense.

Hope davemac's advice works PILOTinginCO!
Even though my pinging noise comes on at above 2K RPM with a moderately hard or greater acceleration, I'm willing to try anything, I mean anything, to see if I can make my pinging noise go away, which has been tormenting me since shortly after I got the car.

Is this catalytic converter cover/shield easy to find once I get under the car? Would it be made out of the same material as the cover on the leftside of the muffler? What should I do to it to check if it's seated or installed properly? Does a simple tug or push suffice to check for that?

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated since if it means that my pinging noise will be gone forever, I'm willing to cover myself in tar and feathers and walk around downtown all day. I'm NOT kidding.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Riprock,

Shoot BPilot a PM/email and ask him about his chassis ears. He bought a set (not too expensive, mid $100's IIRC) to isolate suspension noise. Maybe he's willing to lend/rent/resell them if he's not using them anymore...

Good dealerships use them to isolate mystery noises. You'll need a copilot, but it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hmmm, interesting gadget you speak of, TW. Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in touch w/BPilot and get his thoughts on my problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts