Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My light came for an oil change and a coolant flush and fill. This is my first time so I am wondering if anyone has used the Peak Original Equipment Technology Asian Blue 50/50 Antifreeze + Coolant (1 Gallon). Since I will be doing a complete flush and fill what are the recommendations? Does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
For starters, here are the quantities, from p. 288 of the Owner's Manual:
Engine coolant

Change - 1.93 US gal (7.3 l)*
Total - 2.43 US gal (9.2 l)

*Including the coolant in the reserve tank and that remaining in the engine
Reserve tank capacity: 0.193 US gal (0.73 l)
Don't forget to burp it at the end.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Here's the complete procedure from the 2006-2008 Service Manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Any thoughts on Peak Original Equipment Technology Asian Blue 50/50 Antifreeze?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
You're welcome, neighbor.

Although the manual, written to err on the side of caution, legal @$$-covering and a constant eye on Honda's profit margins, says:

Always use Honda Long-Life
Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. This
coolant is pre-mixed with 50 %
antifreeze and 50 % water. Never add
straight antifreeze or plain water.
If Honda antifreeze/coolant is not
available, you may use another
major-brand non-silicate coolant as a
temporary replacement. Make sure it
is a high-quality coolant
recommended for aluminum engines.
Continued use of any non-Honda
coolant can result in corrosion,
causing the cooling system to
malfunction or fail. Have the cooling
system flushed and refilled with
Honda antifreeze/coolant as soon as
possible.
As long as you check it's non-silicate, blue is the Pilot's favorite flavor of coolant so maybe you'll be OK. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ethylene-glycol antifreeze sold under different brands in North America is simply a re-labelled and diluted to 50-50% product made by Nobel, Shell and Dow Chemicals. What's on the label does not matter as long as it is ethylene-glycol and not silicate.

Reactions: JrBK

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping this would be a pretty easy DIY...

I located the wing nut on the radiator and got that loose and drained without issue. I located the drain plug on the back of the engine but I could not get it loose. I tried to break it free with a deep socket, shallow socket and just could not get it to budge. I also sprayed it with some penetrating oil and let it sit. Tried it again without any success. I sprayed it with penetrating oil a few more times and will let it sit over night.

I was thinking I could just drain it all from the front so I filled it with 1 gallon of distilled water, ran it for the recommended time, topped it off and ran it again. I then drained it from the front again. I did this two more times but left the water in it the last time. The color of the coolant got lighter and lighter but it is not completely flushed. Since I can only get about 1 gallon out when I only drain it from the radiator I can't really finish the job till I loosen the back drain bolt or find another way to empty that coolant.

I used some pretty good force to get it loose but didn't want to break anything since it is in a touch spot. Any recommendations from anyone who has dealt with this type of issue? I wonder if I could remove the larger bolt and just replace both. Or is there another way to completely drain it? Please help!

To top it off the PO used the green stuff. UGH! Haven't had any cooling issues thus far (220,948 miles and counting) and I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Unless you have some major issue with the coolant in the block, such as contamination from a gasket failure, you do not absolutely have to flush it completely. If it is clear and does not contain solid particles, then you are fine draining from the front and filling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless you have some major issue with the coolant in the block, such as contamination from a gasket failure, you do not absolutely have to flush it completely. If it is clear and does not contain solid particles, then you are fine draining from the front and filling.
One problem is that the PO used the green stuff. I want to be sure I get as much of that out as I can. I have pulled and filled it with three gallons so far.

I was thinking I would just bring it to my mechanic and have him break it free. I am working on ramps and dont' have much room for leverage. I called the stealership to see about getting the parts in case the drain bolt was seized and broke when he attempted to get it off. The stealership talked to the tech and said that they drain it from the front of the block. apparently there is another drain plug up there. I will try that and see where it gets us.

I attached a picture. "A" is the drain bolt I am having issues with. "B" is the one I will try next...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Green or blue does not matter. It is just the die which turns brown if overheated so that you know when you look at it through the filler cap or in the expansion tank.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,959 Posts
If you pull the thermostat off some coolant will drain. Have you considered raising the rear of the Pilot to see if you drain more coolant out? When I drained my radiator and replaced the thermostat I had to replace slightly less than 2 gallons, and that was without messing with the block drain ports.
Also now that you have introduced a high percentage of distilled water into the cooling system if you only get half of it out and use 50/50 coolant the final mix will be roughly 25% coolant and 75% water.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If you pull the thermostat off some coolant will drain. Have you considered raising the rear of the Pilot to see if you drain more coolant out? When I drained my radiator and replaced the thermostat I had to replace slightly less than 2 gallons, and that was without messing with the block drain ports.
Also now that you have introduced a high percentage of distilled water into the cooling system if you only get half of it out and use 50/50 coolant the final mix will be roughly 25% coolant and 75% water.
This is really going to suck if the OP lives in a Winter Area. Anyone see what Ice can do to a block and radiator if frozen ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered raising the rear of the Pilot to see if you drain more coolant out?
Thank you for this suggestion. This is exactly what I did. My driveway is on an incline and I pulled the back tires up on ramps to get more of an incline. I was able to get about a little more than 1 3/4 gallons out. It wasn't very hard to do it this way. I left the thermostat since it wasn't broke. New ones at my local parts store only offered a 1 year warranty. It is easy enough to swap this out if I need to do it anytime soon.

The coolant looks very good and is still blue so I am certain I got most of the old stuff flushed and diluted with the distilled water. I filled the overflow reservoir halfway and burped it. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple days.

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
A bad thermostat might cost you an engine, so why risking an aftermarket part?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts