Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More lately, yet not the first time that this as happened. I’ve come to a stop, turn the key off, and remove the key from the ignition switch. The engine continues to run. I don’t hear the exhaust, as when I first turn turn the engine in, yet the motor is still purring along
Any ideas what may be going on and the fix for it?
2005 Pilot with 245,200 miles.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If you can't hear the exhaust, can you at least feel or hear it at the tail pipe(s)? If you raise the hood when this happens, are the belt driven accessories turning? (i.e., alternator, AC clutch, ps pump)

Is it possible what you think is the engine is just the fans running? They will sometimes do that after shutdown.

If none of the above, have you installed or had installed, any electrical accessories that require battery power?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I could see and feel the headers vibrating. I’ll look at the belts next time this happens. I fought it was fans, too, yet it runs like that in excess of five minutes. When I restart the engine, the starter motor kicks in and the engine comes to life. If it is the fans, it seems odd that this happens intermittently.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Thanks. I could see and feel the headers vibrating. I’ll look at the belts next time this happens. I fought it was fans, too, yet it runs like that in excess of five minutes. When I restart the engine, the starter motor kicks in and the engine comes to life. If it is the fans, it seems odd that this happens intermittently.
If it's the fans it's not odd if the engine gets hot from a lot of stop and go driving or hot weather, or the coolant level is low. It could also be an ect sensor going bad. If it is the fan or one of them, let us know which one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well... the engine is either still running (belts and all turning) or it's not. If it's still running really only one way that happens... and that's because the ECU doesn't see the ignition is off. I'd be looking at the ignition switch as well as the wiring but seems mostly likely the ignition switch itself assuming the engine is actually still running.

Newer cars will not "after run" like the old ones where hot cylinders could potentially diesel the engine even though the ignition source was disabled. Simply put the fuel and ignition are both controlled by the ECU so if the engine is running - it's because the ECU wants it to.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Indeed, probably ignition switch, if it actually is running. You could Jim Bob it by shooting in a little graphite or even silicone lubricant spray, but I'd favor fixing or replacing it properly.

Just a couple of questions, incidentally...
  • You don't have any aftermarket electronics installed, as mentioned, like a remote starter, do you?
  • Do you ever use your key for anything else, like opening envelopes or slicing open Amazon packages or the like? That'll gunk up your key and potentially transfer the stickiness into your ignition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More lately, yet not the first time that this as happened. I’ve come to a stop, turn the key off, and remove the key from the ignition switch. The engine continues to run. I don’t hear the exhaust, as when I first turn turn the engine in, yet the motor is still purring along
Any ideas what may be going on and the fix for it?
2005 Pilot with 245,200 miles.
it must be the fanS. I’ve beeb driving the Pilot for about a year or 1.5 years. I’ve never noticed it before. I heard them come on when I finally got home tonight and just waited. They finally stopped. Sorry for the false alarm.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Glad it was an easy and inexpensive "fix." :)

Still a good idea to check the coolant level in your radiator (only when it's cold, of course).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts