Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have 3500 miles on my 2019 Pilot EXL and my engine starts to jerk off while accelarating or changing gears. What might be causing this jerks and how concerned should i be?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, what's up buddy... it's been 9 days since you posted this (by now I must believe you have taken your EXL to the dealer)... I own a 2016 and it started behaving the same way when I reached about almost 24k miles and long story short they said it was the fluid in my transmission that's it was dirty. They changed 2x and my baby was back to normal. So if you haven't taken it back to the dealer please do so, and keep us posted. Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, what's up buddy... it's been 9 days since you posted this (by now I must believe you have taken your EXL to the dealer)... I own a 2016 and it started behaving the same way when I reached about almost 24k miles and long story short they said it was the fluid in my transmission that's it was dirty. They changed 2x and my baby was back to normal. So if you haven't taken it back to the dealer please do so, and keep us posted. Good luck buddy!
The jerking is hard to replicate right now. Since it happens once in a while. I observe that accelerating below 2000rpm the engine seems gasping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It’s the ATF fluid. Happened to me and many other Pilots. Apparently there is a computer fault that is burning up the fluid. Change the fluid and get the latest software update from Honda.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i has 2017 touring 9 speeds happened sometimes in cold weather below 40f. i dont even have one issue in warm weather.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i noticed that it happens only to my Pilot whenever i am driving on a 2000rpm. and when accelerating/shift gear it jerks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How did you solve this? I’m having the same problem and the dealer can’t figure it out.
How old is your Pilot and how bad is the shifting? When your car is new, the transmission takes a while to get used to your driving style, but after that it's as smooth as butter (most of the time). The 9 speed is a really weird transmission because it has the smoothest shifts I've felt in a car, but also some of the worst shifts ever ( in an automatic trans).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How old is your Pilot and how bad is the shifting? When your car is new, the transmission takes a while to get used to your driving style, but after that it's as smooth as butter (most of the time). The 9 speed is a really weird transmission because it has the smoothest shifts I've felt in a car, but also some of the worst shifts ever ( in an automatic trans).
I got already 11K miles on my EXL and I still experience vibration everytime I maintain my acceleration on 2K rpm or below. I believed the vibration happens when it's shifting to 2nd or 3rd gear. But over 2K rpm the car is fine. No vibration or whatsoever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s a 2017 with 40k miles. It happens about once a week which is why they haven’t been able to replicate it. But when it happens it jerks so hard I feel like the car’s been hit. It will happen over and over until I shut off the car and restart it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It’s a 2017 with 40k miles. It happens about once a week which is why they haven’t been able to replicate it. But when it happens it jerks so hard I feel like the car’s been hit. It will happen over and over until I shut off the car and restart it.
What model do you have? EXL and below have 6 speed while Touring and Elite have 9 speed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? That would probably be my starting point. The thread below has more suggestions for a similar-sounding issue. There is a TSB for low-speed "judder" on the 6-speed transmission in your EXL. Of course, dealer has to observe it before they will apply the TSB.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Both of you guys are most probably having an issue with VCM. You could purchase an S-VCM or a VCM muzzler ll and the issue should be gone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Both of you guys are most probably having an issue with VCM. You could purchase an S-VCM or a VCM muzzler ll and the issue should be gone.
VCM appears to exacerbate torque convertor issues that rear up with burned up fluid. With clean fluid the symptoms would probably go away or be reduced. (Thinking of @Nail Grease "RPM dance of death") I agree that S-VCM or VCM Tuner II Advanced (Not Muzzler II, which is one of the older resistor-based devices which I don't recommend) should be installed on all Honda V-6s, but it won't cure the problem if the ATF is burned up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you ever had the transmission fluid changed? That would probably be my starting point. The thread below has more suggestions for a similar-sounding issue. There is a TSB for low-speed "judder" on the 6-speed transmission in your EXL. Of course, dealer has to observe it before they will apply the TSB.

Thanks for the advice. They changed the transmission fluid yesterday but the problem was happening again this morning.

·
Registered
128 Posts
VCM appears to exacerbate torque convertor issues that rear up with burned up fluid. With clean fluid the symptoms would probably go away or be reduced. (Thinking of @Nail Grease "RPM dance of death") I agree that S-VCM or VCM Tuner II Advanced (Not Muzzler II, which is one of the older resistor-based devices which I don't recommend) should be installed on all Honda V-6s, but it won't cure the problem if the ATF is burned up.
Based on my experience SVCM is not the absolute cure. Instead, it revealed issue I haven't experienced without it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks for the advice. They changed the transmission fluid yesterday but the problem was happening again this morning.
We have a 2018 EX-L, just purchased in July with 58k miles. The day after buying the car, the dash showed Transmission System Problem warning. Dealer changed the fluid,said it was fixed. 3 days later, the same warning came up. Trouble code P0741 was set by the computer. Honda installed new torque converter on warranty.

You may have a similar issue, just not severe enough to trigger the transmission warning on the dash. Document everything that happens and what the dealer does. Ask him what diagnostic codes come up when they work on the car. Get this information in writing on the service record. A slipping torque converter lockup clutch was the cause of our problem. If left unrepaired, this can overheat the fluid and damage the entire transmission. VCM seems to be responsible for early failure of the torque converter lockup clutch.

You still have both time and miles remaining on your Honda powertrain warranty. Keep on top of this issue and document the details, so you can prove that any failure occurred under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts