Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out to pick up a pizza in our 2006 Pilot, and a quarter mile from home the timing belt went south. The vehicle was pushing 260,000 miles at the time. The belt didn't break, and the suspicion is that the tensioner failed with approximately 61,000 on it. The valves were indeed bent and I ended up putting a motor from a 2008 that had 107,000 miles on it.

Is the blown motor worth anything? Would it be worthwhile to break it down and sell the heads and block, or haul it off to a junk yard? If the consensus is that it is worth the trouble to sell the parts, would the suggestion be to sell via Craigslist, ebay or is there another venue?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
You might be able to do that or you could check out selling it to a shop that specializes in rebuilt motors. They have to get motors to rebuild from somewhere. If you decide to pursue this option you want to ask them about core purchasing.

This is just one example you might look at: Quote Form | A&A Midwest

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Headed out to pick up a pizza in our 2006 Pilot, and a quarter mile from home the timing belt went south. The vehicle was pushing 260,000 miles at the time. The belt didn't break, and the suspicion is that the tensioner failed with approximately 61,000 on it. The valves were indeed bent and I ended up putting a motor from a 2008 that had 107,000 miles on it.

Is the blown motor worth anything? Would it be worthwhile to break it down and sell the heads and block, or haul it off to a junk yard? If the consensus is that it is worth the trouble to sell the parts, would the suggestion be to sell via Craigslist, ebay or is there another venue?
Unique problem.
All parts are worth something to some one. Is it worth your time and energy? You can find used valve covers, intake manifolds, coils and injectors etc etc for sale on eBay. But I'm sure someone would be glad to haul it off for you for free unless you want to drop it off at the scrap metal place for some beer money.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
OP I think your best value is scrap... most rebuilders would rather start with a wrecked vehicle that had a running motor.

Might have some value in marine applications... View attachment 138990
Aluminum is too light for such applications!

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might be able to do that or you could check out selling it to a shop that specializes in rebuilt motors. They have to get motors to rebuild from somewhere. If you decide to pursue this option you want to ask them about core purchasing.

This is just one example you might look at: Quote Form | A&A Midwest
Thanks for your time and suggestion--much appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts