Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out with my family last Sunday when all of sudden these showed up all at once on the dashboard:
  1. check ENGINE amber light
  2. VTM-4 amber light
  3. VSA amber light
It was shocking. Googled a little and there were differing opinions. So, I kept my calm and drove it home and pulled out my trusted ODB reader and hooked it up.
The ECU flashed a P0305 code. Referred to Service Manual and found out it was Cylinder #5 misfire.

Misfire may mean:
  • bad spark plug
  • bad coil

Started the engine and went to listen to the exhaust and it does not sound like usual smooth Pilot exhaust.

So, I ordered 6 spark plugs and when I popped open the coil for cylinder #5, there was electrical odor. Took a while to get to the plug because of tight space.
Finally got the plug out and the ignition tip was full of carbon and dirty. Made a minor adjustment to the gap of the new plug. Replaced it and tested the SUV on a 5 mile run with slow acceleration and hard acceleration. It was smooth as butter. Exhaust sounded pretty smooth again.

The cylinder # is attached for your reference.

I will replace the rest of the 5 plugs this weekend. Mine is a 2010 EX-L with 88+K miles. Time to replace all of them. Cheap parts anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Pilot AWD SE
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE:

I have finally found the time to replace the other 5 spark plugs.
The easiest ones to replace are cylinder #1, 4, 5, 6.
Cylinder #2 gets more difficult and cylinder #3 is a PITA to work with due to limited space. Consequently, you need to change your wrench extensions to fit into the small amount of space.

I highly recommend this spark plug socket because of:
  • its magnetic property to grab the plug when you are installing or removing it; so as not to drop the plug into the cylinder which will alter the gap.
  • swivel ball was a time saver when you are maniuplating the wrench into the cylinder
It's a really well thought out tool that will make your life of replacing spark plugs that much better by eliminating, at least, 60% of the pain. I replaced cylinder #5 with a regular socket it was so painful but I got this new socket to replace the rest of the 5. Buy it, you will be thankful you did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts